Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

C2 in Higher Irish, GET IN!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats!
    Did you...scream like a Neville?!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Étienne Capoue officially joind Spurs from Toulouse looks to be another versatile athletic midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Étienne Capoue officially joind Spurs from Toulouse looks to be another versatile athletic midfielder.

Excellent player... a Carrick-esque central midfielder who can also play in central defence. Scotty Parker must be following Huddlestone and Livermore out the door. Spurs have now some great option in Central Midfield

Dembele
    Paulinhio
    Sandro
    Capoue
    Holtby
    Sigurrdson
    Tom Carroll

All offer something different, Carroll may go out on loan to get some game time but is a real prospect. Only criticism is thr midfield lack a bit of guile, a real creative Modric type player who can create from deep. If rumours are to be believed the young Croatian Hallovic is on his way too for approx £10m. Looks a real talent but probably a year or two away from stamping his mark on the first team.

A left back, another central defender and another striker and Spurs will have a phenomonal team next year. Just hope we can hang on to Bale for at least another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

IF Spurs hang onto Bale and IF Bale continues his form, well...Spurs will be a tough out next year imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Capoue will almost certainly be considered a CB by Villas-Boas. They've a plethora of midfield options already and only really Vertonghen, Dawson and an injury prone Kaboul at centre-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Southampton paying €18m for Pablo Osvaldo is ridiculous.

edit: well, it will be if he accepts the move. Roma have accepted the offer apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Southampton paying €18m for Pablo Osvaldo is ridiculous.

edit: well, it will be if he accepts the move. Roma have accepted the offer apparently.

Ah but it`ll be funny when he headbutts one of the players for not passing to him. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Opens the door for Lambert to Arsenal for 20 million :pac:

Dynamo Moscow have signed Zhirkov, Kokorin and Denisov from Anzhi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Capoue will almost certainly be considered a CB by Villas-Boas. They've a plethora of midfield options already and only really Vertonghen, Dawson and an injury prone Kaboul at centre-back.
    I reckon most of his game time will be at CM, possibly CB if Dawson or Verts get injured in the first 1 or 2 games.

Apparently Spurs have now move for Toby Alderweireld, his father has revealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

THFC wrote: »
    I reckon most of his game time will be at CM, possibly CB if Dawson or Verts get injured in the first 1 or 2 games.

Apparently Spurs have now move for Toby Alderweireld, his father has revealed.

Levys' going bananas

how will he ever offset all this spending? :p

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Levys' going bananas

Google Joe Lewis, apparently he's given Levy a kitty to spend this summer. I've always maintained Bale is staying, and he will. Real can't afford him, end of story, they still owe us for Modric and all the papers are back-tracking these days.

Levys' going bananas

Bale going to Real and they are buying before he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Google Joe Lewis, apparently he's given Levy a kitty to spend this summer. I've always maintained Bale is staying, and he will. Real can't afford him, end of story, they still owe us for Modric and all the papers are back-tracking these days.

is this the first time he's had real input into it?
    well i mean telling levy to go and spend

Real can afford, its stupid to think they can't, only thing is how high they'll go

modric? that's how most deals work is it not, paid over a number of years, unless the selling club are stuck financially

GTR63 wrote: »
    Bale going to Real and they are buying before he goes.
    Well, we'll see I suppose.
    is this the first time he's had real input into it?
    well i mean telling levy to go and spend

Real can afford, its stupid to think they can't, only thing is how high they'll go

modric? that's how most deals work is it not, paid over a number of years, unless the selling club are stuck financially
    AFAIK yes, it's the first time he's provided a substantial sum. I wouldn't mind but he's a billionaire, he can well afford it.

The Spanish government are in massive debt and they are owed over €600,000 million from clubs in the top 2 divisions, and this figure does not take into account what Real, Barca, Bilbao and Osasuna owe. It's estimated that clubs in the top division are €4.1 billion in debt collectively.

Real themselves are in huge debt, and the EU are currently investigating the state aid for the club atm. The government also had to buy a piece of land off the club for €22 million, what was the actual value of the land? About €400,000. They have been procrastinating for years this issue, but with the trouble the government is in and the impending FFP rules, they could be in real financial trouble soon.

There's a reason Levy is looking for every cent up front, that's because he knows the trouble Real are in, and he wants to be guaranteed of his money. Real want to pay over 6 years, which Levy won't let happen.

Anyway, I'm pretty much just re-iterating what is said in this blog, have a read, things are looking too rosy in Spain at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Real themselves are in huge debt, and the EU are currently investigating the state aid for the club atm. The government also had to buy a piece of land off the club for €22 million, what was the actual value of the land? About €400,000. They have been procrastinating for years this issue, but with the trouble the government is in and the impending FFP rules, they could be in real financial trouble soon.

The EU concluded their investigation into Real's land swap nearly a decade ago and found no irregularity in he deal.
    Real swapped land that was near the city centre and financial districts for land in the suburbs and money. The money came from private companies and investment funds and the land was traded by the same, none of the money, despite nonsense from media outside Spain, came from local or national government funds. I can't believe people are still clinging to this conspiracy theory nonsense.

Real swapped x amount of land in the city for y amount of land outside Madrid + cash in the middle of a financial bubble. The people who bought their old training centre were all banks, financial institutions and investment funds, the land was bought with the aim to develop a massive new financial campus in the city. The land Real took in turn was in the middle of ****ing nowhere and worth nothing.

This ****e has been done to death and if useless hacks are still trying to imply some sort of conspiracy, well, shame on any idiot who reads them and goes along with their idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well, we'll see I suppose.

AFAIK yes, it's the first time he's provided a substantial sum. I wouldn't mind but he's a billionaire, he can well afford it.

The Spanish government are in massive debt and they are owed over €600,000 million from clubs in the top 2 divisions, and this figure does not take into account what Real, Barca, Bilbao and Osasuna owe. It's estimated that clubs in the top division are €4.1 billion in debt collectively.

There's a reason Levy is looking for every cent up front, that's because he knows the trouble Real are in, and he wants to be guaranteed of his money. Real want to pay over 6 years, which Levy won't let happen.

Anyway, I'm pretty much just re-iterating what is said in this blog, have a read, things are looking too rosy in Spain at the moment.
    Actually Lewis has invested in the club but it has all been capital investment he has paid for the new training complex and at least 15m towards the initial stadium costs so far.

I do hope he has pumped a bit of money in a cash injection would be lovely.

There is also the 40 million extra in tv cash this year to spend as the Premier league clubs all signed up saying it couldn't be used to inflate wages only commercial income can be used towards wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

it would be great for us as premiership followers with the coverage we have of that league if Spains big clubs did go through some financial difficulties as it would mean an increased chance of the best players coming to England. Only obstacle left then would be the mega rich french clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Cattermole set to leave Sunderland. 2.5 million is reportedly what will get him. Bargain for many clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Cattermole set to leave Sunderland. 2.5 million is reportedly what will get him. Bargain for many clubs.

Nailed on for Hull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

razorblunt wrote: »
    Nailed on for Hull?

A championship level player surely, Hull have already got Huddlestone and Livermore who are better footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Remember when he was touted as joining United!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't think he is a Championship player. Will do a great job for a team like Fulham or West Brom or a newly promoted team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He's nothing but a hatchet man. Liability on a football pitch.

And yes, i'm biased. Still true though.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's nothing but a hatchet man. Liability on a football pitch.

And yes, i'm biased. Still true though.

Hatchet man is being kind. Anything I'd like to call him would earn me an infraction.

I don't think he is a Championship player. Will do a great job for a team like Fulham or West Brom or a newly promoted team.

Yacob and Mulumbu are far superior players. While Fulham need to strengthen in cm Catermole would not be the answer. Nzonzi who is unsettled at Stoke would be a great signing for them.
    Cardiff have shown a lot more ambition by signing Gary Medel while Ian Holloway wouldn't entertain him.

If he is lucky Wigan might re-sign him as a replacement for James McCarthy if he moves otherwise he may have to wait for Neil Warnock to get another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'd take him at villa as backup tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Falcao apparently transfer-listed...

COYVB wrote: »
    I'd take him at villa as backup tbh

Not the type of character Lambert would like either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Falcao apparently transfer-listed...

Source?

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Source?
    Marca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's rubbish tbh. The owner will end up footing any tax bill. It wont affect the players on contracts signed before the change. He is undoubtedly staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Marca? Let me guess, hes going to be joining Real?

:pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    It's rubbish tbh. The owner will end up footing any tax bill. It wont affect the players on contracts signed before the change. He is undoubtedly staying.
    It seems suspicious. Has the Bale to Madrid deal hit a wall? If so, maybe Marca are just trying to stir it up to force Spurs' hand?

It seems suspicious. Has the Bale to Madrid deal hit a wall? If so, maybe Marca are just trying to stir it up to force Spurs' hand?

Considering how much Monaco paid for him it would mean Real would have to pay huge sums to get Falcao.

Marca are better off running with the cheaper and more realistic targerts of Rooney or Suarez.

Although it was mentioned several times by journos that the move to Monaco would just be a temporary one as he didnt want to be seen going from Atletico to Real, which seemed at the time like BS but if it comes to pass would be very interesting.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The EU concluded their investigation into Real's land swap nearly a decade ago and found no irregularity in he deal.
    Real swapped land that was near the city centre and financial districts for land in the suburbs and money. The money came from private companies and investment funds and the land was traded by the same, none of the money, despite nonsense from media outside Spain, came from local or national government funds. I can't believe people are still clinging to this conspiracy theory nonsense.

Real swapped x amount of land in the city for y amount of land outside Madrid + cash in the middle of a financial bubble. The people who bought their old training centre were all banks, financial institutions and investment funds, the land was bought with the aim to develop a massive new financial campus in the city. The land Real took in turn was in the middle of ****ing nowhere and worth nothing.

This ****e has been done to death and if useless hacks are still trying to imply some sort of conspiracy, well, shame on any idiot who reads them and goes along with their idiocy.
    Jaysus, would ya relax there a small bit. Didn't know it was so close to your heart.

Regardless if that one detail is untrue, Real are still in financial trouble and that was the predominant point of my post. No need to get yourself in a huff over one detail. Ranting and raving is the place for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Cattermole.

He's worth £2.5m and and would be a very good signing for a promoted team especially.

Calling him a hatchet man and nothing but a liability is a bit harsh IMO. He's a very underrated passer and I've always felt we played a lot better when he was in the side, BUT, because of his reputation (which I feel is a bit exaggerated) he doesn't get any leeway from referees and his injury record is abysmal.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone could captain three Premier League clubs by the age of 23 and play almost 200 Premier League games by the age of 25 if they don't have something about them. Watch his performance against Manchester City in our 1-0 win and you will see exactly the type of player he can be.

That said, I can't say I'm disappointed in going with Cabral as our defensively focused midfielder as he's better technically and O'Shea should have been given the captaincy the minute he signed for us.

Cattermole isn't as bad as he's made out though, IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cattermole the new Nigel Reo Coker perhaps, Captained West Ham, Wimbeldon & England U-21s as well as occasionally captaining Villa (was VC for a good while) but currently plays for Vancouver Whitecaps

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Osvaldo has signed a 4 year contract with Southampton for £15M according to Ben Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Osvaldo has signed a 4 year contract with Southampton for £15M according to Ben Smith.

It has been confirmed by the club. Happy with that. Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovrens makes for a tidy transfer window. Osvaldo seems to have a bit of a reputation but that said, Pochettino seemed to be able to control him quite well at Espanyol so hopefully it'll be the same at Southampton, Either way it is still a bit of a coup to sign him.

In addition to the new buys, Saints played 3 home grown teenagers yesterday (Chambers, Shaw and Ward-Prowse), I doubt any other Premier League team could say that. It is good to see a good mix of bought in and home grown talent. Saints have one of the youngest teams in the Premier League at the moment. It is an interesting time to be a Saints fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Everton have confirmed they rejected a £28 million bid from United for Baines and Fellaini.

Just offer £22 million or what ever the release clause for Fellaini is and get it over with FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the release clause ended on 31st july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Everton have confirmed they rejected a £28 million bid from United for Baines and Fellaini.

Just offer £22 million or what ever the release clause for Fellaini is and get it over with FFS.

£28 million is pitiful for the two of them and Everton don't sell cheaply, Moyes should know that. I would imagine Everton value Fellani and Baines at 25 and 15 million respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Ridiculous offer, hope Everton hold onto the pair now.

Utd need Fellaini more so then Baines, drop the Baines offer and throw the whole lot at Fellaini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Utd need Fellaini more so then Baines, drop the Baines offer and throw the whole lot at Fellaini.

No. They need to stop being tight arses and accept that Fabregas isn't going to happen and put 35m for the two at Everton.

No. They need to stop being tight arses and accept that Fabregas isn't going to happen and put 35m for the two at Everton.

They dont really need Baines though, thats my point, With Evra and Fabio theyve a very good LB and a guy, who if he can improve like his twin did last season, will be a good option at LB without spending money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They dont really need Baines though, thats my point, With Evra and Fabio theyve a very good LB and a guy, who if he can improve like his twin did last season, will be a good option at LB without spending money.

The problem I have there is the if. What if he doesn't? Granted Evra is a good player and that there really is no need to buy Baines, that if Utd want to sign players, then they need to do it instead of low balling clubs like that.

The problem I have there is the if. What if he doesn't? Granted Evra is a good player and that there really is no need to buy Baines, that if Utd want to sign players, then they need to do it instead of low balling clubs like that.

I can imagine the low balling is very annoying for Utd fans but its better then over paying for the pair.

Everton dont want to lose either player I imagine and too lose both would be a disaster so they'll probably reject anything south of a 40million bid, if Utd act quicker then they did with the Cesc bids they could have both players with an improved offer in the next few days.

Pretty insulting offer to a former club for the pair do you not all think? I'd hold on to them now out of bloody principle!

• Advertisement
Advertisement