Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Arsenal bid for Cabaye according to SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Arsenal bid for Cabaye according to SSN.

Any word on the size of the bid?

Would take £20m or so I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You'd have to think that's to shore up the midfield with the injuries they have now, would he get in the team with Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla all fit?

Arsenal need a top CB and CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Moneymaker wrote: »

£20,000,001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They dont really need Baines though, thats my point, With Evra and Fabio theyve a very good LB and a guy, who if he can improve like his twin did last season, will be a good option at LB without spending money.
    I'm pretty surprised they are after Baines at all given his age. Luke Shaw would have the profile of somebody you'd expect to see United go after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Never said. Just Sky sources understands...

Anyone wrote: »
    £20,000,001

A+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

12m posted in the Arsenal thread but no source. Maybe it's Yohan Kebab they are after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised they are after Baines at all given his age. Luke Shaw would have the profile of somebody you'd expect to see United go after.

I hope they dont go after Shaw, Chelsea were meant to be in for him but he signed on to a long term contract a few months ago, probably a better decision for him to play consistently for another season or two before making the move to a bigger team, I'm hoping we go back in for him, he is a Chelsea fan after all and would sort a problem area for us once Cole retires or is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You'd have to think that's to shore up the midfield with the injuries they have now, would he get in the team with Arteta, Wilshere and Cazorla all fit?

Arsenal need a top CB and CF

I think he would be a better player rather then Arteta. Let Cazorla play behind the striker they desperately need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/update/2013-08-19/arsenal-bid-20m-for-pogba-according-to-reports/
    Arsenal bid £20m for Pogba according to reports

Arsenal are lining up a surprise £20m bid for ex-Man United midfielder Paul Pogba, according to various reports surfacing this afternoon.

The 20 year-old central midfielder moved to Juventus last summer after failing to agree terms on a new contract at Old Trafford, and may be tempted to join Arsenal with the promise of regular first team football.

No way will Juventus sell him. He was massive for them towards the latter part of last season. Fantasy land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No way will Juventus sell him. He was massive for them towards the latter part of last season. Fantasy land.

I'm thinking the same to be honest, but the moves for Cabaye or Kondogbia I could see happening.

I'm thinking the same to be honest, but the moves for Cabaye or Kondogbia I could see happening.

£20m and we'll talk. :cool:

He has a tendency to hide in games though, must have been 10/12 games last season he was totally anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

£20m and we'll talk. :cool:

He has a tendency to hide in games though, must have been 10/12 games last season he was totally anonymous.

Out of the three were being linked with Cabaye would be bottom of the list, but recko Cabaye could be got for about 16 to 18 million.

Just seen something not sure how true it is stating Arsenal can still register one more player for the Fernerbache game by midnight tomorrow.

Which might explain the sudden trolley dash for a midfield player.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

War of words erupts between Barcelona and Arsenal over ‘insulting’ rejection

Barcelona have described Arsenal’s rejection of their bid for Jack Wilshere as ‘insulting’ and ‘derisory’.

Barcelona boss Tata Martino had a £19m offer for Gunners midfielder Wilshere rejected earlier today, which Gunners chief Ivan Gazidis described as a ‘reasonable and considered bid’, but one which they considered ‘below their valuation of the player’.

Barcelona chief Sandro Rosell blasted the response, stating that Arsenal’s ‘lack of ire was a major insult to Barcelona’, and the absence of verbose grandstanding and windbaggery from the Arsenal CEO was ‘disgusting’.

He further added that the word count of the statement was ‘derisory’.

Arsenal have refused to comment on the spat.
    Source: Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

AVB has said spurs haven't made any bid for Willian this window(Last window they tried to sign him)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Some rumours coming out of Spain today claiming that Monaco have bid €20M for Kondogbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Some rumours coming out of Spain today claiming that Monaco have bid €20M for Kondogbia.

Wenger should be going for him, he has no chance of getting Pogba and Cabaye will likely get priced out of a move by Newcastle,like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Scott Parker joins Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Sunderland should wrap up the signing of Juventus left back Paolo De Ceglie over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Spurs bid 35m for Willian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

racso1975 wrote: »
    Spurs bid 35m for Willian
    Seems like they've got him. Bale is almost definitely gone now and if the €80m plus Coentrao along with Lamela rumours are true then they will potentially line up as so:

Lloris; Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Coentrao; Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele; Lamela, Soldado, Willian.

Not bucking bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Pighead wrote: »
    Seems like they've got him. Bale is almost definitely gone now and if the €80m plus Coentrao along with Lamela rumours are true then they will potentially line up as so:

Lloris; Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Coentrao; Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele; Lamela, Soldado, Willian.

Not bucking bad!

not bad when you factor in their replacements also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That's alot of money for Willian! He is a brilliant player and is a great signing for Spurs though if they get him. Spurs to finish in the top 4 looks a cracking bet at 7/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

slingerz wrote: »
    not bad when you factor in their replacements also
    Actually Dawson will probably be their first choice defender for most games this season. I'm guessing instead of Kaboul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Johner wrote: »
    That's alot of money for Willian! He is a brilliant player and is a great signing for Spurs though if they get him. Spurs to finish in the top 4 looks a cracking bet at 7/4.

In London now ahead of a medical.

SkySports Italia journalist tweeted that Bale to Madrid is on with fee to total £93 million which includes Coentrao going the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

That Spurs team is incredible. I'd have them with Chelsea as on paper the second best team in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

EdenHazard wrote: »
    That Spurs team is incredible. I'd have them with Chelsea as on paper the second best team in the league.

I couldnt see why they wouldnt be as good if not better than any other team tbh.

I do think that Arsenal and United will look to strengthen significantly in the next week or so in order to keep pace with Man City, Chelsea and Spurs.

EdenHazard wrote: »

I thought they looked very meh against a very weak Palace said on Sunday. Palace kept giving them the ball but they didn't punish them nearly enough.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    In London now ahead of a medical.

SkySports Italia journalist tweeted that Bale to Madrid is on with fee to total £93 million which includes Coentrao going the other way.

I wouldn`t even take Coentrao on a free but £93m. :eek:
    It makes Andy Carroll for £35m nearly look shrewd.

GTR63 wrote: »
    I wouldn`t even take Coentrao on a free but £93m. :eek:
    It makes Andy Carroll for £35m nearly look shrewd.
    I'm not sure you quiet understand what he's saying?

That would be a lot of change at spurs in one close season and could see some opening struggles until the team beds in but potentially looks like a great team.

It appears that the 40m in extra tv money this season has been spent plus a potential 86m in cash from bale which is some serious money!

Also I understand that a lot of people don't seem to rate Contrao but he plays for Madrid and played for a damn good Porto side.

That said I don't believe a word of this rabble until I see pictures with a shirt.

Also nothing can make 35m for Carroll look shrewd. Although 18m for Caroll recouped was pretty damn good business.

Also I understand that a lot of people don't seem to rate Contrao but he plays for Madrid and played for a damn good Porto side.

Coentrao played for Benfica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With the proviso that the deals actually happen

Thanks to Bale Spurs have been presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity to leap into the big time - the signings are impressive and if it works allied to Arsenals failure then they could be "the forth" CL side for some years. If it works. Either way its going to be fascinating to see if all the new talent stitches together and if remember to defend!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I thought they looked very meh against a very weak Palace said on Sunday. Palace kept giving them the ball but they didn't punish them nearly enough.

First game of the season, away to a team that's new promoted.
    I'm not sure you quiet understand what he's saying?

That would be a lot of change at spurs in one close season and could see some opening struggles until the team beds in but potentially looks like a great team.

It appears that the 40m in extra tv money this season has been spent plus a potential 86m in cash from bale which is some serious money!

That said I don't believe a word of this rabble until I see pictures with a shirt.

Also nothing can make 35m for Carroll look shrewd. Although 18m for Caroll recouped was pretty damn good business.

As said, he played for Benfica and he was superb playing LW for them. Looked clueless at LB like at Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That Spurs team is excellent on paper but I think having some many new signings trying to gel straight away could prove to be their down fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That Spurs team is excellent on paper but I think having some many new signings trying to gel straight away could prove to be their down fall.

How many of the first 11 will be new to the club? I would reckon about 4 and that isn't to bad.back 4 and keeper might stay unchanged.
    Anyone else think Contreao(sp) might play lw at spurs?

Coentrao played for Benfica.
    Hmm I seem to be an idiot this morning :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Liverpool seemingly have dropped out of the running for Willian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dempsey wrote: »
    Liverpool seemingly have dropped out of the running for Willian
    They had to when the found out their lowballing bids weren't going to get the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Pighead wrote: »
    Actually Dawson will probably be their first choice defender for most games this season. I'm guessing instead of Kaboul?

Unlikely. There's a time and place for a player like dawson but AVB will prefer Kaboul. Dawson's passing against Palace was desperate at times and AVB won't tolerate that. Plus Kaboul is one of the fastest CB's around and suits the high-line defense that AVB uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Lamela will be a fantastic signing for Spurs, will be surprised if they get him for cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where is all this Bale talk coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

People are entitled to the opinion that Coentrao is crap. But they are wrong and shouldn't be engaged with in any way..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

CSF wrote: »
    People are entitled to the opinion that Coentrao is crap. But they are wrong and shouldn't be engaged with in any way..

He was poor most times he played for Real in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Montroseee wrote: »

"Most times" is more than a little bit of an exaggeration.

Lamela will be a fantastic signing for Spurs, will be surprised if they get him for cheap though.

€35m, hope he doesn't go there. Another year at Roma & he'd have the likes of a Man Utd coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He was far from the worst in a dodgy time for Real and he was fantastic for Benfica, won't be the first or the last to leave Real and go on to a much better career, still at the top level, somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

GTR63 wrote: »
    €35m, hope he doesn't go there. Another year at Roma & he'd have the likes of a Man Utd coming.

Very true. Have Spurs bid €35m or is that an estimation? A lot of money to turn down but I wouldn't sell for any less than €30m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This is bollocks, and it annoys me. He was poor for Real against the big teams, why? Because opposing teams continually attacked him. Why did they attack his side of the pitch? Because Ronaldo doesn't offer any protection. He was made to look a lot worse than he was, especially against Dortmund who absolutely destroyed that side of Real's defence. And that's what most people seem to be basing their opinion of Coentrao on, his performances against Dortmund. I don't think any LB in the world could cope with Reus, Gotze and Piszczek going at them with no cover. He was excellent at the Euros, and was very good for Real most times he played.

If Spurs get him I'd be very happy. It would fill a problem position for us, and also add another threat from the back 4 along with Verts and Walker.

Advertisement