Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for a holiday with a new baby?

Options
  • 23-04-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

We are planning our first holiday with the baby for a well deserved 'rest'!. We are trying to get away in late May before I have to go back to work. The baby will be about 8 months then. We are looking for something with little hassle and not too far away.

Looked at Alghero in Sardinia as it was somewhere we went before and liked, very near the airport as well. Currently looking at Lanzarote but nothing really appealing at this stage. Anyone got any specific recomendations of any destinations, apartment complexes etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

we went to the canaries with the young fella when he was a baby. The flight is over 4 hours. That's a very long time with a kid if they are not enjoying it. Cause they scream. We've limited ourselves to shorter flights till the kids are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

We went to Algarve with our little ones we picked Vilamoura. It's a lovely resort lovely Marina and beaches and lots of lovely restaurants and they are all very child friendly. The beauty of Algarve is only a 2 and half hour flight and then the resorts are pretty close to airport in memory Vilamoura was only 20 minutes which is another consideration with small babies. Weather would be just nice in May too not overly hot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We've been to the Canaries twice, to apartment hotels. We booked through travel agents so we'd have back up if anything went wrong, collected at the airport, rep on site for any issues etc. I'd recommend going to a proper travel agent, they've the right knowledge for the age/budget side of things.

Travel wise the flights were fine. About four hours each time. We fed baby at take off and landing and she slept a good part of the flights. We were lucky as we went off peak and ended up with three seats to ourselves - great for baby taking naps and having a bit more room.

We got all in one UV swimsuits, great for alleviating the worry of sunburn, and tested the suncream on her before we left to make sure there were no allergies. Bring nappies with you-the Spanish ones are expensive and not great. I was BF so no worrying about bottles but your best bet is the Milton tablets if you're bottle feeding.

We got a cheap stroller for traveling but I'd bring a proper buggy if we were doing it again as baby had most of her naps in the stroller and the buggy is more comfortable and roomy for her - she didn't seem to mind but I felt bad for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sunset Beach Apartments in Benalmadena would get my recommendation. Fly into Malaga (just a 2 hour flight) and about 15 mins from the airport. If you check out their website you will see the standard of the place is very high and to say the apartments are well equipped is an understatement. Small shop for bread etc in the complex and fantastic supermarket with everything you require across the road. Have stayed there many times and it is truly a family friendly place.

Advertisement