Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to the Gaeltacht/Experiences!

• 23-04-2013 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Im going to the Gaeltacht in June and dont have a clue what its going to be like, what i bring?

Will they revise poetry and stuff??? Im in 2nd Year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm going next summer, i'm as excited as you are. I've heard you basically do classes there, like learn more irish. You're only allowed to speak Irish, if you speak English, you get warned and then get kicked out. I've heard it's great fun for those who want to improve. I suppose you should bring some pens and maybe a copy, and spare clothes. I dunno, never went there. I remember reading earlier on, that 70% of those who went there got a B or higher in Higher level Irish for leaving cert! That's amazing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 iloveirish

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Which Gaeltacht are you going to? :)

I went to Coláiste Ó Direáin on Inis Mór for 4 years and I really, really loved it there <3 I'm going to miss it so much this year, I made some friends who are like my siblings and we still meet up regularly. Make the effort to speak Irish and you'll find a vast improvement in your fluency by the end of it, and have so much fun. If you're only in second year they mightn't revise poetry and stuff, they might just leave it at letting you write some paragraphs on various topics, diaries, bit of grammar, maybe, for the classes. Don't worry about the classes, it's the sport and céilís and activities that are mad craic, and the free time in your house with everybody else! The very best of luck to you, I hope you enjoy the Gaeltacht as much as I did! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I've been going to the gaeltacht since I was in 4th class i.e 10 years old (seemed awful at the time but I'm really glad they did, I got a B in my mock on a really hard paper and I'm hoping to get an A in the actual Junior Cert. Bring normal warm and sunny day clothes, if you're next to a beach bring your swimming gear, dresses for the discos, runners and sandals, funky clothes for themed ceilís. You just do general conversation in classes, write out bits and pieces but the gaeltacht I went/go to is ridiculously strict one sentence of English and you're out
    I went to Spleodar Ros Muc, Corr na Mona and Leitír Mór going back to Leitír Mór this year again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PuppyLover123

I'm going to the Gaeltacht this summer and I'm so exited! Do you have any idea of what you need to bring?

• Advertisement
Advertisement