Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

COYVB wrote: »
    they might, but i can't see it being accepted with so little time left to get a replacement

i never understood arsenal not being in for him when he was available tbh

Loathe to say it but he wouldn't suit Arsenal's style. Mourinho said as much in his after match presser last night - likes Benteke but he wouldn't fit Chelsea's style.

He's in a counter attacking team set up to utilise his strengths - pace and power. He makes intelligent runs and given the size of him he's incredibly hard to mark - gave JT the run around for the Villa goal last night.
    Blatter wrote: »
    Balague saying the Bale deal will be officially announced in the next few hours.

Ballbag covers every base with his tweets. Wouldn't put even the tiniest amount of credence in what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd give you good odds on that

What odds you offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Great suggestion here on the GUardian transfer blog:
    "Could we not," wonders Jamie Ayres, "replace the transfer window with some sort of village fete style tombola? All players who fancy a move go in the hat, and every team get a go. Not sure how this would work across leagues, as I evidently haven't thought this through, but it would be amusing to see Doncaster Rovers pick Mr Bale's name out. As well as the raised eyebrows over at the Nou Camp, when it's revealed they have just signed Gillingham's Adebayo Akinfenwa."

I think this is what Arsenal did last summer. Hollywood is considering adapting it into a teen horror film sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

article-2399320-1B647252000005DC-428_634x402.jpg

What next..Ronaldo on the back of his jersey??? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

oa5tc.jpg
    2205097.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no real news, but this is the top story on the BBC Sport website.
    Tottenham and Real Madrid are in advanced talks over a deal to take winger Gareth Bale to the Bernabeu.

The transfer has yet to be agreed, but it could happen in the coming days and is set to eclipse the £80m world record fee Real paid Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009.

Wales international Bale, 24, is determined to join the Spanish club.

He has not travelled for Thursday's Europa League tie with Dinamo Tbilisi in Georgia because of a foot problem.

Spurs have spent about £60m on players so far this summer and have broken the club's transfer record twice.

Any deal will not be announced before Real's friendly with Qatar side Al Sadd on Thursday. The match will mark the return of Real legend and leading scorer Raul, who now plays for Al Sadd.

The number 11 shirt, the number Bale has worn at White Hart Lane, has been left vacant at Real Madrid in the expectation that their new record signing will take it on his arrival.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Scott Sinclair to West Brom by the looks of things. They're building a nice little squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

@SAFCofficial: Sunderland have completed the signing of Greek winger Charias Mavrias from Panathinaikos on a three-year deal.

We still desperately need a somewhat creative central midfielder and a left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

SlickRic wrote: »
    no real news, but this is the top story on the BBC Sport website.

Link

BBC have gone to shít lately on football. I've restricted my football reading to Sid Lowe and Raphael Honigstein. Anything else is a quick flick through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

BBC have gone to shít lately on football. I've restricted my football reading to Sid Lowe and Raphael Honigstein. Anything else is a quick flick through.
    Nah, the BBC is as solid as it gets. Rarely see them get something wrong, the catch is that they usually don't run a story until it's confirmed. Better than "Sky sources" anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Can't believe spurs are going to get 99 million for bale.
    Fare play to Daniel levy, let's face it he's not a patch on Ronaldo, so that's some transfer fee.

Feel sorry for bale now though. Some pressure to be as good or better than Ronaldo, that will be difficult considering Ronaldo's scoring record at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can't believe spurs are going to get 99 million for bale.
    Fare play to Daniel levy, let's face it he's not a patch on Ronaldo, so that's some transfer fee.

Feel sorry for bale now though. Some pressure to be as good or better than Ronaldo, that will be difficult considering Ronaldo's scoring record at Madrid.
    Nor can I. At the beginning of the summer I'd've said they'd be delighted with 50m for him.

Nor can I. At the beginning of the summer I'd've said they'd be delighted with 50m for him.

How would Spurs ever have been happy with 50m? The dogs in the street knew Bale wouldn't have left for under £60m. What you think he's worth and Spurs are happy to get for him are 2 completely different things.

Bale will be a huge success at Madrid I'd have said. He's young and could be the face of the Club for a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nah, the BBC is as solid as it gets. Rarely see them get something wrong, the catch is that they usually don't run a story until it's confirmed. Better than "Sky sources" anyway.

Well some of their articles have been very poor lately. Maybe it's just me.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Bale will be a huge success at Madrid I'd have said. He's young and could be the face of the Club for a decade.

I can't see it, he doesn't have the star appeal over there that the likes of Ronaldo do. Most Real Madrid fans seem to know who he is, but are baffled by the prices being thrown about.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

what somebody is worth and how much a team is willing to pay are different things.Madrid want him badly,spurs named a price,possibly thinking Madrid won't match it.word is,they have. everyone is saying "what a deal"look at everyone spurs are signing" im a spurs fan and all im thinking about are his goals against southHampton,sunderland and especially west ham.we've no 1 bought or in the squad who'll score those goals

I can't see it, he doesn't have the star appeal over there that the likes of Ronaldo do. Most Real Madrid fans seem to know who he is, but are baffled by the prices being thrown about.

When they see him play they'll know. He's an incredible player and the most natural talent that Britain has produced in many years. That has been obvious since he was 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

THFC wrote: »
    How would Spurs ever have been happy with 50m? The dogs in the street knew Bale wouldn't have left for under £60m. What you think he's worth and Spurs are happy to get for him are 2 completely different things.
    Hi Daniel Levy. I assume you are Daniel Levy, right? Otherwise your guess was as good as mine, I suppose.

Nobody genuinely listens to what club people say about their own players' values, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

When they see him play they'll know. He's an incredible player and the most natural talent that Britain has produced in many years. That has been obvious since he was 17.

Wasn't so obvious when he was touted as a makeweight for a Downing deal, was it? I think you need to hold your horses, Rooney is still the best Britain has produced in many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He was offered out to every club possible by 'Arry not so long ago. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

what somebody is worth and how much a team is willing to pay are different things.Madrid want him badly,spurs named a price,possibly thinking Madrid won't match it.word is,they have. everyone is saying "what a deal"look at everyone spurs are signing" im a spurs fan and all im thinking about are his goals against southHampton,sunderland and especially west ham.we've no 1 bought or in the squad who'll score those goals

i disagree, look at the players we have bought so far and what is rumoured to be arriving, by selling bale we have lost one of the best players in the world but signed some world class players to really put our squad on a par with 2 manchesters and chelsea, bale was 1 player (allbeit a fantastic one) but if he got injured we were screwed, this way thanks to his fee we have now got class all over the pitch

i am sorry to see him go but by selling him we have been able to step up another rung on the ladder

When he was 17 he was played at left back and was atrocious. He has ability, but he won't shine that much in a Real Madrid team full of better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bale is not as near as good as Ronnie on the field and does not have the charisma. Its going to be enormous pressure on him and not sure if he has the ego to carry it off?

Hi Daniel Levy. I assume you are Daniel Levy, right? Otherwise your guess was as good as mine, I suppose.

Nobody genuinely listens to what club people say about their own players' values, do they?
    Well it turns out my 'guess' was pretty accurate, however your guess, or opinion or whatever, is proving to be completly wrong.

I think for a number of reasons it's relatively straight forward to make an accurate enough estimation of a player's value, well, for most of us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When he was 17 he was played at left back and was atrocious. He has ability, but he won't shine that much in a Real Madrid team full of better players.
    I think he'll do quite well to be honest. Like Ronaldo, he has the explosive pace and dribbling ability to beat defenders and he's not afraid to shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Bale is not as near as good as Ronnie on the field and does not have the charisma. Its going to be enormous pressure on him and not sure if he has the ego to carry it off?

Get him this & he`ll be fine

CaptainCharismaShirt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Bale won't be that good with Real but he'll do decent enough, we'll see him playing for Man United in 3 years I reckon.

hugo29 wrote: »
    i disagree, look at the players we have bought so far and what is rumoured to be arriving, by selling bale we have lost one of the best players in the world but signed some world class players to really put our squad on a par with 2 manchesters and chelsea, bale was 1 player (allbeit a fantastic one) but if he got injured we were screwed, this way thanks to his fee we have now got class all over the pitch

i am sorry to see him go but by selling him we have been able to step up another rung on the ladder

i don't know.I've never heard of lamela. willian has always impressed me,we've needed a number 9 for years so im hoping soldado hits the ground running.all these New players will need time to bed in.like against palace we struggled to break them down,bale wouldve ripped them apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it'll be very interesting to see how he gets on there. It could go either way to be honest. Playing as the hub of a team at Spurs is very different than just being one of the superstars at Real, it can affect players a lot. Where he plays is going to determine if he's a success there too, he seems to thrive on the more free role in a position, not sure he's going to have that at Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think he'll do quite well to be honest. Like Ronaldo, he has the explosive pace and dribbling ability to beat defenders and he's not afraid to shoot.

Ronaldo is far superior in almost every regard.
    He has two good feet unlike Bale,he is better in the air,and most importantly less injury prone.

Like EdenHazard I expect Bale to be back in England in 3 years .
    I thought the Andy Carroll transfer to Liverpool and the Eto Ibrahimovich swap deal were crazy but this Bale deal has taken it to a whole new level of insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The rumoured €93 million deal doesn't "eclipse" the Ronnie transfer..

I think Coentrao is included in that as well and when you factor in his value they're paying around £50-55 million for him.

I can live with that considering £100 million cash was being thrown around at one point. Football has gone mad either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Bale won't be that good with Real but he'll do decent enough, we'll see him playing for Man United in 3 years I reckon.

We don't buy hand me downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Like Ronaldo when he went there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ronaldo is far superior in almost every regard.
    He has two good feet unlike Bale,he is better in the air,and most importantly less injury prone.

Like EdenHazard I expect Bale to be back in England in 3 years .
    I thought the Andy Carroll transfer to Liverpool and the Eto Ibrahimovich swap deal were crazy but this Bale deal has taken it to a whole new level of insanity.

Whats this almost about?

Ronaldo is better then Bale in every department they could be compared in.

I think Coentrao is included in that as well and when you factor in his value they're paying around £50-55 million for him.

I can live with that considering £100 million cash was being thrown around at one point. Football has gone mad either way

You rate Coentrao at £30m? I certainly don't, and I doubt Daniel Levy does.

what value are you placing on coentrao:eek:

my understanding is 93m + coentrao

its lunacy but hey who cares it makes us better off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You're valuing Coentrao at ~£30m, what planet are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You rate Coentrao at £30m? I certainly don't, and I doubt Daniel Levy does.

Around £24m, Madrid paid more than that and he's still only 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Around £24m, Madrid paid more than that and he's still only 25.

The fact Real seems to easily want rid should effect the value though, like in most similar transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Real Madrid don't value Coentrao at £24m.

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats this almost about?

maybe bale has better hair style and a bigger mickey

We don't buy hand me downs.

MICHAEL OWEN

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats this almost about?

Bale is better at free kicks though ,no doubt about that .Thats about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

hugo29 wrote: »
    MICHAEL OWEN

DIDN'T BUY HIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bale is better at free kicks though ,no doubt about that .Thats about it though.

No he's not, not at all just plain no.

No he's not, not at all just plain no.

Ronaldo has a very low success rate from free kicks ,its less than 8%.

Last 3 seasons for Madrid he took 179 free kicks and scored 15 goals .
    68 hit the wall and 56 were off target ,only 55 were on target.

He scores 1 out of 12 free kicks ,which is rubbish to be honest when compared with top free kick takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Robert Snodgrass and Shaun Maloney put Ronaldo's free-kick taking to absolute shame.

surely bales left leg is better than Ronaldos

Ronaldo is a bit like Roberto Carlos with free kicks.
    Spectacular when they go in but they hardly ever go in.

Carlos scored one outrageous banana free kick that he spent the next ten years unsuccessfully trying to reproduce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement