Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home broadband for a deaf user

• 23-04-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I currently have a dongle for my laptop but I am looking into get broadband for my apartment which would be handy for visitors staying etc and I could use it on my mobile when I am at home too so it would reduce my mobile costs.

Most providers seem to offer packages of broadband and x amount of minutes of calls. The calls really would go to waste as I'm deaf so I'm looking for a broadband only option.
    I'm not sure if you would have to pay line rental on top of the broadband costs? I have a wall jack for a landland but it is not connected so it would be fairly basic to activate a phone line.

I pay just over 20 a month for my dongle so I don't want to go over 35 for home broadband. If that included some call time that would be good too as I'm sure visitors would make use of the phone :-)

I have looked on bonkers etc to get information...........there are a few good deals with the likes of Magnet etc but a bit of advice/firsthand information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

If you have good speeds/ coverage on your dongle, you could look into upgrading it to a MiFi? I think you can connect up to 5 or more devices to it, so should cover all your needs. No need for a landline. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chik19

Thanks for the mifi advice............I had never actually heard of it before.........sounds like a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do you have UPC in your apartment block? They offer broadband without the monthly line rental fee.

Advertisement