Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Holiday Cottages Disaster?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Anyone stay at Atlantic View Cottages Kilkee Co. Clare of late? Did you have the bad experience we had only to find West Coast Holidays who run the facility could not care less? Pity; Kilkee is fabulous. Atlantic Vew Cottages - STAY AWAY!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Stayed there last Aug with West Coast holidays and will not use WC holidays again.
    Not a disaster but just grimy houses in need of thorough cleaning and freshening up.
    Wrote a very nice email to WC afterwards-never heard a word

Wouldn't recommend Atlantic View or West Coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Bren157 wrote: »
    Anyone stay at Atlantic View Cottages Kilkee Co. Clare of late? Did you have the bad experience we had only to find West Coast Holidays who run the facility could not care less? Pity; Kilkee is fabulous. Atlantic Vew Cottages - STAY AWAY!

Its more than unfair in my opinion to run down a business without giving details of what happened. This will let the board users make up their own minds of where your complaint is valid or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There is no such place as Atlantic View Cottages in Kilkee. There are Atlantic View Holiday Holiday Homes in the West End and there are Atlantean Cottages in the East End . I have stayed in Atlantic View Holiday Homes many times, as have relatives, and have never had a problem. They were always clean and if anything broke it was replaced immediately.
    I have had bad experiences in Spanish Cove in Kilkee with filthy accommodation and indifferent management, and relatives had a seriois problem with a house at Georges Head.
    In my view, after about seven stays, Atlantic View are professionally run and are my holiday home of choice in Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bren157

The full name is Atlantic View Holiday Homes and they DO exist! If you google West Coast Holidays, they manage the site. If you then go into their site, seek Co. Clare, Kilkee and self-catering homes, Atlantic View Holiday Homes are one of the first options.

Its more than unfair in my opinion to run down a business without giving details of what happened. This will let the board users make up their own minds of where your complaint is valid or not.

Victor,

Just making sure you got my detailed reply? We also have photos if you want to see them...
    Mouldy curtains, broken window blinds, rusted radiators, disgraceful cooking hob with collapsed rings and rust-ridden, sink water draining onto lawn, open drain holes at gable of house, electric shower that tripped the house, an electrican who viewed shower suggesting we were lucky nobody was electrocuted in the shower. And this is on top of nobody there to check us in, nobody showed us around the house and how things worked, the mgt firm tried to extort €50 for esb when we burned 80 units or baout €16.00 worth of electricity, nobody met us when checking out, could not hand back keys to anyone, no return of 6 phone calls, 4 voicemails to 4 different contact numbers from the company and no reply to our letter of complaint. Stay away? Absolutely...

• Advertisement

The full name is Atlantic View Holiday Homes and they DO exist! If you google West Coast Holidays, they manage the site. If you then go into their site, seek Co. Clare, Kilkee and self-catering homes, Atlantic View Holiday Homes are one of the first options.

They are not cottages which is what your o/p described them as. I have stayed in them many times. I have never had a problem.

Hi Kosseegan; you are right about the name, apologies. But we are referring to the same houses it would appear and your experience is vastly diferent from ours, and others it would seem. Some of the houses are privately owned and rented. They are easily identified - cleaner, freshly painted, properly maintained. The units managed by West Coast Holidays in our experience are a bad deal. We also visited more than just our rented unit as we met a two other couples. Similar experiences for them also during this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Victor,

Just making sure you got my detailed reply? We also have photos if you want to see them...
    Mouldy curtains, broken window blinds, rusted radiators, disgraceful cooking hob with collapsed rings and rust-ridden, sink water draining onto lawn, open drain holes at gable of house, electric shower that tripped the house, an electrican who viewed shower suggesting we were lucky nobody was electrocuted in the shower. And this is on top of nobody there to check us in, nobody showed us around the house and how things worked, the mgt firm tried to extort €50 for esb when we burned 80 units or baout €16.00 worth of electricity, nobody met us when checking out, could not hand back keys to anyone, no return of 6 phone calls, 4 voicemails to 4 different contact numbers from the company and no reply to our letter of complaint. Stay away? Absolutely...

can you upload the offending photos

can you upload the offending photos
    Not really sure how? But i have photos of oven hob, curtains, blinds, etc and copy of letters to the company.

Not really sure how? But i have photos of oven hob, curtains, blinds, etc and copy of letters to the company.
    Should also say that i gain nothing in giving this feedback. It would be different if I was trying to promote something. But based on some other comments to the thread it is clear our experience is not unique and is a valid account of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Have you told the company in questi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Have you told the company in question you are posting here to give them a right of reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I mentioned on an earlier post that we also hadn't a good experience with West Coast Holidays in the Atlantic View Holiday Homes in Kilkee last year.
    I tried to locate the email that I sent them outlining all our gripes but unfortunately I can;t find it (We weren't looking for anything but simply giving feedback on our experience and we didn't even get a response).
    In talking to the other couples that we went with here are some of the issues that we encountered. Between us, we stayed in three different houses and have all agreed that we wouldn't recommend them or return to them.
    Among our issues we had a broken dishwasher door, broken freezer, broken toilet roll and towel rails, heavily marked and stained carpets and furniture and walls, lamps missing off walls with exposed wires, outdoor picnic table collapsed due to rotten wood and luckily no-one was injured at the time. The houses were shabby and very neglected however, there was nothing that a good general handyman/decorator couldn't have remedied in a couple of hours.
    We've stayed in other self-catering accommodation in Ireland and this location was very very poor in comparison to other locations.

Hi Kosseegan; you are right about the name, apologies. But we are referring to the same houses it would appear and your experience is vastly diferent from ours, and others it would seem. Some of the houses are privately owned and rented. They are easily identified - cleaner, freshly painted, properly maintained. The units managed by West Coast Holidays in our experience are a bad deal. We also visited more than just our rented unit as we met a two other couples. Similar experiences for them also during this month.

I have always stayed in the Seaview section and never had a problem. I have stayed in at least 4 different houses there for a week at a time.

Have you told the company in question you are posting here to give them a right of reply?
    Yes, we told the management company verbally while on site, directly to both their agent and head office by phone during our rental time. We also left 4 voicemail messages and two letters outlining our experience and asking that they simply acknowledge the feedback and commit for other holiday tourists that they remedy. No reply to a single communication. That is why I resorted to boards.ie. They were given every chance to discuss and commit to resolution but they plain ignored...

For balance, I am pleased to note that today we got a letter of apology, a commitment to a site inspection and a gesture of good will from West Coast Holidays. Not sure if this was because when the firm failed to address our complaint, we then wrote to Supervalu who use this firm for their special offers breaks but whether or not; at least the firm has replied, apologised and committed to follow-up. Its up to them now. If they deliver, at least our efforts will benefit other holiday makers. If they do not address the issues, they have no excuse if they go under... Thanks everyone for engaging this thread.

Advertisement