Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty motherboard-squeaking noise

Options
  • 23-04-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have an old PC motherboard that I'm looking to repair. When powered up nothing is displayed on screen at all.Also a high pitched squeaking,in an ascending sound,is coming from around the processor area,(many capacitors here,not bulging/swelled looking), I suspect it to be faulty capacitors. Power is getting to the fans too. I think a power surge may have damaged the board but not too sure.

Does anyone have an ideas/suggestions as to whats wrong and how to repair ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Make sure theres ram ,in first 2 slots, cpu is installed properly,
    dont think its worth fixing old motherboards,
    as A NEW one is around 60 euro.
    Last time i checked.
    There could be a faulty capacitor or resistor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sounds like a cap alright. Or possibly a faulty inductor with a cracked core. What's the make/model of the board ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

its sounds like the motherboard capacitors have blown... you would be better off just buying a new upgrade kit for the pc

Advertisement