Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beetroot cured salmon?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

I had something like this today, can't remember if it said 'cured' or what but I was curious as to how it was done and forgot to ask while I was there.

The salmon was served cold in thin slices and had quite a strong taste and colour of beetroot about it. It was soft enough to slice with the side of a fork and served with wasabi mayo and tiny cubes of apple.

It was really nice, not filling enough for a dinner but I was having lunch so it was grand. Just wondering if the dish is familiar to anyone and if they know how it's made?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I had something like this today, can't remember if it said 'cured' or what but I was curious as to how it was done and forgot to ask while I was there.

The salmon was served cold in thin slices and had quite a strong taste and colour of beetroot about it. It was soft enough to slice with the side of a fork and served with wasabi mayo and tiny cubes of apple.

It was really nice, not filling enough for a dinner but I was having lunch so it was grand. Just wondering if the dish is familiar to anyone and if they know how it's made?

We made something similar at Christmas: beetroot-cured gravadlax. It takes a few days to make, and you need to be very confident of the freshness of your salmon since you're not cooking it, but it looks fantastic (ruby red colour around the edges of the slices) and has a fantastic flavour. We served it with a sweet mustard and dill sauce.

Here's one recipe, but there are others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Sorry what I really meant to ask is how is the salmon cured? I was under the impression you had to use salt but this salmon didn't taste salty whatsoever, the only flavour was beetroot/salmon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sorry what I really meant to ask is how is the salmon cured? I was under the impression you had to use salt but this salmon didn't taste salty whatsoever, the only flavour was beetroot/salmon.

It's cured with salt, sugar, beetroot and vodka. There isn't that much salt in the mix, but it's generally always there to help firm up the flesh. The beetroot is a strong enough flavour that it easily dominates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Curing with salt doesn't necessarily make something taste salty.

Advertisement