Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying laptop

Options
  • 23-04-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭

Im not the biggest expert on laptops or PC's, and im pretty sure my laptop is going to reach its end soon, but just looking to see what people can come up with for me, out of curiosity.

I have an Asus N61VG series laptop. About 3 years old now.
    In the past few months a few problems have been creeping up.

First, runs very high temp when playing games. Used to run around 70-80 but now goes up to about 105 sometimes with the same games.

Whenever I plug in a USB device (different sizes, 2gb USB powered up to 1,5TB external power) the laptop goes very slow, and this tik-tik-tik sound starts on the front right of the laptop, like a fan thats not running as it should. USB device fails to open, laptop eventually freezes and have to reboot.

Card reader doesnt work anymore.

Used to be able to watch stuff on the TV using laptop with HD cable, now it wont work anymore.

An unrelated problem is the screen going white or white lines across, unless its tilted all the way open or nearly closed so you cant see much.

My USB mouse still works, and also USB printer works fine.

It is annoying, because the only way to get something from my laptop onto a USB is to copy onto an older laptop using wireless network, which takes ages.

Im thinking motherboard?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Jacovs wrote: »
    Im not the biggest expert on laptops or PC's, and im pretty sure my laptop is going to reach its end soon, but just looking to see what people can come up with for me, out of curiosity.

I have an Asus N61VG series laptop. About 3 years old now.
    In the past few months a few problems have been creeping up.

First, runs very high temp when playing games. Used to run around 70-80 but now goes up to about 105 sometimes with the same games.

Whenever I plug in a USB device (different sizes, 2gb USB powered up to 1,5TB external power) the laptop goes very slow, and this tik-tik-tik sound starts on the front right of the laptop, like a fan thats not running as it should. USB device fails to open, laptop eventually freezes and have to reboot.

Card reader doesnt work anymore.

Used to be able to watch stuff on the TV using laptop with HD cable, now it wont work anymore.

An unrelated problem is the screen going white or white lines across, unless its tilted all the way open or nearly closed so you cant see much.

My USB mouse still works, and also USB printer works fine.

It is annoying, because the only way to get something from my laptop onto a USB is to copy onto an older laptop using wireless network, which takes ages.

Im thinking motherboard?

The fan could be clogged up with dust. Buy a can of compressed air and blast the fan vents on the laptop, sounds like you'll need to crack it open and do a proper clean up though.
    The white lines issue could be a dodgy display panel or ribbon cable, if you open the machine up re-insert the cable to both the motherboard/screen and make sure the hinges arn't catching it.
    Regarding the card reader it could be the drivers were removed accidentally. You can get the drivers here.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Note cleaning an Asus sometime involves taking off the cover underneath as the cooling fan air intake is not always directly under the fan. Check some youtube videos on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Thanks for the advice. Im not sure if id be better off waiting till I get a new laptop/PC then cleaning this one, incase I f it up. But then again if I clean it and it works properly then wont need a new laptop/PC for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sounds like a fresh install of windows would help too.

Sounds like a fresh install of windows would help too.
    Considering I bought the laptop with a partitioned HDD, windows being on one part and the other part having games and such, this should be pretty easy right?
    How exactly do I go about reinstalling windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Jacovs wrote: »
    Considering I bought the laptop with a partitioned HDD, windows being on one part and the other part having games and such, this should be pretty easy right?
    How exactly do I go about reinstalling windows?

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=N61Vg&s=217&hashedid=96cclNAICc3JFvbP&os=&no=1775

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can buy a sdcard usb reader 2 euro, dealz, or 2 euro shop,2 euro
    sdcards 16gig, 18euro approx,in maplins,
    Could be used to transfer data from laptop to pc .

riclad wrote: »
    You can buy a sdcard usb reader 2 euro, dealz, or 2 euro shop,2 euro
    sdcards 16gig, 18euro approx,in maplins,
    Could be used to transfer data from laptop to pc .

Not sure if it would work since the USB's arent working too well with other data transfer. Not a lot of money though so might try it.

Going to try the cleaning and reinstalling windows and see how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MY laptop sdcard reader doesn,t work,, so i just got a 2 euro, usb,sdcardreader from dealz.
    its a handy thing to have ,even for using on a pc.
    maybe try it on a 2gig card, before you buy a 16gig card.

Yeah my gf has a few cards off her camera I could use, probably wont need to buy a new one, just the reader if the windows reinstall and driver reinstall doesnt work that others have suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement