Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem

• 23-04-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm curious, I currently have a Thompson modem which was supplied by UPC. I've had the Cisco EPC3925 in the past, as well. Am I able to purchase my own modem and have that set up, rather than using one supplied by UPC? I have a TP-Link WDR4300 that I can set up for routing functions with it.

Cheers,

DC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You won't be able to replace it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DublinC

Well that doesn't tell me much! I'm sure I would have to contact them and provide them information on the modem as I've observed the technicians doing so while here in the past.

DublinC wrote: »
    Well that doesn't tell me much! I'm sure I would have to contact them and provide them information on the modem as I've observed the technicians doing so while here in the past.

They won't allow residential customers to provision their own modems. It has to be a UPC-supplied device.

Alright, so if I can get my hands on a second-hand Cisco EPC3925 I should be able to switch between the two?

Alright, so if I can get my hands on a second-hand Cisco EPC3925 I should be able to switch between the two?

Depends on who you get on the other end. I've heard of them doing it, but I also read someone on here saying that they were asked where they got the modem from and to return it to UPC.

• Advertisement

My issue is I need to change my IP address, it was possible while using the Cisco modem and bridging to another would provide me with a new IP. However bridging isn't the same using the Thompson and I don't believe the functionality for it is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you can bridge, then you can lease new IPs at will, just change the routers(the one youre connecting to the thompson) MAC and it will lease a different IP.

ED E wrote: »
    If you can bridge, then you can lease new IPs at will, just change the routers(the one youre connecting to the thompson) MAC and it will lease a different IP.

Tried bridging using this guide: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

IP however didn't change. Bridging with the EPC3925 was relatively easy compared to what's proposed above.

Tried bridging using this guide: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

IP however didn't change. Bridging with the EPC3925 was relatively easy compared to what's proposed above.

Yeah that's not true bridging, it just forwards all packets to the second router. I don't think you can do true bridge mode on a Thomson.

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah that's not true bridging, it just forwards all packets to the second router. I don't think you can do true bridge mode on a Thomson.

Any possible suggestions there before I snoop around for a Cisco somewhere, despite the bad news you reported above? If they ask for it back I could just give them the Thompson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh, its a DMZ(I wrote a similar guide for the EPC when it was on older firmware), yeah, thats not really bridging.

You need to get an EPC so. Try PMing the boards reps and asking them to swap your thompson for one. If you're nice they might just do it.

ED E wrote: »
    Oh, its a DMZ(I wrote a similar guide for the EPC when it was on older firmware), yeah, thats not really bridging.

You need to get an EPC so. Try PMing the boards reps and asking them to swap your thompson for one. If you're nice they might just do it.

Yeah, I did use your guide for the EPC when I had it! I suppose I'll have to give contacting them a go, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You can spoof a Mac address on the Thomson.
    I did it about 10 times in one day and got 10 different WAN IP addresses.

Advertisement