Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

kryogen wrote: »
    Isnt there a Spurs superthread for, oh no wait there isn't, there is a summer transfer thread though? Does it need its own thread?

Yeah I think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Morzadec wrote: »
    I stand by that comment. Not necessarily the best, but in that top bracket, and certainly better by Ronaldo

(By better I mean consistently hitting the target and scoring goals, not just scoring the prettiest one of the year).

Like I said Bale or Suarez step up for a free I'm on the edge of my seat, expecting at least the keeper to have to pull off a stop. Ronaldo steps up and I'm not expecting much.

I'm trying to look up stats for this cos I'm pretty sure they'd back up what I'm saying but I can only find Ronaldo's over the last 3 seasons - he converts 8% of his free-kicks which isn't shabby, but from what I saw of Suarez and Bale last year I would say they were both easily over 10%, possibly into the 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm trying to look up stats for this cos I'm pretty sure they'd back up what I'm saying but I can only find Ronaldo's over the last 3 seasons - he converts 8% of his free-kicks which isn't shabby, but from what I saw of Suarez and Bale last year I would say they were both easily over 10%, possibly into the 20s

Ronaldo goes for goal from any distance and that's the reason why his conversion rate will be low. No other player will even think of scoring from that distance, they just won't try it like Ronaldo did against Arsenal in 09 or many other free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

I've moved the Bale thread in here. World breaking or not, it's still a transfer (if it happens of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Meh, you cant actually compare them in free kicks (despite Bale also modelling that on Ronnie) unless you get quite specific and only compare them on free kicks from 20 yards, 25 yards, 30 yards etc.

Ronnie takes too many free kicks, or should I say, he shoots from too many of them.

None of the people you mention actually deserve to be up in the best in the world status tbf, what do you think of Mata since we are Prem orientated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Isnt there a Spurs superthread for, oh no wait there isn't, there is a summer transfer thread though? Does it need its own thread?

It probably needs it's own forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

None of the people you mention actually deserve to be up in the best in the world status tbf, what do you think of Mata since we are Prem orientated?

Best player in the league for me last year.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mod

I've moved the Bale thread in here. World breaking or not, it's still a transfer (if it happens of course).

Possibly world transfer record breaking?????

Possibly world transfer record breaking?????

...?

...?

Well there was a thread for Neymar wasn't there? Suarez?

• Advertisement

Didn't Suarez get his own thread? #justsaying

Well there was a thread for Neymar wasn't there? Suarez?

Neymar was merged too.

Suarez wasn't this transfer window? EDIT: Oh I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

ronjo wrote: »
    Dicks at west ham?

Ha! I was thinking Cafu but I always had a soft spot for Julian Dicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Mod

I think this is a remarkable transfer. I don't see where it makes sense. I doubt Bale will attract the sort of merchandise revenue that Ronaldo or Messi would to come anywhere close to justifying this fee. I'm also wondering where Real Madrid are getting the money from to justify this move.

In my opinion this transfer deserves a thread of its own, but maybe it wouldn't get as much traffic because Bale is not a character or as good as players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar or the likes of Maradona was. It's part of the reason that makes this transfer even more perplexing.

In short it's madness.

Neymar was merged too.

Suarez wasn't this transfer window? EDIT: Oh I see it.

I think the Bale thread could be used to follow his career in Spain if he does move (which looks likely now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lennonist wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23795802

Where are R Madrid getting their money from to do this? I believe they were bailed out by the Madrid City council a few years back when they paid way over the top to buy their training ground, but then just let them use it anyway.
    Thats not true but that story has been floating around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mod

Big enough for its own thread IMO so we can all say WTF?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mod

Easily the transfer saga of the summer, definitely warrants it's own thread.

THFC wrote: »
    Easily the transfer saga of the summer, definitely warrants it's own thread.

Nah the Suarez saga took centre stage there, followed by the will they wont they at Old Trafford, the they definitely wont at the Emirates!

Bale to Madrid has been a done deal for a long long time now, despite what Spurs said publicly, their moves in the transfer market betrayed what was going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Bale to Madrid does not warrant it's own thread.

Ronnie back to Old Trafford does though.

Just another reason why Ronaldo is better than Bale. #yolo

• Advertisement

Nah the Suarez saga took centre stage there, followed by the will they wont they at Old Trafford, the they definitely wont at the Emirates!

Bale to Madrid has been a done deal for a long long time now, despite what Spurs said publicly, their moves in the transfer market betrayed what was going to happen

You really don't like Spurs/Bale at all....:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not warning anyone or inviting responses to this part of my post but generally you don't question a mod decision on thread but I guess this is a little different to a warning / infraction against someone. Anyway there arent many Real Madrid fans here on boards.ie (plus most of the Spurs discussion happens elsewhere) so unlike the Suarez saga where I gave it it's own thread because of the sheer volume of posts about it here, in the Liverpool thread and in the Arsenal thread this one isn't neccesarily in as much need of its own thread and is actually keeping the transfer thread ticking along nicely.

Not warning anyone or inviting responses to this part of my post but generally you don't question a mod decision on thread but I guess this is a little different to a warning / infraction against someone. Anyway there arent many Real Madrid fans here on boards.ie (plus most of the Spurs discussion happens elsewhere) so unlike the Suarez saga where I gave it it's own thread because of the sheer volume of posts about it here, in the Liverpool thread and in the Arsenal thread this one isn't neccesarily in as much need of its own thread and is actually keeping the transfer thread ticking along nicely.

How many posts has there been about Bale and Ronaldo though so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Well you certainly have the inside the scoop about all the going-ons at Spurs..

It's just baffling that they haven't it completed yet when they've had it done for so long.

How many posts has there been about Bale and Ronaldo though so far?

not so much that it was derailing any thread, except for perhaps right now as we discuss the possibility of a Bale thread. Of course thats just my opinion and I guess the opinion of the person who merged the threads. Not really a big issue either way now is it.

Bale has been mentioned 194 times in this thread compared to Suarez 131 times and Higuain 104 times.

For the next 11 days there's going to be a lot more considering talks between the clubs are in a "later stage". A separate thread would be good to prevent clutter in this thread with people missing other transfer news lost among the Bale posts. It is shaping up to be the highest transfer in history and the media are all over it which will lead to a barrage of links and rumours in here everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Bale has been mentioned 194 times in this thread compared to Suarez 131 times and Higuain 104 times.

That's some great statistic taking :D :pac:

That's some great statistic taking :D :pac:

Took me an hour to count them all up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surely a seperate thread would be better, I keep coming in here to hear about some interesting transfer news and instead its speculation about how big Bales cock is or who's better at free kicks.

• Advertisement

You really don't like Spurs/Bale at all....:confused::confused::confused:

Why would you say that? I have nothing against either really

Why would you say that? I have nothing against either really

You said the Rooney saga is bigger than the Bale saga. It is no where near as big

as Bales cock.

THFC wrote: »
    Well you certainly have the inside the scoop about all the going-ons at Spurs..

It's just baffling that they haven't it completed yet when they've had it done for so long.

Not really, it seems pretty apparent that Spurs are making sure they get everyone in that they want before letting him go officially

You said the Rooney saga is bigger than the Bale saga. It is no where near as big

as Bales cock.

That's the second time someone has mentioned Bales cock tonight, very odd

I haven't mentioned Rooney at all tbh

Though if pushed about it I would have to admit that I see that as bigger news if it were to happen, the champions selling a player like Rooney to a direct title rival? Pretty big

Not really, it seems pretty apparent that Spurs are making sure they get everyone in that they want before letting him go officially

I thought he was going to stay up til today tbh.

They got loaned money and with the new tv deal etc.

i'd imagine those figures are skewered by the fact that there was a Suarez thread but Bale thread

o and can we please stop talking about his c*ck in either thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Jose Mourinho says Willian has chosen Chelsea over Tottenham. Press conference coming up on #SSN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

DenMan wrote: »
    Jose Mourinho says Willian has chosen Chelsea over Tottenham. Press conference coming up on #SSN

so i heard, talk about just buying someone to stop one of your rivals getting stronger,
    ah well if he can be swayed that easy good luck to willian, he will struggle to get as many games at chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

DenMan wrote: »
    hugo29 wrote: »
    so i heard, talk about just buying someone to stop one of your rivals getting stronger,
    ah well if he can be swayed that easy good luck to willian, he will struggle to get as many games at chelsea

I'd love to know how this can happen with the Premier League's own FFP rules being enforced soon, let alone UEFA's version. Both are supposed to stop this kind of thing from happening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That would be a big need sorted for Chelsea if Willian comes in. They've needed a technically gifted attacking midfielder to slot in beside grafters like Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Moses, De Bruyne and Marin. Gives them a bit of depth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That would be a big need sorted for Chelsea if Willian comes in. They've needed a technically gifted attacking midfielder to slot in beside grafters like Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Moses, De Bruyne and Marin. Gives them a bit of depth too.

Well Marin is gone on loan so I'm guessing he needs to be replaced also when ya look at that list Moses isnt as good as the rest so he needs to be replaced with a bit more quality too.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'd love to know how this can happen with the Premier League's own FFP rules being enforced soon, let alone UEFA's version. Both are supposed to stop this kind of thing from happening.

The thing is that FFP doesn't stop people spending crazy amounts of money on transfers - they just need to keep it as a percentage of their turnover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The thing is that FFP doesn't stop people spending crazy amounts of money on transfers - they just need to keep it as a percentage of their turnover.

And the fact that the Clubs know it won't/can't ever be enforced helps too.

dont think Willian is a done deal to Chelsea yet, he talking to them to see what they have to offer, prob will sign for them

Bale move now on ice again apparently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

it's going to be a domino effect on all these signings. Once one club comes into money all the remaining signings will start to happen

Spurs lose out. I thought Levy was a god :D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Spurs lose out. I thought Levy was a god :D

i for one aint to bothered, was never our player to start with, plenty more time to find someone who actually wants to play for the club, wonder what John Terry will make of him

i for one aint to bothered, was never our player to start with, plenty more time to find someone who actually wants to play for the club, wonder what John Terry will make of him

Personally I think it's insane money for a guy that is hardly prolific. Not that the money matters to Chelsea.

He would have been a good fir to the way Liverpool set up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd assume he will make of him what the rest of the squad make of him, that being a terrifically talented player who could play a pivotal role in a push for the title this season.

I'd assume he will make of him what the rest of the squad make of him, that being a terrifically talented player who could play a pivotal role in a push for the title this season.

cant comment on that one as never seen him play, people seem to rate him but as i said never seen him play
    just curious, do you think he was bought to wind AVB up and stop spurs getting stronger or bought to improve an already impressive Chelsea midfield.

cant comment on that one as never seen him play, people seem to rate him but as i said never seen him play
    just curious, do you think he was bought to wind AVB up and stop spurs getting stronger or bought to improve an already impressive Chelsea midfield.

Expensive wind up !

• Advertisement
Advertisement