Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the ultimate scanner/reciever

Options
  • 23-04-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which features you find most useful on a scanner,so many models to choose from with so many features makes it hard to chose the best.
    my favourite is unidens close call rf capture but would ike it to cover more bands and display any ctcss codes or other codes.
    what your favourite feature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soerenswl

try this :)

http://www.funcubedongle.com/

i was looking for a "real" scanner for quite some time but never found sth what was good enough for me.

had a yaesu vr-5000 few years ago, was not happy and sold it, bought some ham-radios cheaper shortwave models yaesu ft817, 8900 sth but the displays were all sooooo small and not really user friendly.

AOR receivers are too expensive to "test" at home, the model i would want to try is the AR 50001D or the blackbox version AR2300 of it. but costs too much.

icom r9500 would be a dream but the price increased from 10k last year to 13k this year probably because of the stronger YEN (?) - i´m not saying i would have bought it for this price but the increase in price is...

nevermind, look on youtube for the models you want to check out, many helpful videos there.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

i agree with prices being too high,surely with modern production methods the prices should be lower as in other electronics.
    the best on i had was the mvt7100 for ease of use but a bit dated now,would love to see an updated model of this,loads to chose from but a scanner that has all the modern features seems to be elusive wide coverage/all mode/ctcss/dual watch which can be set to hear both sides of duplex without changing from a to b/ close call/digital capability for cell and tetra/tone eliminator for those constant tones with voice/easy memory bank selection/loads of other useful features, that would be my ultimate scanner.
    most seem to offer some features but lack in others.
    i have had the alinco djx2000 great but memory band selection a nightmare,icom rc20 same problem,others have gaps.
    the hunt is still on for the ultimate that won't break the bank....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Niche market.

Also there is no "ultimate" Scanner as there are so many diverse bands and interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

My old Aor AR2800 0 - 1200mhz built in vfo plenty of memory about the size of a car radio and there was internal batteries so it could be used portable. they are rare but if you see one get it you could pull in anything with this litte baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have an AOR 8200 that goes from .15Mhz to 3000Mhz (Only skip is the old mobile phone band (Which i dont know why they dont UNBLOCK NOW seeing there is no ANALOGUE traffic there anymore))

• Advertisement
Advertisement