Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

jose is just trolling man u, thats all

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Can't see Mata leaving Chelsea this summer. Maybe next summer though, Chelsea do have too many midfielders to keep happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

United fans blowing smoke where's there no fire, not long left to sign someone now.

What?

Did United fans make up this rumour?

I hate the idea that because the media are being absolutely ridiculous linking United to every player they can think of, United fans are somehow deluded. If you bothered your arse to check you'd see the United Superthread expects no new signings, maybe Fellaini.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Mata is going nowhere. Not only would it be stupid to play an unproven kid in his position immediately, there would be uproar from the fans as well.
    Stupid, lazy journalism with no foundation designed to rile people up and get them talking.

You mightn't be a journalist, but... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mata wont be leaving anytime soon. You dont get rid of your best player because you've signed a decent Brazilian for big money.

Unless Joses opinio has changed since his press conference on Friday its just not going to happen.

Well Jose's comments could hardly be taken as a hands off warning. What did he say? ''Mata is a player we'd like to keep, he has a lot of quality''

That is the bare minimum of what you'd expect him to say regardless of his true intentions. Saying anything more negative would immediately lessen the club's bargaining position.

If Jose really wanted to keep Mata, I would have expected him to say something more along the lines of ''Mata is not for sale, he will be 100% a Chelsea player come September 2nd''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea have received no bids for Juan Mata, according to Sky sources, & the player has no intention of leaving. Sky

I can see Oscar playing deeper at some point and Schurrle being used as a forward which would cut down on the competition for those 3 places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    You mightn't be a journalist, but... :o

I have already acknowledged that they are the same age, while Mata was busy establishing himself as a top class AM in the premiership, maybe even the best, Willian was plying his trade in a poor Russian league and produced a few good performances in the CL. If you disagree and think that Willian will fill Mata's shoes and then some then just say so, but taking a sly dig at my intelligence without providing any actual opinion on the topic is completely unnecessary.

I have already acknowledged that they are the same age, while Mata was busy establishing himself as a top class AM in the premiership, maybe even the best, Willian was plying his trade in a poor Russian league and produced a few good performances in the CL. If you disagree and think that Willian will fill Mata's shoes and then some then just say so, but taking a sly dig at my intelligence without providing any actual opinion on the topic is completely unnecessary.

Meh. Willian won't be coming in to replace Mata.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Could be telling that Chelsea have said they've received no offers for Mata, rather than he's not for sale?

Talk going around that Cardiff have been given permission from Heerenveen to speak to Finnbogason. Would be a coup if they signed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Talk going around that Cardiff have been given permission from Heerenveen to speak to Finnbogason. Would be a coup if they signed him.

never heard of him myself, whats he like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

redzerdrog wrote: »

He scores goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be a really good signing. Between him and Bony, all these cult strikers are finally being signed by teams.

redzerdrog wrote: »

A monster.

Ceiling potential is a Huntelaar to use a well known player, or perhaps a Soldado since his workrate is far and away better to a Huntelaar.

Kondogbia should be signing for Monaco this week now his they activated his £17M release clause. Excellent signing. Scary how much Sevilla have been raided this summer due to their financial problems.
    #Sevilla's Geoffrey #Kondogbia is set to sign for #Monaco. RMC believe the principality club have met the midfielder's €20m release clause.
    #Kondogbia expected to sign a five-year deal at Stade Louis II later this week. #Monaco

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Good signing. I can't see Toulalan being very happy though?

Good signing. I can't see Toulalan being very happy though?

Not sure.

Hard to tell how they'll line up now that's for sure. If it were me, I'd go for this..

- - - - - - Toulalan - Kondogbia - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - Moutinho - - - - - - - - - -

Ocampos - - - - - - - - - - - - Rodriguez

- - - - - - - - - - Falcao - - - - - - - - - -

When in defence, Moutinho will slot in beside the two Frenchmen obviously.

Rivière's form has surprised a lot of people, so Raneiri might stick with 4-4-2 or a variation similar to that for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not sure.

Hard to tell how they'll line up now that's for sure. If it were me, I'd go for this..

- - - - - - Toulalan - Kondogbia - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - Moutinho - - - - - - - - - -

Ocampos - - - - - - - - - - - - Rodriguez

- - - - - - - - - - Falcao - - - - - - - - - -

When in defence, Moutinho will slot in beside the two Frenchmen obviously.

Rivière's form has surprised a lot of people, so Raneiri might stick with 4-4-2 or a variation similar to that for now.

Obbadi has started every league game so far also IIRC. I presume he'll lose out long term as well as Riviere. I hadn't really considered a switch to 4-2-3-1, but on paper, that looks the best team.

This seems dead now.
    Malky Mackay rules out a move for forward Alfred Finnbogason, but refuses to be drawn on reports he is in the hunt for Isaac Cuenca on loan.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Dortmund players: Jakub Błaszczykowski, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Good luck commentators.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Dortmund players: Jakub Błaszczykowski, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Good luck commentators.
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    :)

Good luck Bundesliga, more like. With Aubameyang & Mkhitaryan particularly, Dortmund have signed very well as always.

They could give one of the strongest Bayern sides in years, a good run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1m
    Ljajic has accepted Roma bid: to Fiorentina 10m € + 3m € add-ons

Looks like Ljajic is off to Roma. Replacement for Spurs bound Lamela?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

TheTownie wrote: »
    Looks like Ljajic is off to Roma. Replacement for Spurs bound Lamela?

Not a great move for either player. Surprised Ljajic turned down a few clubs to join a team worse than Fiorentina from top to bottom. Lamela in 12 months could of joined a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Lamela will be a success. As will Jovetic if he gets game time.

Glad Milan didn't get Ljajic. A mistake given the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

David Hytner
    @DaveHytner

Spurs have bid €8m for Christian Eriksen. Ajax want €15m

Good to see Daniel Levi is joining the "cheapskates" club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

mike65 wrote: »

They will most probably meet somewhere in the middle, he is in last year of contract isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

mike65 wrote: »

Testing the water to see what Ajax will come back with. Good player IMO

Lamela will be a success. As will Jovetic if he gets game time.

Glad Milan didn't get Ljajic. A mistake given the circumstances

Should have stayed in Florence instead of moving to Roma who have absolutely no chance of CL football. Particularly after selling their best two youngsters (Lamela and Marquinos) and then selling another promising one (Nico Lopez) to Udinese for about €1m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mentioned on Off The Ball last night that if Lyon don't make it into UCL group stages that there'll be a fire sale of players.

• Advertisement

The Bale transfer saga has to be the most dragged in history?

zerks wrote: »
    Mentioned on Off The Ball last night that if Lyon don't make it into UCL group stages that there'll be a fire sale of players.

Haven't a notion of coming back from 2 down unless Sociedad give away a peno and get a red or that. Who's left Gourcuff, Gomis, and then you'd be looking at the likes of Lacazette, Benzia, Umtiti and Gonalans.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Haven't a notion of coming back from 2 down unless Sociedad give away a peno and get a red or that. Who's left Gourcuff, Gomis, and then you'd be looking at the likes of Lacazette, Benzia, Umtiti and Gonalans.

Lyon have more than enough players to get the win and go through on aggregate.

La Real were the better side over ninety minutes, but they scored from two absolute stunning finishes. Lyon finishing like Liverpool and Grenier having a right ol stinker of a game didn't help neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Lyon have more than enough players to get the win and go through on aggregate.

La Real were the better side over ninety minutes, but they scored from two absolute stunning finishes. Lyon finishing like Liverpool and Grenier having a right ol stinker of a game didn't help neither.

I also expect La Real to get a little nervy tonight. I'm on Lyon to win the match in 90 mins, but I hope La Real make it through.

Some of the goals they've scored in the last few seasons are quite simply breathtaking, in fact I would say if you took their top 5 goals over the last 2 seasons and took 5 goals by all other clubs, La Real's would come out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Willian is now a Chelsea player. I've a feeling Mata is leaving before the end of the window. Its hard to believe that Mourinho has not made him the focal point of the front four at Chelsea.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Willian is now a Chelsea player. I've a feeling Mata is leaving before the end of the window. Its hard to believe that Mourinho has not made him the focal point of the front four at Chelsea.

Moses to Liverpool in 5.4.3.2.1.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

zerks wrote: »

Are they under pressure financially?

I'd take Grenier and Gonalons off them.

BSwfoCFCAAEd7bj.jpg

Agueroooo wrote: »
    BSwfoCFCAAEd7bj.jpg

Is he sure though?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

So Mou is going with an unproven Brazilian instead of Mata. Who has been their best player and the PL best midfielder, wow. What does he have against him? Or is it just Spanish players he seems to dislike, going from his strops at Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So Mou is going with an unproven Brazilian instead of Mata. Who has been their best player and the PL best midfielder, wow. What does he have against him? Or is it just Spanish players he seems to dislike, going from his strops at Real Madrid.

A lot of clueless posters about here, Mata isn't 100% fit, that's all it is.

• Advertisement

Wilshere is not always 100% fit but still plays. Because he's a key player for Arsenal just like Mata should be for Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Wilshere is not always 100% fit but still plays. Because he's a key player for Arsenal just like Mata should be for Chelsea.

Unlike Arsenal, Chelsea actually have quality replacements to come in when he isn't 100% fit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Chelsea have options though, which Arsenal are kind of short on at the moment. Playing injured players is stupid.

As for not wanting Mata in your team, you'd have to be nuts. He's fuppin brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Arsenal don't have the depth Chelsea have, why would you play an unfit player when you have these fully fit players to choose from; KDB, Oscar, Hazard, Schurrle, Lampard, Ramires etc

When did he get unfit? He played for Spain at the end of June, was rested until the preseason Champion's Cup where he twice played a whole half. Then doesn't start the first game but starts the second one only to be dropped to the bench for the United game.

Say what you will about his fitness but if he wasn't fit then surely he would not have started against Villa?

Unlike Arsenal, Chelsea actually have quality replacements to come in when he isn't 100% fit.

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sick of repaeting at this stage, Mata got an extended break, hes well behind the rest of the squad and is being brought in slowly.

I was at the Villa game and apart from Ba, he was our worse player in show and it was his 1st start.

He was never going to be risked against Utd where any slip would have cost us the game, Mata is here to stay and wont be sold.

Ba, Mikel and Moses look likes the one to be cast a side from this Mourinho squad, you dont sell youre best player and if you do, you dont sell him to another English team.

It would be our worse transfer deal, in or out if we got rid of Mata now while bringing in Schurrle and Willian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

eagle eye wrote: »
    When did he get unfit? He played for Spain at the end of June, was rested until the preseason Champion's Cup where he twice played a whole half. Then doesn't start the first game but starts the second one only to be dropped to the bench for the United game.

Say what you will about his fitness but if he wasn't fit then surely he would not have started against Villa?

I was there, he was shocking, he was well off the boil and was playing from wide right while Oscar was through the centre.

He maybe fit but hes not match fit and missed the majority of pre-season.

He'll be grand after the international break.

Sick of repaeting at this stage, Mata got an extended break, hes well behind the rest of the squad and is being brought in slowly.

I was at the Villa game and apart from Ba, he was our worse player in show and it was his 1st start.

He was never going to be risked against Utd where any slip would have cost us the game, Mata is here to stay and wont be sold.

Ba, Mikel and Moses look likes the one to be cast a side from this Mourinho squad, you dont sell youre best player and if you do, you dont sell him to another English team.

It would be our worse transfer deal, in or out if we got rid of Mata now while bringing in Schurrle and Willian.
    Mikel started the United game, he is a Mourinho type of player, why are you suggesting he will be sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Spot on, he also barely had a pre season, being away with Spain at the Confederations Cup, Mourinho has also said that he was carrying a knock in the Villa game, he didn't play much in pre season and Mata himself says that he isn't up to speed yet. This is a classic case of the media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement