Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Caliper

• 23-04-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Sticking on the new set of "HH" pads today, was inserting the slider pins back into the brake caliper when finished and was tightening them up and SNAP the piece that holds the pin in (the circle with the threads) snapped in half. :mad::mad::mad:
    What the **** are parts made of these days ffs :confused:

I was not using excessive force (learned that the hard way already) it was just about hand tight and I was giving it a quarter turn more.....

Will have to ring the usual suspects tomorrow to get the bike sorted for Cookstown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Its always when you least need something to go wrong that it will :rolleyes:

Hopefully you have it sorted by the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

There made out of cast alloy and you're inserting a steel bolt.

A quarter turn beyond hand tight is a bit tight IMO. More like an eight turn should do it.

I always mark the bolts with a bit of mail varnish and check every week to see if they are holding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

A torque wrench is the best thing to use for bolts in cast parts. A little bit of thread lock will ensure it stays put and doesn't seize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Is the piece of the pin that snapped totally inside the threaded part? If its anyway sticking out the far side you might be able to get a pliers onto it. Post a pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The bolt did not brake the actual caliper broke around the pin...its the outer most bolt away from the forks. I did have threadlock on it aswell....hopefully I get sorted in cityspares or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A torque wrench is the best thing to use for bolts in cast parts.

You can still screw up with torque wrenches. Honda quote torque figures for oiled threads, Triumph for dry threads (but who in their right mind would put a brake caliper bolt in dry?) - stripped the head of the pad pin.
    Also when using a torque wrench at the bottom end of its range, it can be very hard to feel the click and they tend to be inaccurate at the low end anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Probably caused by road salt. Had the caliper lug on fork leg bottom snap off last year. Suppose its better these things happen in the shed than on the road. Still a right pain in the ass. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

ninja900 wrote: »
    You can still screw up with torque wrenches. Honda quote torque figures for oiled threads, Triumph for dry threads (but who in their right mind would put a brake caliper bolt in dry?) - stripped the head of the pad pin.
    Also when using a torque wrench at the bottom end of its range, it can be very hard to feel the click and they tend to be inaccurate at the low end anyway.

+1.

I see it time and time again where someone uses a half inch drive torque wrench to do up something to a low torque. You really need a decent quarter inch wrench (snap-on, teng etc).

In saying that I rarely use a torque wrench. After doing up thousands of bolts you get a feel for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

bad luck there... i hope you will get it sorted .. ;)

Well screwed for the minute as cityspares and the bikebreakers in Monaghan have no calipers salvaged......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

A few more breakers here for you http://www.bikeireland.ie/irishbreakers.htm

RosieJoe wrote: »
    A few more breakers here for you http://www.bikeireland.ie/irishbreakers.htm

Thanx Joe ;) I stumbled across the same link myself, I think I might have got sorted not too far from your neck of the woods, he is just checking for me now.
    Hopefully he will stay open late for me to nip over tonite, doubt it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Try paddy cosstello in tullamore 05793 49745
    he's sound and price's are good.

Will do....have sourced a 05 caliper so it should do the job. Gonna google it and hope its a match.......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ebay is pretty good for spares

and for checking compatibility, I often use - http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche - which has a reverse part lookup to see if a particular part is used throughout years, or on different bikes.

Thanx the heavens I got sorted, got an 08 caliper which did the job. In fact I got the left and the right caliper with the pads still in them and all the hoses attached for €80, big thanx to Lookbehindyou for collecting them for me...LEGEND ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭dorannoel

Good news u got sorted wonda-boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Lay off the spinach putting the new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thanx the heavens I got sorted, got an 08 caliper which did the job. In fact I got the left and the right caliper with the pads still in them and all the hoses attached for €80, big thanx to Lookbehindyou for collecting them for me...LEGEND ;)

That was a good price considering the lad near me wanted €50 for just 1

At least you will be sorted for Cookstown now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Happy days Gary!

Yep all set and ready for the off tomorrow to Cookstown....early start but sure its part of the craic.

Advertisement