Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed GU10 to E27 using ebay adapter

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

tandcapply wrote: »

Why didnt you just buy 3 Philips Master 4w or 7w Dimmable GU10 downlights???

Those CFL bubs are 20w each,so 3 of them is 60w.

Compare that to 12w or 21w with the 3 Philips Master LEDs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not sure about those adapters,

the data on the lamp you have bought indicates that it is 60 Lm/W, so at 20 Watts this would be 1200Lm per lamp, that is a decent amount of light to be honest.

if we take the Philips 4Watt master LED or the 6Watt we can get in the case of the 4 Watt 45 Lm/W and in the best case of the 6 Watt 54 Lm/W

http://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/pwc_li/gb_en/connect/tools_literature/MASTER_LEDlamps2013.pdf

So taking the capital costs or the lamps replacement costs out of the equation, the CFL lamp you have will be "brighter" than the LED options and its will produce more "light" (lumens) per watt.

However I don't think anyone here would recommend the adapters, I bought colour changing LEDS from ebay once, although they were GU10 sockets, I found it very difficult to get them out of the lamp holders when i wanted to remove them.

As paddy says you will save on running costs using the LEDs

The smaller LEDS will not be as "bright" in fact if you want as much "light" as possible what you have is a decent option.

They is not a whole lot of difference between 60 Lm/W and 54 Lm/W but when you are talking about 20 Watts compared to 6 Watts there will be a big noticeable difference between the two lamps, even the 7 and 8 Watt Philips LEDS produce at best 56Lm/W and they are longer than the 4 or 6 watt lamps, but still look better than a curley CFL in an adapter IMO.

I have a fitting in my living room with 3 number 9 Watt CFLs like the lamp you bought, in 6 years I've changed one of them and they heat up very quickly, quick enough for it not to be an issue, the curly CFLS are a decent lamp IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭tandcapply

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm not sure about those adapters,

I have a fitting in my living room with 3 number 9 Watt CFLs like the lamp you bought, in 6 years I've changed one of them and they heat up very quickly, quick enough for it not to be an issue, the curly CFLS are a decent lamp IMHO.

First of all thank you both for the replies.
    What 9W cfls did you get?
    The original 3 x 50w left a few dark patches and the new CFLs give probably the best price (for cheaper than the Halogens).
    But, by what yous are writing I can get close enough in term of LUM per Watt with Leds, I`m just not sure about the angle of the beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if you are matching the lumens you should be ok, the narrow beam on LED is usually a technique used to direct all the lumens in one direction so that a certain concentration of light on an area is achieved.

the lamps Paddy recommended have a decent enough angle, but you'd want the 7 or 8Watt as advised if you want the 50 Watt match.

the mains halogen are a terrible lamps for leaving black marks alright,

the 9watt lamps i used were bought in Deals in Belfast, they were boxed incorrectly and we being sold off at 3 for £1.

I should have bought more, and eaten more at that buffet last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭tandcapply

Stoner wrote: »
    if you are matching the lumens you should be ok, the narrow beam on LED is usually a technique used to direct all the lumens in one direction so that a certain concentration of light on an area is achieved.

the lamps Paddy recommended have a decent enough angle, but you'd want the 7 or 8Watt as advised if you want the 50 Watt match.

the mains halogen are a terrible lamps for leaving black marks alright,

the 9watt lamps i used were bought in Deals in Belfast, they were boxed incorrectly and we being sold off at 3 for £1.

I should have bought more, and eaten more at that buffet last week.
    You probably should have.
    I`ll try and get one of those branded 8w (not the ebay crap that I had before), I don`t mind spend more on the led if I know that I get close to full coverage of the room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement