Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mam (aged 70) wants to try electronic cigarettes

Options
  • 23-04-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

My mam aged 70 wants to try Electronic Cigarettes and has asked me to get what she needs.

It has to be from a bricks and mortar as she doesn't trust this online stuff.

I've seen ad's in various newsagents and health shops but ss a non smoker I am totally clueless in what to get.

Mam is kind of old fashioned, doesn't do computers and not great with phones. She's kind of mistrustful of new technologies.

She had read in the newspaper many times about E cigs but said that stuff is bad for you but today she read Simon Cowell had given up cigarettes and was using E cigs so she has decided if it's good enough for him it will be good enough for her.

Can someone advise whats best to get please, it has to be simple to use, be effective and be able to get the cartridges needed all from a bricks and mortar shop.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Where in the country does she live?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Meath or Dublin would be great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Sorry, only know a couple of b+m's in the west but someone here should be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi OP
    Call into your local Chemist/Pharmacy they should be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

You could try e-smokeireland who are in Palmerstown, send them an email with what you want and you can then go and collect, you can pay cash so its handy, you can probably do the same with vaprerus who are in meath if it's better for you. I've found both vendors helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Meath or Dublin would be great, thanks

There is the ovale shop on talbot st/gardiner st junction in Dublin. They're very helpful

Check out the website...
    www.ovaleireland.com

She might like to try one of the disposable ones available in most petrol stations. Although they're not great they'll give her an idea what it's about.

I'm pretty sure pharmacies have been told not to stock these.

Edit:

Just saw on www.vaperus.ie they do information and coffee mornings in Mullagh. Handy if you're north Meath at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 awatch

The only walk in store in Dublin that I know of is Ovale - 1st Floor, 70 Lower Gardener Street, Dublin 1. Alex is the guy who owns it, a very nice and helpful bloke. He is the person who got me set up when I quit the smokes last November. Their phone number is on their website which is www.ovaleireland.com I believe he has a new shop opening in the same premises within the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much does she smoke a day? If she's the pack-a-day type, the ones in the chemists are usually not that strong, and will put her off them. Also, if she is pack-a-day, get her on the 18mg or 24mg strenfth starting off, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Thanks very much for all the advice, she buys her cigarettes by the week, she usually buys 240 superking type cigarettes.

I'll have a look at the places mentioned and see if I can find something suitable for her.

Thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My geography is a bit useless, but can recommend Vaperus - they're at VAPERUS, MULLAGH CO CAVAN IRELAND,TEL: +353 (0) 46 924 2123 -INFO@VAPERUS.IE I've had great communication and service from them - and, as mentioned above, they do coffee mornings (brilliant idea!) on Tues, Weds and Thurs. Just wish I was close enough to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Thanks very much for all the advice, she buys her cigarettes by the week, she usually buys 240 superking type cigarettes.

I'll have a look at the places mentioned and see if I can find something suitable for her.

Thanks again everyone!

Based on that I'd go for high strength (18mg-20mg) liquids. Starting off I'd say get a selection of tobacco, vanilla and menthol to try just to see what she likes.

I'd guess she doesn't want something too big either. The cigalikes such as Jasper and Jasper don't have the battery performance of the bigger mods but they can be easy to use http://www.ezsmoke.ie/jasper-jasper-c-59.html

I'm based in the Kilmessan/Dunshaughlin area. If she wants to try it out I'd be happy to show her a few things (I'm not a vendor - just an enthusiast lol!)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I agree with the 18-20mg recommendation, cos Superkings were my stinkies of choice when I was smoking, and that's where I began. After almost 2 months am down to around 12mg - mainly cos I was getting a headache with the 20mg - I enjoy vaping so much that I do too much of it to stay at 18mg! Best of luck to your Mum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

dubtom wrote: »
    You could try e-smokeireland who are in Palmerstown, send them an email with what you want and you can then go and collect, you can pay cash so its handy, you can probably do the same with vaprerus who are in meath if it's better for you. I've found both vendors helpful.

I would second this, don't get something from a chemist unless you want her to pack it in after a few days, the standard is rubbish. Have called in to the house at esmoke Ireland and have also dealt with vapeus, both have been very good to deal with

Advertisement