Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coughlans Bar Douglas Street.

Options
  • 23-04-2013 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone been there?I notice they have a new beer garden and music during the week.Someone once told me that the regulars are a bit cliquey and regard strangers with suspicion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Stumbled onto the place a few months back, nice old pub and there was a really good gig in there actually. I suppose it's kinda halfway between an "old man's pub" and a more popular venue. It looked like there were some long-time regulars in there and we didn't fit in (not that I'd mind that), but I'd guess it's getting more popular; heard from a few people who've started going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

beer garden is lovely, but it does have its fair share of regulars from before the refit. lovely place though. Legend has it, that it was the venue for my christening party many moons ago.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Is that near where The Acadian used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not sure where the Acadian is/was, but it's near the end of Douglas St. at the Summerhill South end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Henry94 wrote: »
    Is that near where The Acadian used to be?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 hassy

Have been at loads of great gigs there and have become quite friendly with "the regulars" that are there, , some great characters and very friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CBE

I used to work in Coughlans back in 1998/1999. I lived in one of the apartments above and was doing my MA at the same time. I am now living in West Cork, but have such fond memories of my times working in Coughlans. The Arcadian was the pub a few doors up from Coughlans. It was a much more atmospheric pub and a place that I would go to on my evenings off! I wonder what happened to all of the regulars from Coughlans almost 20 years ago. They are probably now passed, as they were elderly then. Would love an update from anyone who used to go to Coughlans almost 20 years ago! Celine

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The Acadian is unfortunately no longer a going concern. I think it closed in the Celtic Tiger era. It is now a takeaway pizza place.
    Douglas Street had a good vibe back in the late 90s. It went downhill in the 2000s but there are some new businesses there now and the street is looking better.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

CBE wrote: »
    I used to work in Coughlans back in 1998/1999. I lived in one of the apartments above and was doing my MA at the same time. I am now living in West Cork, but have such fond memories of my times working in Coughlans. The Arcadian was the pub a few doors up from Coughlans. It was a much more atmospheric pub and a place that I would go to on my evenings off! I wonder what happened to all of the regulars from Coughlans almost 20 years ago. They are probably now passed, as they were elderly then. Would love an update from anyone who used to go to Coughlans almost 20 years ago! Celine

Coughlans is much bigger now, I think anyway. I'm open to correction, but I don't remember the beer garden being there in the past. The place is thriving. I'm only ever there on weekends, but it's usually a job to find a seat and forget about getting an unused table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I went there during the Jazz weekend, seems like a grand spot and they regularly have music there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement