Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the new TV money is probably what's doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Don't Cardiff have a Malaysian owner. He changed the color of their jersey. Is he putting money into the club? 30 million is a lot of tv money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Overrated in the Liverpool thread too.

*hides*

We're constantly admiring other peoples washing in the LFC thread while we put out our own dirty sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Overrated in the Liverpool thread too.

*hides*

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reaction, I can tell you I don't have time to play. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let your disrespect for Medel stop now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jonny666 wrote: »
    Don't Cardiff have a Malaysian owner. He changed the color of their jersey. Is he putting money into the club? 30 million is a lot of tv money!!!

the team who finishes bottom will get around £63m - to give you some idea, thats more than this seasons winners got i think

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kess73 wrote: »
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reaction, I can tell you I don't have time to play. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let your disrespect for Medel stop now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you

:p

It's not that he's a bad player, but compared to say a certain Argentine midfield destroyer who used to play for us, he isn't a patch on Masch and is a loose cannon to put it kindly. I'd rather have his team mate at Sevilla who he plays alongside :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sakho wants out of PSG. He's fallen to 4th in the Centre back pecking order there. I'm sure a few English clubs will be interested.

It's not that he's a bad player, but compared to say a certain Argentine midfield destroyer who used to play for us, he isn't a patch on Masch and is a loose cannon to put it kindly. I'd rather have his team mate at Sevilla who he plays alongside :)

No at chance of getting him imo. If he moves in this window or in the next, it will be to a club in a much better position to Liverpool in terms of offering CL etc., and it will be for a transfer fee much larger than what Medel looks to be going for.

Medel would, for my money, improve the current Liverpool midfield options and would have added energy/steel to a midfield badly lacking in both.

I think he will do quite well in the EPL and will prove to be a smart purchase by Cardiff. Quite a few good midfielders have come to the EPL this summer for somewhat modest fees, and am really looking forward to seeing how the likes of Medel, Fer, Capoue, and Wanyama do, as well as looking out for some of the more expensive buys like Paulinho. Seems there is a lot of talk building again about Ever Banega coming to the EPL for a smallish fee as well, so that would be another good player to look out for during the season.

Of the modest fee midfielders that have arrived to date, I must say that Capoue and Fer are the two I am most keen to see how they do in the EPL. Reckon both could turn out to be bargain buys.

greendom wrote: »
    Sakho wants out of PSG. He's fallen to 4th in the Centre back pecking order there. I'm sure a few English clubs will be interested.

He had a few massive fallings out there over the past 12 months or so which saw him lose ground in the squad rankings rather than poor performances. Excellent player though, and for the rumoured fee he would be a no brainer for any team looking for a quality leftsided centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He had a few massive fallings out there over the past 12 months or so which saw him lose ground in the squad rankings rather than poor performances. Excellent player though, and for the rumoured fee he would be a no brainer for any team looking for a quality leftsided centre back.
    He apparently wants both guaranteed first team and champions league football. That may make a move a little more tricky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I dont watch much Ligue 1, would Sakho be a good fit for Barcelona? I'll take anyone at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Seems there is a lot of talk building again about Ever Banega coming to the EPL for a smallish fee as well, so that would be another good player to look out for during the season.

Not going to happen- there would be war. He is Valencia's best player by miles- pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

elefant wrote: »
    Not going to happen- there would be war. He is Valencia's best player by miles- pure class.
    The valencia that sold soldado, alba, mata, silva, villa etc. in the past few years?
    Has their financial situation improved?

Aha Shake wrote: »
    The valencia that sold soldado, alba, mata, silva, villa etc. in the past few years?
    Has there financial situation improved?

No, I was talking about Valentia Island- apologies for my spelling.

Valencia needed to make a 20 million profit in transfers this summer to balance not qualifying for the Champions League. The squad is stronger now than last season, and that's after making a 35 million profit on transfers, and reducing the wage bill.

There's still talk of Aly Cissokho moving to Liverpool and Pablo Piatti moving to anyone who will pay for him, as well as a striker to possibly add to the squad following Soldado's departure. Selling Banega would be a complete disaster for the club.

miralize wrote: »
    I dont watch much Ligue 1, would Sakho be a good fit for Barcelona? I'll take anyone at this stage

Yes. I'd rate him higher than Luiz anyway, much higher.

Oh thank ****

I still have my doubts we'll get a decent CB. Rosell let the entire world know we're still looking for a defender, and that immediately drives the prices up.

No, I was talking about Valentia Island- apologies for my spelling.

Valencia needed to make a 20 million profit in transfers this summer to balance not qualifying for the Champions League. The squad is stronger now than last season, and that's after making a 35 million profit on transfers, and reducing the wage bill.

There's still talk of Aly Cissokho moving to Liverpool and Pablo Piatti moving to anyone who will pay for him, as well as a striker to possibly add to the squad following Soldado's departure. Selling Banega would be a complete disaster for the club.

Didn't buy into the Next/New Messi stuff when at Almeria, but I really had somewhat high hopes for him for Valencia originally to be a new Aimar. Such a disappointing signing.

No at chance of getting him imo. If he moves in this window or in the next, it will be to a club in a much better position to Liverpool in terms of offering CL etc., and it will be for a transfer fee much larger than what Medel looks to be going for.

Medel would, for my money, improve the current Liverpool midfield options and would have added energy/steel to a midfield badly lacking in both.

I think he will do quite well in the EPL and will prove to be a smart purchase by Cardiff. Quite a few good midfielders have come to the EPL this summer for somewhat modest fees, and am really looking forward to seeing how the likes of Medel, Fer, Capoue, and Wanyama do, as well as looking out for some of the more expensive buys like Paulinho. Seems there is a lot of talk building again about Ever Banega coming to the EPL for a smallish fee as well, so that would be another good player to look out for during the season.

Of the modest fee midfielders that have arrived to date, I must say that Capoue and Fer are the two I am most keen to see how they do in the EPL. Reckon both could turn out to be bargain buys.

Sevilla are in such a state financially that they very well might sell him in the next few weeks. It is looking a bit more unlikely now that Medel has been signed.

Medel will be great for the To Be Booked betting market :D Seriously though, I agree with much of what you say, but I believe he plays such a fine line between high intensity and insanity, I'd be worried about him being sent off every game, as good as he is talent wise.

Would love Banega myself, well I certainly did before he ran over his own foot! Still gladly have him at Liverpool or Dortmund, not that the latter need him as you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oh thank ****

I still have my doubts we'll get a decent CB. Rosell let the entire world know we're still looking for a defender, and that immediately drives the prices up.

It was hardly a secret. :pac:

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It was hardly a secret. :pac:

Well yeah, but Rossell could've bluffed again and just bought a CDM - he fully believes in the CDM to CB conversion process.

• Advertisement

Didn't buy into the Next/New Messi stuff when at Almeria, but I really had somewhat high hopes for him for Valencia originally to be a new Aimar. Such a disappointing signing.

He looks like Messi, that's about it! He's been messed around a bit, wasn't in favour, and now he's worth more to the club being transferred than sitting on the bench.

Sevilla are in such a state financially that they very well might sell him in the next few weeks. It is looking a bit more unlikely now that Medel has been signed.

Medel will be great for the To Be Booked betting market :D Seriously though, I agree with much of what you say, but I believe he plays such a fine line between high intensity and insanity, I'd be worried about him being sent off every game, as good as he is talent wise.

Would love Banega myself, well I certainly did before he ran over his own foot! Still gladly have him at Liverpool or Dortmund, not that the latter need him as you know.

He has come back very well since that incident. Certainly looks like the player he was beforehand. Like yourself I would love to get Banega as well, but unfortunately I cannot see Liverpool trying for him or a player like him. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well yeah, but Rossell could've bluffed again and just bought a CDM - he fully believes in the CDM to CB conversion process.

Bang Alex Song in there, be grand :pac:
    He looks like Messi, that's about it! He's been messed around a bit, wasn't in favour, and now he's worth more to the club being transferred than sitting on the bench.

Piatti is talented but pretty much has no application or bottle. You don't want an 'enigma' like him at Liverpool. He'll be far far away when the going gets tough.
    He has come back very well since that incident. Certainly looks like the player he was beforehand. Like yourself I would love to get Banega as well, but unfortunately I cannot see Liverpool trying for him or a player like him. :(

I've had this discussion with you before Kess but Banega (if you could calm him down a bit) would be ideal for Liverpool and a better buy than Eriksen imo if you want an immediate impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Nice little summary of all the ins and outs (so far)

BBC SITE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Bale to go for 90mil! 8mil a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chamakh confirmed now.

Crystal Palace have announced the signing of Marounae Chamakh.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/chamakh-signs-for-palace-982936.aspx
    Crystal Palace are delighted to confirm the signing of Morocco international striker Marouane Chamakh on a one-year deal.

The former Arsenal forward has joined the Eagles on a permanent deal after competing a medical in SE25, and will wear the number 29 shirt.

French-born Chamakh, 29, came to English football in June 2010, after joining Arsenal on a free transfer from Bordeaux, where he played more than 250 matches, scoring 61 goals.

He scored 14 goals during his time at the Emirates Stadium, before spending a spell on loan at London neighbours West Ham at the end of the 2012/13 season.

Chamakh, who has also scored 17 goals in 63 appearances so far for his country, is the third striker to be brought in by Ian Holloway this summer, following the arrivals of Kevin Phillips on a free transfer and Dwight Gayle from Peterborough United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Johner wrote: »
    Chamakh confirmed now.

Blew my mind about a week ago when i realised hes 29! Thought he was about 23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Johner wrote: »
    Chamakh confirmed now.

Palace also trying to take Darren Bent on a loan deal in which they would pay his £65,000 a week wage in full and sign him permanently if they stay up.

Fulham and Newcastle have had cash bids rejected though so I'd be surprised if Villa said yes to this.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/crystal-palace/10238712/Crystal-Palace-to-move-to-end-Darren-Bents-Aston-Villa-misery-with-ambitious-loan-bid.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tomorrow is the day I'll find out what this got me! :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85009265&postcount=1610

Alderweireld to Spartak Moscow for €7M is all but confirmed it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Stewart Downing to West Ham is done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

West Brom have signed Vydra on a season long loan. Good move that, he should do well for them.

Alderweireld to Spartak Moscow for €7M is all but confirmed it seems.

Rodgers!
    americanrage.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

GTR63 wrote: »
    Rodgers
    Were they even in for him?
    The amount of players that move in a transfer window that were supposed to be signing for Liverpool gets bigger by the year.

• Advertisement

Were they even in for him?
    The amount of players that move in a transfer window that were supposed to be signing for Liverpool gets bigger by the year.

At that price we should be.

Rodgers!
    americanrage.gif

Mantel's beard is glorious.

_____

L'Equipe saying PSG want Dani Alves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

At that price we should be.
    Not doubting that part. Maybe I'm just too sceptical when it comes to transfers. I think the majority of stories are completely fabricated or snowball from the slightest bit of interest from a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Stewart Downing has completed his transfer from Liverpool to West Ham for an undisclosed fee! Liverpool won't disclose it because it's another shambles of a failure for them in the transfer market! Bought for £20 million two years ago and sold for what's been rumoured to be £6 million. This coupled with the sale of Andy Carroll to the same club for £15 million, £20 million less than Liverpool paid for him! Haha! And Liverpool's owner was wondering what they were smoking at the Emirates!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DenMan wrote: »
    Stewart Downing has completed his transfer from Liverpool to West Ham for an undisclosed fee! Liverpool won't disclose it because it's another shambles of a failure for them in the transfer market! Bought for £20 million two years ago and sold for what's been rumoured to be £6 million. This coupled with the sale of Andy Carroll to the same club for £15 million, £20 million less than Liverpool paid for him! Haha! And Liverpool's owner was wondering what they were smoking at the Emirates!!!

Most transfers are undisclosed these days regardless of how much is made or lost on the player compared to previous deals.

Its alot better to cut your losses on 2 guys earning about 60-80k a week then it is to keep them for another 3 years and have them sponge up money.

Lets compare what theyve brought in, Couthino and Sturridge for out wide and upfront respectively and they'll be on less money then whats gone out, I'm no fan of Liverpool but I'd rather cull the deadwood then loan it out or keep it on the books and sometimes ya have to take a loss when you grossly over pay, its the nature of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They've bought poorly before and will probably buy poorly again. However, their sale of Torres and inevitably Suarez offset this significantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

downing cost 18m, at least get the maths right before the slating, and carroll was sold to whu for 15.5m after a season on loan in which they paid lfc 2mill .

the rest is accurate except transfer fees are usually undisclosed these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

barone wrote: »
    downing cost 18m, at least get the maths right before the slating, and carroll was sold to whu for 15.5m after a season on loan in which they paid lfc 2mill .

the rest is accurate except transfer fees are usually undisclosed these days.

Says £20 million here!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/10237719/West-Ham-poised-to-sign-Stewart-Downing-from-Liverpool-for-6m.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

pretty sure villa said only 20mill would buy him, but came to agreement before window ended for 18mill ,robbery either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

barone wrote: »
    pretty sure villa said only 20mill would buy him, but came to agreement before window ended for 18mill ,robbery either way

18 plus 2 million add ons I think.

Unlikely those add ons got paid, not if it was for goals scored anyway. Or assists. Or good performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Sam Allardyce to undertake a medical at Upton Park after signing Stewart Downing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Most transfers are undisclosed these days regardless of how much is made or lost on the player compared to previous deals.

Its alot better to cut your losses on 2 guys earning about 60-80k a week then it is to keep them for another 3 years and have them sponge up money.

Case in point. David "Career high point - kicking balls into skips - Bentley". £18M and £80k a week for 5 years, release in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Case in point. David "Career high point - kicking balls into skips - Bentley". £18M and £80k a week for 5 years, release in June.

Not quite, his hat trick against United shouldnt be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

razorblunt wrote: »
    Not quite, his hat trick against United shouldnt be forgotten.

Nor this volley against Arsenal a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tomorrow is the day I'll find out what this got me! :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85009265&postcount=1610

C2 in Higher Irish, GET IN!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement