Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Expensive wind up !

not to roman, pocket change,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

hugo29 wrote: »
    cant comment on that one as never seen him play, people seem to rate him but as i said never seen him play
    just curious, do you think he was bought to wind AVB up and stop spurs getting stronger or bought to improve an already impressive Chelsea midfield.

Maybe it's to get back at Spurs/AVB a little bit but mainly because he is a quality player who instantly improves the standard of the squad. Also because he is someone who is more natural in wide areas than Oscar, Mata and De Bruyne and he has more quality than Moses. You also have to take into account that up until this point Chelsea really haven't spent that much this summer so I don't think bringing him in is particularly exorbitant by today's standards. All of that and Mourinho looks his attacking players to be quick and Willian is certainly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Very poor move by Chelsea imo. What's the point in bringing him in? He is only at the same level as Chelsea's starting players in his position and they had more than adequate cover both in terms of quantity and quality.

Talk about a big F**k you to the lads on the bench.

Would have been a good signing for Spurs or Liverpool but it's a waste of money for Chelsea that will most likely disrupt the squad harmony and lower morale while having no real significant benefits.

Anything he does while playing, I'm sure that the other MF's Chelsea have could have done more or less the same.

On the upside, there should be a couple of quality midfielders leaving Chelsea on the cheap in the next few years.

Maybe it's to get back at Spurs/AVB a little bit but mainly because he is a quality player who instantly improves the standard of the squad. Also because he is someone who is more natural in wide areas than Oscar, Mata and De Bruyne and he has more quality than Moses. You also have to take into account that up until this point Chelsea really haven't spent that much this summer so I don't think bringing him in is particularly exorbitant by today's standards. All of that and Mourinho looks his attacking players to be quick and Willian is certainly that.

ah well, good luck to the lad, pity he didnt come to spurs but we will move on.

Did they need to improve the standard of the squad though? Surely bringing in a top CF/RB would have been a much more astute move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think we need a CB more then a CF or RB.

Willian will add to Hazard and Schurrle as the best option to play on the flanks.

Oscar, Mata and De Bruyne operate better centrally and Willian is better then Moses too but its not like Chelsea to buy excessively and bloat an area.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think we need a CB more then a CF or RB.

Willian will add to Hazard and Schurrle as the best option to play on the flanks.

Oscar, Mata and De Bruyne operate better centrally and Willian is better then Moses too but its not like Chelsea to buy excessively and bloat an area.

Would you not think you've adequate cover at CB with Terry, Ivanovic, Luiz and Cahill?

Some squad to be fair :eek:

Did they need to improve the standard of the squad though? Surely bringing in a top CF/RB would have been a much more astute move

Personally I do think he does improve the squad and the starting 11 given how Mourinho wants the side to play, I think he fits the bill. Even against Villa on Wednesday, it was clear that Hazard, Oscar and Mata were all a bit narrow at times and they found it tough to break down Villa as a result. Willian certainly offers a more natural width to the squad and genuine quality from that area. I don't think the move for Willian has any bearing on the search for a striker. I will definitely disagree though with the assertion that the club need a right back. Ivanovic is a very good right back, Azpilicueta is an excellent right back and the very impressive Wallace is currently on loan at Inter but is certainly a contender for the right back slot in the long term.

Would you not think you've adequate cover at CB with Terry, Ivanovic, Luiz and Cahill?

Some squad to be fair :eek:

Nobody needs to see Ivanovic at centre back....ever.

• Advertisement

yea less chance of getting bitten in there:D

i though willian played as a no 10 behind the striker

Personally I do think he does improve the squad and the starting 11 given how Mourinho wants the side to play, I think he fits the bill. Even against Villa on Wednesday, it was clear that Hazard, Oscar and Mata were all a bit narrow at times and they found it tough to break down Villa as a result. Willian certainly offers a more natural width to the squad and genuine quality from that area. I don't think the move for Willian has any bearing on the search for a striker. I will definitely disagree though with the assertion that the club need a right back. Ivanovic is a very good right back, Azpilicueta is an excellent right back and the very impressive Wallace is currently on loan at Inter but is certainly a contender for the right back slot in the long term.

I see where you're coming from, just don't think he's needed myself!

Just to clarify, I don't think they need a RB, I just think the money would have been better spent looking for a top class CF or a top class RB and then moving Ivanovic into the centre.

Tbh, the squad needs very little adding to it. The players are there. Chelsea will win the league imo.

He's hardly that bad at CB is he? He always seems to be playing RB whenever Chelsea are on so I haven't seen too many full matches of him at CB over the years bar highlights

I see where you're coming from, just don't think he's needed myself!

Just to clarify, I don't think they need a RB, I just think the money would have been better spent looking for a top class CF or a top class RB and then moving Ivanovic into the centre.

Tbh, the squad needs very little adding to it. The players are there. Chelsea will win the league imo.

dont know bout that, citeh look good too and pellegrini (spelling) looks a good coach, between chelsea and city

hugo29 wrote: »
    yea less chance of getting bitten in there:D

i though willian played as a no 10 behind the striker

He can play as a number 10 but he is certainly comfortable playing wide, he has the pace and skill to go past players, perhaps not something that can be said of Mata and, to a lesser degree, Oscar.

He's hardly that bad at CB is he? He always seems to be playing RB whenever Chelsea are on so I haven't seen too many full matches of him at CB over the years bar highlights

He is, he really is. There are few things in football I hate more than Ivanovic at centre back. He'll play alright for 2/3 games in a row, then make a ridiculous mistake and then we all agree he shouldn't play there, then in a month or two he's back at centre back again, his transgressions forgotten, plays alright for 2/3 games then crazy mistake and he's gone again, rinse and repeat cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lots of talk that Ki of Swansea (ex-Celtic) may be on his way to Sunderland although there is interest from abroad too.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-keen-on-deal-for-swansea-midfielder-ki-sung-yeung-1-5978730

A Korean reporter for ESPN was saying on Twitter that Ki and Laudrup don't get along at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunday's stuff to save trawling through the back pages:

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Paris St-Germain are set to beat Arsenal to the signing of Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye by offering £17m for the 27-year-old.
    Full story: Metro

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to make a £10m bid for Newcastle's 25-year-old keeper Tim Krul.
    Full story: Sun on Sunday (requires subscription)

Wenger is also set to increase his bid to £17m for Krul's team mate, Cabaye, while the Arsenal boss is also eyeing Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, 25.
    Full story: Sun on Sunday (requires subscription)

The Gunners could also make a new bid for Valencia goalkeeper Vicente Guaita after the La Liga club rejected an opening £4m offer for the 26-year-old.
    Full story: Metro

Karim Benzema's agent says the 25-year-old France striker will not be joining Arsenal from Real Madrid in this transfer window.
    Full story: Sporting Life

Gareth Bale, 24, has arrived in Spain while Tottenham and Real Madrid continue to discuss the forward's proposed move to the Bernabeu.
    Full story: Mail on Sunday

Welshman Bale has agreed a £97m six-year contract to join Spanish club Real Madrid.
    Full story: Sunday Mirror

Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo, 28, has informed former club Manchester United he would like to return to the club to end his career.
    Full story: Observer

Stoke, Cardiff and Swansea are all believed to have made offers to sign West Brom's Nigeria international striker Peter Odemwingie, 32.
    Full story: Birmingham Mail

Chelsea will make a final £40m bid for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 27, after Monday's match between the two sides.

Chelsea have turned their attentions away from Rooney and have instead agreed a deal to sign 32-year-old striker Samuel Eto'o as part of the negotiations to acquire Willian for £30m from Anzhi Makhachkala.
    Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Spurs are set to sign £25m striker Erik Lamela from Roma this week as soon as the Italian club sign a replacement for the 21-year-old, who will be reunited with his former director of football Franco Baldini at White Hart Lane.
    Full story: Mail on Sunday

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes is hoping to sign 21-year old striker John Guidetti for about £5.5m from former club Manchester City.
    Full story: Sun on Sunday

West Ham will switch their attention to Porto striker Silvestre Varela, 28, if they fail to agree a deal for Juventus forward Fabio Quagliarella.
    Full story: Sunday Express

Barcelona are preparing a £10m move for Liverpool's 27-year-old central defender Daniel Agger.

OTHER GOSSIP

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway is already fighting for his job at Crystal Palace with the newly promoted Premier League club eyeing up a move for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

@chelseafc: Agreement reached with Willian & Anzhi for transfer of player. It's subject to work permit hearing Wednesday:http://t.co/nc7hEb5BlY #CFC

Daniel levys and avbs jimmies status: rustled

tumblr_m1mxe5od1f1qfh28ro1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The last 3 or 4 are particularly funny

klose wrote: »
    @chelseafc: Agreement reached with Willian & Anzhi for transfer of player. It's subject to work permit hearing Wednesday:http://t.co/nc7hEb5BlY #CFC

Daniel levys and avbs jimmies status: rustled

tumblr_m1mxe5od1f1qfh28ro1_400.gif

Some crack if he didnt get work permit, considering he only has 3 caps for brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bild are reporting United and Real have reached an agreement on Ozil interesting hope its not true :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Bild are reporting United and Real have reached an agreement on Ozil interesting hope its not true :o.

Hopefully not true. I can't see how he wil fit in with Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maybe just maybe but is there a chance that kawaga is just a bit crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oranage2 wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would United fans seriously not want Ozil? I'd have him over Kagawa, although he's certainly a very good player. But maybe ye have other positions you'd want filled first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully not true. I can't see how he wil fit in with Kagawa.
    are u a Man Utd fan?
    Ozil is a better player than Kagawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think Ozil is not a bad signing to be honest. He can pretty much inter change with Kawaga and Rooney so an improvement to our attack. However I understand many fans want CM to be finalised first but don't give up hope yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

MD1990 wrote: »
    are u a Man Utd fan?

Yes i am a fan. Not doubting his talent and ability but i just can't see how he will fit in at Manutd with Kagawa. Lets wait and an see - watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rooney,Ozil and Kagawa can all play in the one team but United will still badly need a CM to partner Carrick.If Fellaini also joins it would be a very good set up and they would probaly line up 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yes i am a fan. Not doubting his talent and ability but i just can't see how he will fit in at Manutd with Kagawa. Lets wait and an see - watch this space.

Well it would be more about how does Kagawa fit in, he's the one will have to fight for a place now.

Ozil is one of the best creative players on the planet, a stupendous player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Apparently the Bild Ozil story is just a link and doesnt mention anything about a deal being agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Ozil is a fantastic player, there is no doubt about that!

Would I want him at United? Yes 100%
    Would every club in the world want him? Yes 100%

I think most United fans will want him aswell but if it meant neglecting the centre of midfield again, then probably not.

He would fit in to the team no problem

Also- He is not coming so no need to worry fitting him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe Kawaga is but I've never heard of him so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

NFQpB.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Maybe he needs a manager that needs time, oh I dunno, say like Hodgson to coach him.

MD1990 wrote: »
    are u a Man Utd fan?

Nah.

Ah look ignore the rest of them laughing at you and taking the mick, Ill answer your question

No there is no chance that Kagawa is just a bit crap.

No chance at all.

Paully D wrote: »
    Lots of talk that Ki of Swansea (ex-Celtic) may be on his way to Sunderland although there is interest from abroad too.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-keen-on-deal-for-swansea-midfielder-ki-sung-yeung-1-5978730

A Korean reporter for ESPN was saying on Twitter that Ki and Laudrup don't get along at all.

Be a good signing for Sunderland.

Kagawa is in no way crap but he hasn't settled well and hasn't reached the heights he did at Dortmund. He's been relatively underwhelming for such a good player and just because he's with United doesn't make him better than he is!

• Advertisement

Kagawa is in no way crap but he hasn't settled well and hasn't reached the heights he did at Dortmund. He's been relatively underwhelming for such a good player and just because he's with United doesn't make him better than he is!

Did Silva set the league on fire his first season? did Mata?

He was injured, played infrequently and rarely played in his natural position. All part of the guaranteed recipe for success :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

kryogen wrote: »

Yes and yes.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

hmmmm

Sorry, your right about Mata, he hit the ground pretty well, Silva definitely looked much better his second year (as did Mata consequently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He was injured, played infrequently and rarely played in his natural position. All part of the guaranteed recipe for success :rolleyes:

I believe they both did...Mata in particular was great in his first season.

Mata scored 6 league goals and got 16 assists in 34 league games so yes he did.

I'm not saying he's a bad player at all, he was outstanding with Dortmund. Why buy him if they weren't gonna play him at all/in position?

They bought a good player in a position they didn't need. The focus should have been on CM and if they make a purchase now for any other position without having prioritised CM then it will be a mistake.

mata was excellent in his first season .Silva had a decent first season but he definitely stepped up a few levels in his second season.Both of those players got over 50 games in their first season but Kagawa's was interrupted by injury and he didnt get 30 appearances.

• Advertisement

I believe they both did...Mata in particular was great in his first season.

Silva definitely looked much much better his second season

Statistically Kags first season isn't exactly far behind them is it

Silva: 30 starts 5 sub apps 4 goals 7 assists

Mata: 29 starts 5 sub apps 6 goals 13 assists

Kagawa: 17 starts 3 sub appearance 6 goals 3 assists

That's without having to throw in the caveat that the other two were played in their natural positions and he wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

That's without having to throw in the caveat that the other two were played in their natural positions and he wasn't

Mata wasn't played in his natural position, he spent most of his first season as a left winger.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Mata wasn't played in his natural position, he spent most of his first season as a left winger.

Mata is comfortable anywhere on the support line, he has proved that, the guy is talent personified

Edit: btw I was leaving that out as I specified, all three of their seasons are hardly that far apart when you take into account the playing times of all three

Silva definitely looked much much better his second season

Statistically Kags first season isn't exactly far behind them is it

Silva: 30 starts 5 sub apps 4 goals 7 assists

Mata: 29 starts 5 sub apps 6 goals 13 assists

Kagawa: 17 starts 3 sub appearance 6 goals 3 assists

Kagawa's stats aren't bad at all .He wasn't outstanding but he still did well when he played.An injury free season and playing in his best position I would have no doubt that Kagawa would be up there with the best in the league.
    I even think he will do well playing LW this season if Moyes uses a similar system that he used with Everton.

Mata is a comfortably the best of the 3 at the minute in my opinion.

Never had the highest opinion of Silva for some reason.

This is Kagawa's season to make his mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement