Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wasn't so obvious when he was touted as a makeweight for a Downing deal, was it? I think you need to hold your horses, Rooney is still the best Britain has produced in many years.

It was obvious to everyone who had seen him play at Southampton even if it wasn't obvious to 'Arry.

If you saw him at Southampton as I did it would be no surprise he'd smash the World Record transfer fee.

When he was 17 he was played at left back and was atrocious. He has ability, but he won't shine that much in a Real Madrid team full of better players.

Nonsense. When he was 17 he was bossing games from fullback against players twice his build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It was obvious to everyone who had seen him play at Southampton even if it wasn't obvious to 'Arry.

If you saw him at Southampton as I did it would be no surprise he'd smash the World Record transfer fee.

Wenger and Fergie saw him at Southampton.

They didn't think it was worth outbidding Spurs for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Nonsense. When he was 17 he was bossing games from fullback against players twice his build.

Twice the build maybe but were they any good lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ormus wrote: »

United had a bid accepted but Bale decided to go to spurs because he would get more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't know about Southampton, but his first few months at Spurs were dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Harry tried to flog him to birmingham for 2.5 million in one of the january transfer windows at one stage...The great Harry Redknapp master of the transfer window bargains lol

Pretty sure they both regret that. Spurs went in big in order to scare both off and it worked. Plus didn't United bid but Bale turned them down? I could be mis-remembering that, tbf.

Gareth Bale is only the second player in my 30 years of watching football I've seen dominate games from full back. The fact that he was 17 when he did made that even more impressive. When he moved to Spurs he was still a kid learning the game and has come into his own the last three years. But I doubt it's a surprise to anyone who saw him at that stage.

Pretty sure they both regret that. Spurs went in big in order to scare both off and it worked. Plus didn't United bid but Bale turned them down? I could be mis-remembering that, tbf.

Might be thinking of Ramsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Gareth Bale is only the second player in my 30 years of watching football I've seen dominate games from full back. The fact that he was 17 when he did made that even more impressive.

I'm interested in who the other player is.

Leighton Baines has the ability and has dominated some games from left back before but probably not enough games to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Gareth Bale is only the second player in my 30 years of watching football I've seen dominate games from full back. The fact that he was 17 when he did made that even more impressive. When he moved to Spurs he was still a kid learning the game and has come into his own the last three years. But I doubt it's a surprise to anyone who saw him at that stage.

Haha well how could they not regret it?

I'm not saying they didn't rate him and I'm not saying they didn't wanna sign him, but if either of them had thought he was destined to be this good, do you really think they couldn't have got him ahead of Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Robert Snodgrass and Shaun Maloney put Ronaldo's free-kick taking to absolute shame.

They dont take freekicks to score from all ranges though, they score a lot of edge of box ones. Ronaldo's success rate is being unfairly judged because he takes any free kick within crazy distances like 45 yards, most free kick takers dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Corholio wrote: »
    They dont take freekicks to score from all ranges though, they score a lot of edge of box ones. Ronaldo's success rate is being unfairly judged because he takes any free kick within crazy distances like 45 yards, most free kick takers dont.

Well then, we've established one area in which Bale is better than Ronaldo - decision making :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

so willian to chelsea eh ... its never done deal till its signed on .. could it twist again i wonder, is mata leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bale is better at free kicks though ,no doubt about that .Thats about it though.
    No he's not, not at all just plain no.

Jesus I wonder do people actually watch football sometimes!

On recent evidence, (i.e. last couple of seasons) Bale sh*ts all over Ronaldo when it comes to frees. He's quite possibly the best in the world at the moment at frees. I'm trying to think who would rival him - Suarez, Pirlo... probably missing a couple of other freekick masters. They're all players who step up and you think there is a real chance of a goal.

When Ronaldo steps up I generally expect it to hit the wall or go over.

Sure he'll catch one or two, and while the comparision with Roberto Carlos is maybe a bit harsh on Ronaldo I can see where they're coming from.

Bale should definitely be on frees if he signs

I would say Suarez is better at frees than Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Dicks at west ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

rarnes1 wrote: »

Thought you would want to keep him out of transfer threads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Real Madrids official store, look in the left column

M2QFXdd.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ha, it's legit. Someones got ahead of themselves...

Easily

Ha, it's legit. Someones got ahead of themselves...

Yep I wanted to take a look before I posted it too.

URL here http://www.realmadridshop.com/stores/realmadrid/products/product_browse.aspx?category|category_root|8536=football+kits&category|cat_8536|23766=shop+by+player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Sinisa Mihajlovic is better at them than them two combined.
    €82 is fierce steep for a jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GTR63 wrote: »
    Sinisa Mihajlovic is better at them than them two combined.
    €82 is fierce steep for a jersey

they can be got online for less than €30 in some spots

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

That's not unfairly judging, if he doesn't score from 45 yards he shouldn't be taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Arsenal have signed Flamini who has been without a club.

Emanuel Eboue next? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good signing for them, had a very good season at Milan and was on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I always rated him when he was at Arsenal the first time, but lost track of him when he left for AC Milan. How did he get on over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Harry tried to flog him to birmingham for 2.5 million in one of the january transfer windows at one stage...The great Harry Redknapp master of the transfer window bargains lol

Newcastle were offering Andy Carroll for 500k after they were relegated ,a year and a half later Liverpool spent 70 times that amount on him,valuations can sometimes be crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hugo29 wrote: »
    maybe bale has better hair style and a bigger mickey

This is most amusing as Bale models his appearance on Ronnie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good signing for them, had a very good season at Milan and was on a free.

I`m kinda glad we didn`t resign him(helps Cristante a lot). We never got near out of him what we put in. Seemed to only show any form when his contract was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Does anyone think the Ashley Williams to AFC/LFC are a bit mad he looks pretty suspect to me defensively.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Jesus I wonder do people actually watch football sometimes!

On recent evidence, (i.e. last couple of seasons) Bale sh*ts all over Ronaldo when it comes to frees. He's quite possibly the best in the world at the moment at frees. I'm trying to think who would rival him - Suarez, Pirlo... probably missing a couple of other freekick masters. They're all players who step up and you think there is a real chance of a goal.

When Ronaldo steps up I generally expect it to hit the wall or go over.

Sure he'll catch one or two, and while the comparision with Roberto Carlos is maybe a bit harsh on Ronaldo I can see where they're coming from.

Bale should definitely be on frees if he signs

What the actual **** do people be smoking? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Does anyone think the Ashley Williams to AFC/LFC are a bit mad he looks pretty suspect to me defensively.
    don't think he is anywhere near good enough for either of those teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Bale isn't the best in the world at frees. He's got the same technique as Ronny. Who cares who's most accurate, it's possibly the only area where Bale is better than Ronaldo. WOOOOOOOOW.

Bale isn't the best in the world at frees. He's got the same technique as Ronny. Who cares who's most accurate, it's possibly the only area where Bale is better than Ronaldo. WOOOOOOOOW.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Suarez signs for Barcelona Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Suarez is gone!!

http://t.co/l8pAfzywtR

Fantastic talent. 1 year in the B team, and hopefully promoted next season along with Deulofeu to fight for places in the first team

• Advertisement

Big potential in that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

No. ManUtd were interested but Southampton said they won't sell him that season and next day they agreed fee with Spurs.
    However, it could have been vastly different for Bale and Ferguson had the 71-year-old manager's interest in the then young left-back been scuppered by an offer from the north of London.

"We were disappointed in Southampton at the time because we were first there, but they never came back to us," Ferguson told The Telegraph.

"It was not the boy who turned us down, it was Southampton, then a few weeks later he signed for Tottenham Hotspur.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1434417/botched-gareth-bale-transfer-haunts-united-alex-ferguson?cc=4716

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23795802

Talks at an advanced stage. I don't see a thread solely dedicated to this transfer.

Price tag set to eclipse the £80 million sterling world record fee that Real Madrid paid for Cristiano Ronaldo, believed to be in the region of £94 million. What do people think of this transfer? Does anybody think he's worth half that even in the mad world of football finance? Does Bale have the mindset of a great player like Maradona or Messi to handle this and be able to perform on the field? Would he sell the same kind of merchandise etc. that Messi or Ronaldo does?

Where are R Madrid getting their money from to do this? I believe they were bailed out by the Madrid City council a few years back when they paid way over the top to buy their training ground, but then just let them use it anyway.

What has happened to the fair play financial rules that UEFA have been talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Im not sure of the money situation at Spurs but i had assumed some deal was done because Spurs have been spending seriously heavy since mid July.

Isnt there a Spurs superthread for, oh no wait there isn't, there is a summer transfer thread though? Does it need its own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Not much in this thread so....Goina Bale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

kryogen wrote: »
    Isnt there a Spurs superthread for, oh no wait there isn't, there is a summer transfer thread though? Does it need its own thread?

It's going to be a world record transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/gareth-bale/to-leave-during-summer-window

Small € taken on him staying, if the amount is true, why hasn't he moved yet? This has being ongoing for almost 2 months at this stage.

kryogen wrote: »
    What the actual **** do people be smoking? :confused:

I stand by that comment. Not necessarily the best, but in that top bracket, and certainly better by Ronaldo

(By better I mean consistently hitting the target and scoring goals, not just scoring the prettiest one of the year).

Like I said Bale or Suarez step up for a free I'm on the edge of my seat, expecting at least the keeper to have to pull off a stop. Ronaldo steps up and I'm not expecting much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have a feeling Bale may end up more in the Kaka category rather than the CR7 category.

Good luck to him, though.

Advertisement