Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Very true. Have Spurs bid €35m or is that an estimation? A lot of money to turn down but I wouldn't sell for any less than €30m.

Roma already made over 50m on Stekelenburg, Osvaldo and Marquinos they might get something a bit more pungant than fruit thrown at the bus if Lamela goes too.
    Btw only Taiwo as a LB has been worse positionaly than Coentrao at a big club the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Quazzie wrote: »
    They had to when the found out their lowballing bids weren't going to get the man.

Liverpool must be copying the example Arsenal have been setting for awhile now .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

CSF wrote: »
    He was far from the worst in a dodgy time for Real and he was fantastic for Benfica, won't be the first or the last to leave Real and go on to a much better career, still at the top level, somewhere else.

Fantastic for Benfica when played on the left wing, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fantastic for Benfica when played on the left wing, yes.
    Frequently excellent for Benfica at the back also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Coentrao is an excellent player
    very gosiging for Spurs

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Frequently excellent for Benfica at the back also.

Not from what I saw or read that season. Jorge Jesus has gone on record as to saying he rates him at LW more than at LB.

Not from what I saw or read that season. Jorge Jesus has gone on record as to saying he rates him at LW more than at LB.

What does AVB make of him after managing him at Porto ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Watched Real a lot and Coentrao was poor a fair bit. Has lot of good qualities but his concentration and discipline can be appalling at times, and thus makes a number of mistakes. He's better as a winger no doubt.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I am very surprised that not more teams or talk linking Konoplyanka with anyone. He is a real talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

THFC wrote: »
    This is bollocks, and it annoys me. He was poor for Real against the big teams, why? Because opposing teams continually attacked him. Why did they attack his side of the pitch? Because Ronaldo doesn't offer any protection. He was made to look a lot worse than he was, especially against Dortmund who absolutely destroyed that side of Real's defence. And that's what most people seem to be basing their opinion of Coentrao on, his performances against Dortmund. I don't think any LB in the world could cope with Reus, Gotze and Piszczek going at them with no cover. He was excellent at the Euros, and was very good for Real most times he played.

If Spurs get him I'd be very happy. It would fill a problem position for us, and also add another threat from the back 4 along with Verts and Walker.

I think that's unfair. There's plenty of people who base their opinion on Coentrao from plenty more than just the Dortmund matches. As much as I think saying he was crap for Real most times he played is too much, it's equally too much to say he was very good for Real most times he played. I watched enough of Real last season to make up my own opinion about him. His concentration can be very suspect at times, especially in man marking players and his discipline can go out the window if he gets wound up or Real are up against it. The amount of times you could see Mourinho barking instructions at him or getting on his case was numerous. He would be a good signing for Spurs though. He'd a be very good attacking full back, just not a great defender over 90 minutes consistently.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    This is bollocks, and it annoys me. He was poor for Real against the big teams, why? Because opposing teams continually attacked him. Why did they attack his side of the pitch? Because Ronaldo doesn't offer any protection. He was made to look a lot worse than he was, especially against Dortmund who absolutely destroyed that side of Real's defence. And that's what most people seem to be basing their opinion of Coentrao on, his performances against Dortmund. I don't think any LB in the world could cope with Reus, Gotze and Piszczek going at them with no cover. He was excellent at the Euros, and was very good for Real most times he played.

If Spurs get him I'd be very happy. It would fill a problem position for us, and also add another threat from the back 4 along with Verts and Walker.

I dare say that I've seen Coentrao more than most here, near certainly for Benfica. Perhaps touch n go in regards to viewing Real Madrid, although I watch a fair amount of their games. I'am a fan of his... I just rate him far more as winger than a full back from what I've seen of him at club level. I'll exclude the Dortmund game if you wish and stand by above opinion

He's an improvement over BAE at LB which is the main thing anyway for Spurs.
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    I am very surprised that not more teams or talk linking Konoplyanka with anyone. He is a real talent.

He's been linked with Liverpool once so far and I think, as well as moves to Russia and Germany. Surprised no one has snapped him myself. Was brilliant against England at Wembley not long ago. Scored a peach of a goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

He's an improvement over BAE at LB which is the main thing anyway for Spurs.

Danny Rose will be first choice there this season (signings permitting) I'd have thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Danny Rose will be first choice there this season (signings permitting) I'd have thought.

We're not so sure about Danny Rose either. Potential, but can be weak defensively sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Xabi Alonso out for 3 months, so any moves for Luka Modric are unlikely to succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Montroseee wrote: »
    He was poor most times he played for Real in fairness.

If he was so bad how did he keep Marcelo out of the team for most of the season ?

If he was so bad how did he keep Marcelo out of the team for most of the season ?

Injury to Marcelo & Marcelo also put up too much weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think an awful lot of people here are being harsh on Coentrao. Mou played a system with Real that often left both Arbeola and Coentrao heavily exposed. His reasoning then, as it was with Inter, is that a threat through the centre is far greater than exposure in the wings. So he biased towards the former. In Coentrao's case his plight was consistently made worse by the lack of cover provided by Ronaldo. We often make the mistake of writing off defenders because they seem to be exposed but the reality is a little more complex. Managers and other team mates very often put them in those situations in the first place.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso out for 3 months, so any moves for Luka Modric are unlikely to succeed.
    Don't rule out an Arsenal move for Xabi Alonso though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Just look at Portugal too, Coentrao is just as exposed in that side as he was in the Real side as Ronaldo offers little to no protection.

The guy would be a great addition to almost any side in the world, excellent player.

Beefy78 wrote: »

Ah, I didn't know that, just assumed BAE was injured hence Rose starting v Palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Looks like spurs haven't missed out on any of their main targets Lamela obviously is Baldinis top priority after bringing him to Roma before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Di Maria will surely want out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sky are saying Willian is having a medical at spurs.

Hmm not really sure if I should believe them just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jason Puncheon has joined Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Are Anzhi in trouble financially considering they are letting some of their big names go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

TaosHum wrote: »
    Are Anzhi in trouble financially considering they are letting some of their big names go?
    Nope, apparently the owner is going nuts and selling their best players so they can focus on youth entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Nope, apparently the owner is going nuts and selling their best players so they can focus on youth entirely.

Because he lost half his money.

amiable wrote: »

Also rumoured Roma and Spurs have agreed a fee and Lamela looks London bound.
    Willian and Lamela in the same week ..WOW!

EDIT- add Coentrão to that list as he seems to be part of the Bale deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

zerks wrote: »
    Jason Puncheon has joined Palace.

I think Palace are after getting a great deal there. Puncheon was fantastic last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coentrao is overrated as a defender by a lot of people. He isn't the greatest defender but playing in a high line, as pretty much a wingback, will suit him because that way his strengths are being used which are pace, passing and good attacking instincts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Elmander joins Norwich on a season long loan. Good to see depth now being added to the squad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

eagle eye wrote: »
    Coentrao is overrated as a defender by a lot of people. He isn't the greatest defender but playing in a high line, as pretty much a wingback, will suit him because that way his strengths are being used which are pace, passing and good attacking instincts.

He's been anything but overrated in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know he signed a new contract a few weeks ago and all, but does anyone think someone may throw in a huge offer for Benteke before the transfer window closes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Paully D wrote: »
    I know he signed a new contract a few weeks ago and all, but does anyone think someone may throw in a huge offer for Benteke before the transfer window closes?

they might, but i can't see it being accepted with so little time left to get a replacement

i never understood arsenal not being in for him when he was available tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Paully D wrote: »

nope

nothinghere.jpg

Gotta think he's gone next season though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

nope

nothinghere.jpg

Gotta think he's gone next season though

You'll get even more dough for him next summer though if he keeps it up. Looks a serious talent. People talk about Lukaku when they should be paying attention to Benteke!

Moneymaker wrote: »
    You'll get even more dough for him next summer though if he keeps it up. Looks a serious talent. People talk about Lukaku when they should be paying attention to Benteke!

Lukaku might be just as good but he will be kept out of the Belgian team at this rate and i've said it a few times but I can honestly see Benteke as the Prems top scorer this season. Unless he gets injured he will start every game and be the focal point of every Villa attack o yeah and he's a Beast.

I wonder what (Im assuming he got one put into it) release clause he got in his new contract? if a CL team offers 25m or something similar i'd imagine.

17 goals this calander year so far

Lukaku might be just as good but he will be kept out of the Belgian team at this rate and i've said it a few times but I can honestly see Benteke as the Prems top scorer this season. Unless he gets injured he will start every game and be the focal point of every Villa attack o yeah and he's a Beast.

I wonder what (Im assuming he got one put into it) release clause he got in his new contract? if a CL team offers 25m or something similar i'd imagine.

there's no clause i don't think, but there's likely a gentleman's agreement - but i doubt there's a figure there, or if there is it'd unlikely be £25m given we wanted more for him this summer

COYVB wrote: »
    there's no clause i don't think, but there's likely a gentleman's agreement - but i doubt there's a figure there, or if there is it'd unlikely be £25m given we wanted more for him this summer

obviously you dont know for sure but im still glad to hear there is no set figure (dunno why I wrote 25 anyway was thinking 30). Gentlemans agreement I can understand but if he keeps his goalscoring up whoever wants to take him from Villa will have to pay big big money

• Advertisement

yeah putting a figure in before the season started wouldve been insane. by all reports though there's no clause anyway, but like you say, we don't know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No clause apparently but 25 million is not enough.
    He is a star. Spurs should have paid whatever Villa wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Balague saying the Bale deal will be officially announced in the next few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

and few minutes later said it maybe Friday:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

and few minutes later said it maybe Friday:o

He's some clown, thought he was actually sticking his neck on the line there for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

At 9.0 if you don't have Benteke in your fantasy team I don't know what the **** you are doing with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    At 9.0 if you don't have Benteke in your fantasy team I don't know what the **** you are doing with your life.

Assuming there's no way he'll get more than 1 goal against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool...:(

He'll be in double figures by the middle of October

Very early days but I have a feeling the old cliche of 'like a new signing' will ring true when people look back at the absolutely great piece of business and convincing Villa/Lambert done to get Benteke to go back on his transfer request, and sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

COYVB wrote: »
    He'll be in double figures by the middle of October

I'd give you good odds on that

• Advertisement
Advertisement