Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable PC Case/Housing for This Setup? | New To Building.

Options
  • 23-04-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'd like to start by saying that I have never built a PC before but do have a good knowledge of IT i.e. hardware, software etc

So, I would like to order the following components as advised by several other threads here;

Intel Core i5 2500K 4x3.30GHz So1155 Box - CPU
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 ATX - Mobo
    MSI r7850 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 2GD5/OC - GPU
    Corsair 8GB Kit PC3-10667U DDR3-1333 CL9 XMS3 - RAM
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1000GB 3.5'' Sata 6Gb / s 7200rpm - SATA HDD
    Corsair Builder Series CX500 500 watt 80 + Bronze 12mm - PSU

All of these components come to a total of 637 Euro. [Monitor not yet chosen]

Now the predicament in my situation is the PC housing as I have no idea whether what will fit and what won't. :confused:

I would be very grateful if someone could suggest a suitable housing for ~50 Euro as I would like to keep this build under 700 Euro.

Any replies on this matter would be MUCH appreciated! :)

Regards,
    TheRated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The motherboard and PSU are stand ard ATX so any ATX case will work.
    Where are you buying the parts from?

Also you should get the newer i5 3570k over the 2500k

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheRated

Thank you for this information Tuxy, after adding this case url]http://www.hoh.de/hardware/gehaeuse/computergehaeuse/nach-hersteller/sharkoon/11161/sharkoon-t9-value-gruen-atx[/url and replacing the cpu with the 3570k, the price comes to exactly 710.00 Euro, with the 3570K being only 10 Euro more than the 2500K...

Upon further reading, I will go with the original 2500K, as it costs less, performs better under overclocking and ultimately outperforms the 3570K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This isn't true. The 2500K will overclock to a higher frequency than the 3570K, yes, but the 3570K is a more efficient iteration of the architecture. A 4.3GHz 3570K will perform the same as a 4.8GHz 2500K, and in the case of the 3570K you've still got more headroom.

Serephucus wrote: »
    This isn't true. The 2500K will overclock to a higher frequency than the 3570K, yes, but the 3570K is a more efficient iteration of the architecture. A 4.3GHz 3570K will perform the same as a 4.8GHz 2500K, and in the case of the 3570K you've still got more headroom.

I am planning on overclocking to the highest stable gHz with either one, so, you're saying that the 3570K (4 x 3.40gHz)

• Advertisement

Well my 3570K will do 4.6 with no problems, and it's not even a particularly good one.

You also have the option of de-lidding a 3570K, which you can't do with a 2500K, meaning you could probably get to 5.0 with a good cooler.

Is there any reason you need all this power? I haven't found a game that a 4.0GHz 3570K can't handle.

Is there any reason you need all this power? I haven't found a game that a 4.0GHz 3570K can't handle.

I would just prefer to be able to squeeze the absolute most out of my budget :p

Then grab a 3570K, de-lid the mother****er, and OC the **** out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TheRated wrote: »
    Upon further reading, I will go with the original 2500K, as it costs less, performs better under overclocking and ultimately outperforms the 3570K

Clock for clock the 3570k outperforms the 2500k. The 2500k will overclock higher in most cases but the lower clocked 3570k will still outperform it.

The 2500k does not have the integrated pciE controller that the 3570k has either meaning the pciE3 on your mainboard is 100% useless. You will be limited to pcie2 x 16 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Then grab a 3570K, de-lid the mother****er, and OC the **** out of it. :)

I'm going to bin my CPU once I get my motherboard disaster sorted out and see if delidding it is worth it. I've been reading about a new method whereby you put the CPU in a vice and tap it with a hammer for a clean break :D If I can get a sick discount on a 4670k, though... :P

• Advertisement

A friend of mine might be taking the guts of my current setup. If he decides not to, I might (depending on Haswell reviews of course) just stick with my 3570K and de-lid it. I figure temps are of extra concern in a case with only a slim 240mm radiator and two slow fans. :)

As much as I want to custom build, I have found an amazing pre built PC rolling in 650 Euro...

i7 3770 4 x 3.4gHz
    GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost 1gb
    8Gb Ram
    1TB SATA

Alot of the specs are similar with a very slight drop in Graphics but an impressive jump in CPU, all pre built and with warranty.
    So, thank you all for words of advise, it's helped me loads in the decision making :D

The 3770 isn't overclockable, just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Depending on what you are using the pc for mainly... That build with the 3770 would suit for video rendering or anything that would use hyperthreading but for gaming you'd be better off dropping the CPU to a 3570k overclocking and getting a better GPU.. Just be careful a lot of pre build machines will sacrifice quality in some areas to keep prices low like motherboard or psu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TheRated wrote: »
    As much as I want to custom build, I have found an amazing pre built PC rolling in 650 Euro...

i7 3770 4 x 3.4gHz
    GeForce GTX 650 TI Boost 1gb
    8Gb Ram
    1TB SATA

Alot of the specs are similar with a very slight drop in Graphics but an impressive jump in CPU, all pre built and with warranty.
    So, thank you all for words of advise, it's helped me loads in the decision making :D

You can buy from hardwareversand prebuilt with warranty and pick every part yourself. As said already said the i7 will be slower than an overclocked i5 in gaming.

Advertisement