Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Junior D wrote: »
    I think he does have the potential, yeah. I saw him a few times with Vitesse as well and he looked very good to me anyway.
    I think if he can tighten up defensively he could be a very good player considering how good a left peg he has and how much he can offer going forward.

I'd personally rate him higher than Fabio, always thought Fabio was a bit overrated myself!
    IMO Buttner wont make it at United.Too many flaws in his game.He will end up at some mid table team,will still have a decent career but he's not United quality.
    If it wasnt for injuries ,I think Fabio would have been pushing Evra for the the LB spot already.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It was said at the time United signed him Buttner was too raw, especially defensively and simply never as good as some United fans had hoped. The move came too early for him and it's very much proven the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

in two years
    yomtea98 wrote: »
    Bernard has moved to Shaktar Dortmund

Dortmund won't need Bernard. We have Hofmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

An Citeog wrote: »
    It wasn't actually down to shirt sales. Real Madrid controlled 50% of Beckham's image rights which is where they made their money. I'm not sure if they're still getting that big a slice from Ronaldo and other marquee signings but that's where a huge amount of their revenue comes from.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    All players have to give 50% image rights to Madrid to join. Its a term thats set in stone by the club.

Beckham paid off his own fee and several first team wages like Zidane & Figo during his time in Madrid. Something that Perez boasts to anyone that will listen.
    I have my doubts about all this of fees being made back by the club, don't know how Zidane especially made over €50 million in image rights alone when he only gave 50%, I doubt any sports star makes that sort of cash.

Took this from the SSC. A good read for anyone with an interest in La Liga, goes a bit more into detail about just how broke the league as a whole is. http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/archives/30010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Dortmund won't need Bernard. We have Hofmann.

Do all these young, talented German kids come off an assembly line?

They seem to have a ridiculous amount of young talent coming through for several years now, with no sign of it slowing down. Kind of scary the likes of Draxler is not even 20 yet. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Moneymaker wrote: »

They seem to have a ridiculous amount of young talent coming through for several years now, with no sign of it slowing down. Kind of scary the likes of Draxler is not even 20 yet. :eek:

Watch out for Draxler's new teammate, Leon Goretzka, too.

When it comes to goalkeepers, central midfielders and attacking midfielders, Germany are sorted. Could improve in other areas however in regards to youth, though I do really like Ginter at Frankfurt and think himself and Hummels partnership is the future for the national team. When it comes to strikers though is where things are not so clear cut.

Sarr (CB) and Ducksch (ST) are two other players I'm looking forward to seeing develop over the next couple of seasons at Dortmund, wouldn't surprise me seeing them establish themselves as first team players. Durm (RB) is another one perhaps as well to note.

Oat23 wrote: »

Max Meyer from their youth is very highly rated. The heir to Draxler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Oat23 wrote: »

if football manager is anythin to go by then he'll be a top player! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I was taking the Sporting Lisbon tour this morning when we were invited to attend the press conference for the unveiling on their new Algerian striker Islam Slimani (I think). Didn't have a clue what was going on, but it was a nice touch.
    Heading to watch Sporting and Fiorentina on Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I was taking the Sporting Lisbon tour this morning when we were invited to attend the press conference for the unveiling on their new Algerian striker Islam Slimani (I think). Didn't have a clue what was going on, but it was a nice touch.
    Heading to watch Sporting and Fiorentina on Sunday :D

are they still broke or what's going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

batistuta9 wrote: »

Not sure about their financial situation, but they are definitely missing a trick at extracting an extra few Euro from people taking the tour. The club shop is small, no coffee, water or snacks available and you have to go searching for the ticket office (we nearly gave up) someone with half a business brain could double tour takings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Sporting have debts of over two hundred million euro and fully owned only four of their players in last season's squad. The big three in Portugal (themselves, Porto and Benfica) all have big, big debts.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Not sure about their financial situation, but they are definitely missing a trick at extracting an extra few Euro from people taking the tour. The club shop is small, no coffee, water or snacks available and you have to go searching for the ticket office (we nearly gave up) someone with half a business brain could double tour takings.

would there be a big interest in the tours
    Sporting have debts of over two hundred million euro and fully owned only four of their players in last season's squad. The big three in Portugal (themselves, Porto and Benfica) all have big, big debts.

a lot of clubs have debt but it doesn't really seem to effect them too much, is that what it's like for porto & benfica?
    whereas the last i heard on sporting was they needed to sell players or they'd be in big trouble, that was ages ago though maybe even last summer.
    they finished 7th last season too so no european money for them this year

benfica have recently launched their own TV channel, which will show their games first in the world to do this i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

in some thread here someone said the club get a higher percentage from shirts sold in the club shop or official stores, compared to other sports shops/whatever. Either way the money a club gets from a shirt sale is very small

Beckham cost €35 at the time, going by this article below he would've had to sell 2,916,666.67 shirts.
    the data used is an average from '05-'09 but states the most jerseys sold by clubs (man u & Real) was between 1.2-1.5m a year.
    you might be including other incomes for beckham & ronaldo but jerseys certainly aren't doing it or even covering their wages

article done last summer http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/7/30/3201349/how-much-are-shirt-sales-really-worth
    COYVB wrote: »
    Given that united and barca sell the most jerseys a season at about 2.2m, and that the clubs only see about £15m for ones sold in official club shops, and £2m sold at third party stores, there's absolutely no chance AT ALL that ronaldo made back anything resembling his transfer fee on merchandise sales yet. Like I said, it's not enough to cover 6 months wages for these guys, never mind their signing fees. It's a complete myth

Show me figures that Beckham made his fee back before the season... because that'd have needed Real to sell about 1.6 MILLION jerseys Beckham from their club shop. Given that Barca and United sell about 25% more than that globally over the course of a year, I'm calling BS on that one

*edit*

beaten to it

Its not just the jersey sales.

Its the value of sticking a poster boy on a poster to sell your club/brand. its aftershave ads, biscuits its anything that the chap is in. Its selling your club to markets that are not normally accessible to football clubs.

i didnt mention jerseys tho :p

Excellent post batistuta btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

benfica have recently launched their own TV channel, which will show their games first in the world to do this i think

Does that mean that they'll get no tv money other than the subscriptions to their channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fair few Euro clubs show their games on PPV internet streams.

I did my thesis on that very subject 7 years ago, noone bought in it tho. I was right dammit!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

a lot of clubs have debt but it doesn't really seem to effect them too much, is that what it's like for porto & benfica?
    whereas the last i heard on sporting was they needed to sell players or they'd be in big trouble, that was ages ago though maybe even last summer.
    they finished 7th last season too so no european money for them this year
    Benfica's debt is estimated to be around the two hundred and forty million mark. I've seen various figures for Porto. One estimate placed it at three hundred and thirty million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fair play to Liverpool I have to say, nice to see the player not winning for once

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Does that mean that they'll get no tv money other than the subscriptions to their channel?

i think they'll get some TV money for away games, portugal has the same set up as spain with TV rights done by each club & not the league as a whole, going by the article

they've become the sole broadcaster for their home games and also have exclusive rights to the PL in portugal for the next 3 seasons

€10 a month for the channel

this is the thread about it with the story http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056984071

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Headshot wrote: »
    Fair play to Liverpool I have to say, nice to see the player not winning for once

Too early to say that, by the end of window id expect 2 out of the 3 (Rooney, Suarez and Bale) to have 'engineered' moves....

Good chance of all 3

Liverpool owner was quite convincing thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Pretty buggered at the moment. At the start of this year, the coach started using reserve/youth team players to blood them in for the start of this season due to sales.

The Wolf has gone to Norwich for about £8.5million and spent £350K on his replacement (Slimani). Capel is for sale for £6million and the reserve player Bruma is seen as his replacement. Eric Dier and Thiago Ilori are those that are tasked with stepping up pretty much full time this season unless they're sold.

Filipe Chaby, Cristian Ponde, and Rúben Semedo have also been promoted to the first team squad this summer. Most 'Ins' have been loans, very small spends and inner club promotion.

Sporting have spent approx. £1.5 million on signings and have brought in around £11.5 million from sales so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Media in general and Perez seem to have done a u-turn on Bale leaving, looking like he'll stay now. If he does stay it will have been an extremely successful transfer window, sold no one of significant importance, brought in real quality and the club, and Bale in particular, will have gained massive exposure. Just give us another CB and I'll be over the moon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Headshot wrote: »
    Liverpool owner was quite convincing thou

Saying tonight that Suarez isn't going anywhere because Liverpool haven't the time to sign a replacement, seems pretty unequivocal to me.

I can't see the owners back tracking on this, they got burned badly by the Carroll deal and had to issue a public apology about the Dempsey thing a year ago. I think they are prepared to make a stand on this and the club seems to have the strongest hand. Arsenal would have to offer megabucks which isn't going to happen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its not just the jersey sales.

Its the value of sticking a poster boy on a poster to sell your club/brand. its aftershave ads, biscuits its anything that the chap is in. Its selling your club to markets that are not normally accessible to football clubs.

i didnt mention jerseys tho :p

Excellent post batistuta btw

i had a quick google on image rights when searching for the stuff on the jersey sales but only read an old article on the BBC about it

what i took from it was the image rights split occurs when the player & club are both being represented by the image, so a FIFA cover or cola-cola ad if wearing the jersey, the clubs own commercial deals too where players appear, that kind of stuff

and when - i'll use beckham - as an underware model, shaving instructor, etc. would this not be arranged by 'brand beckham' or the players own PR and the income solely theirs?

Piazon joins Vitesse from Chelsea on loan.

Wolfsburg have bid €20m for Osvaldo according to Sky Italia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If that's true Roma will be doing backflips of joy, they've been trying to get rid of his since march, he's a headcase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Huge money for them, i was thinking it would be a much smaller fee if it was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

:eek:

:confused:

:pac:

Lyon's Lisandro Lopez has joined Al Ghafara for €7.2M

Someone I'll always feel should have achieved far more in his career once he left Porto.

Waste of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Lyon's Lisandro Lopez has joined Al Ghafara for €7.2M.

Didn`t they sign Bastos too?

Meant to ask earlier but I am sure Porto & Benfica do get screwed on 3rd party deals, is that they are that skint.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Didn`t they sign Bastos too?

Meant to ask earlier but I am sure Porto & Benfica do get screwed on 3rd party deals, is that they are that skint.

Bastos joined Al Ain in UAE.

Al Ghafara are in Qatar apparently.

Yes, very much so they get shafted on many of their deals because of 3rd parties.

Barrios to Spartak Moscow for €7M

Iz sad panda.

Good signing for Spartak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Seaneh wrote: »
    If that's true Roma will be doing backflips of joy, they've been trying to get rid of his since march, he's a headcase.

Cassano V.2

Plenty of talent, but he's a raving madman.

Lyon's Lisandro Lopez has joined Al Ghafara for €7.2M

Someone I'll always feel should have achieved far more in his career once he left Porto.

Christ, I thought he had won Ligue 1 with Lyon at least once...

0cf2a79b96ad0cb228b853857782d540.png

Only 30 years old too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Cassano V.2

Plenty of talent, but he's a raving madman.

Apparently has a life sized statue of Mick Jagger in his living room. Awesome player, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Barrios to Spartak Moscow for €7M

Iz sad panda.

I hope, they don't sign Kagawa as well :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone know anything about Ondrej Celustka (Czech right back who plays for Trabzonspor)? Looks like there's a good chance he's joining Sunderland for around £1m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Ondrej Celustka (Czech right back who plays for Trabzonspor)? Looks like there's a good chance he's joining Sunderland for around £1m.

Close to a whole new team now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Close to a whole new team now!

Another full back and central midfielder still to come hopefully.

It's well needed anyway. The squad we had were beyond awful, took us to the brink of relegation last year, and if we didn't make wholesale changes this year we'd have gone down without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Cardiff have signed Gary Medel.

I know a few on the Liverpool thread who would have been happy to see him come to Liverpool

tok9 wrote: »

I know a few on the Liverpool thread who would have been happy to see him come to Liverpool

Nutter

The cards will be strong with this one

Overrated in the Liverpool thread too.

*hides*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Coming up on a £30m spend by Cardiff so far, and it should have been even more considering they missed out on a couple of players.

I'm not sure how much money the promoted clubs are getting this season. Are Cardiff being bankrolled by a foreign investor or are the promoted clubs getting a bigger financial windfall? Or a bit of both?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Remember when spending 30 million was a big deal. In 2001 when Fulham got promoted there were people tipping them to be dark horses for 4th place because they spend about 30 million. Cardiff despite their spend would still be considered one of the faves to go down.

Advertisement