Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for new trainers?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I bought a pair of Mizunos in Amphibian King around two years ago when I started running. I was fairly light on miles (and discipline!). I'd say I've clocked up about 300 to 400 miles in them at this stage so maybe I should be replacing them as I'm now following a schedule and am starting to do over 20 miles a week. Considering DCM in October. I've been injury free all this time. I pronate and I'm reluctant to even think about changing to a new pair for fear they could trigger something. I'm conscious though that maybe lack of cushioning/bounce in my existing pair could actually lead to injury. Any strong views? I know some people who think regular replacement is a bit of a marketing ploy. They find a pair of trainers they like and literally run them 'til they fall apart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you are aiming for DCM and are ramping-up the miles the shoes will need rotation with a new pair at some stage. The earlier you do that the longer both shoes will endure the longer runs.

The beauty of Mizuno is they don't change the shoes dramatically from year to year so you should have no issue bringing on a new pair of shoes,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

An update. Is it time for new trainers?

Yes, yes it is.

My right Achilles started getting sore this week. Tonight I ran the last mile of a 2 x 2 mile route around Marley in some discomfort. I was determined to finish despite the fact that everything was telling me to stop. I should have walked the last mile and cooled down and enjoyed the beautiful sunny evening. Instead I carried on and finished my 2 laps in a real crappy time. My right Achilles is tender to the pinch and I can't do the Park Run tomorrow morning which has become the highlight of my Saturday mornings over the last few weeks. I was even considering volunteering!

I just cannot understand.
    1. I went on a (drinking) session last weekend and was still feeling the effects on Monday so no running. I'd normally take Monday off so no guilt there. Tuesday, I did a 5 mile run even though my body (and brain) did not want to. I ran slower than normal. Felt good afterwards, slept great and carried on with Weds and Thurs running even though my legs felt tired.
    2. I do not stretch. I never have. I read articles some time ago and concluded that there wasn't any advantage. That was when I was running 3 times a week, max 12 miles. Never had an injury. In the last 2 months, I've started running 5 times a week and do at least 20. Still no stretching. God no.
    3. I picked up a pair of €50 Adidas trainers online 'cos I convinced myself that I couldn't afford €120 to go to AmPhib, get gait re-analysed and buy another pair of Mizunos identical to the pair that have caused me no problems whatsoever in the last 2 years (albeit with less mileage per week).
    4. I have run in said €50 Adidas trainers for the last 4 weeks with no problems ('til this week). In fact, was running faster. Mind you this could be attributable to the Garmin which I bought around the same time. I can't be sure whether it's the trainers or the virtual pacer bleeps that have brought my average mile time down from 9.00 to 8.30.
    Anyway, like I say. I just cannot understand. Why am I now in a position where I cannot run for the next week to 10 days?

'cos I'm an idiot. That's why.
    1. I will not drink on a Saturday night to the extent that I am still hungover on a Monday.
    2. I will stretch. I'm 39 for Christ sake!
    3. I will go out to AmPhib with both pairs of my last trainers hopefully to show the levels of pronation. I will not baulk at €120 for a new pair.
    4. If they work out, I will go back out to Bray in a few weeks, buy another pair, and alternate.
    5. I will start my DCM training on 24th June as planned.
    Sorry. Just had to get that out.

PS as a returning customer you get €10 discount off your shoes each time too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Is it possible to call into the shop and get my gait done in a pair of runners i bought elsewhere??
    Or does anyone know of a sports shop that wood allow this around Bray/Dublin area

ronn wrote: »
    Is it possible to call into the shop and get my gait done in a pair of runners i bought elsewhere??
    Or does anyone know of a sports shop that wood allow this around Bray/Dublin area

That would be down to the manager of each store & how busy they are on a particular day.

Occasionally I would have people referred to call in with existing shoes looking for reassurance or questioning whether it is suitable. Some of the time the bargain shoe that a person has picked up is suitable for them starting out on a running program.

The purpose of the analysis and profiling is to determine which shoes are suitable for your running goals. We do this by identifying your gait type and then selecting a range of shoes within that profile for you to try before making a decision.

If you contact the Bray store and explain what you are looking for I'm sure they will try and accomodate you if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

That would be down to the manager of each store & how busy they are on a particular day.

Occasionally I would have people referred to call in with existing shoes looking for reassurance or questioning whether it is suitable. Some of the time the bargain shoe that a person has picked up is suitable for them starting out on a running program.

The purpose of the analysis and profiling is to determine which shoes are suitable for your running goals. We do this by identifying your gait type and then selecting a range of shoes within that profile for you to try before making a decision.

If you contact the Bray store and explain what you are looking for I'm sure they will try and accomodate you if possible.

There's an idea for you charge e20 for the gait analysis if people don't buy runners in your shop.
    I got it done before and was recommended a pair of Nike's so I've just stuck with Nike, I go to the states a good bit so I can get the runners for half the price over there,
    Thanks

ronn wrote: »
    There's an idea for you charge e20 for the gait analysis if people don't buy runners in your shop.

We won't charge and shops shouldn't do that.

If you charge for it then IMO you are paying for a professional opinion. We are not professionals (physio, podiatrist etc), we are simply giving customers our opinion based on your running experiences, what we can pick out in the video, and our knowledge of running shoes; as to which shoe is suitable for you.

As mentioned checking your footwear, bought elsewhere, would be down to the individual manager.

Advertisement