Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5 coverage problems

• 23-04-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'm on Vodafone and my experience is the reception is the same or better with my iPhone 5 than with my 4. I suspect a fault with the phone. I assume you're not using a cover/bumper on it (I often use an aluminium bumper case and it badly affects the wifi/3G reception).
    I've read (and experienced) an improvement in wifi reception after doing a reset (hold sleep+home button until phone restarts) but haven't heard/read it works for cellular reception (worth a try though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I went from iPhone 4 to 5 and found the signal better on the 5. Getting 3G in places where previously I only get edge

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Sounds like a faulty iphone 5. My rec improved when i went from a 4S to a 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Go directly to Apple, cut out the middle man. They are excellent and very quick with repairs.

• Advertisement

If under warranty I would always go through apple, bad stories about the repair places some providers use (some aren't even approved by apple). apple will sent you a new phone for a small fee and then you sent this one back or -if you don't want to pay anything- your phone will be collected, you wait a day or 2 for apple to investigate and a replacment will be sent to you. If your phone is unlocked you should get an unlocked one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mtierney5

Hi,

Just wondering if you had any joy with this? I changed from the 4s to the 5 about 3 weeks ago and similar to you my reception at home was never great but since I changed to the 5 my heart is broke. dropping calls constantly and struggling to keep one bar signal!!!

Iv googled iphone 5 reception problems and now its throwing up a lot of stuff.....

Seems to be a trend setting in????

Now when im in around the city etc its perfect but without a doubt my reception is way down at home since I changed.??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have been seeing the same behaviour on my 5. My house is in an area with good O2 coverage but it has poor 3G coverage so it is constantly flicking between one bar of 3G or 5 bars with Edge. In my opinion this is causing the phone to go to No Service very often. Wife has no problems with her O2 Blackberry so its clearly an iphone issue.

Agreed, I often have friends here with blackberries and galaxy s3's etc all on Vodafone and they have no problem either!

And my wife is on Vodafone and has a iphone 4s and standing side by side her reception is always a lot better!

• Advertisement

Ok just to update everyone so we have a conclusion!

Have been onto Apple and Vodafone in relation to the reception problems Im having. Turns out the iphone 5 has no 2g antenna. Only 3g and 4g. Where im living has bad 3g coverage so on the iphone 4s I was relying on the 2g network. Not that I have the iphone 5, and bad 3g coverage my reception is brutal!!!!

Vodafone tell me there updating the south west soon, in the next few months... To full 3g. Until them im goosed!!! Not impressed!!!!!

mtierney5 wrote: »
    Ok just to update everyone so we have a conclusion!

Have been onto Apple and Vodafone in relation to the reception problems Im having. Turns out the iphone 5 has no 2g antenna. Only 3g and 4g. Where im living has bad 3g coverage so on the iphone 4s I was relying on the 2g network. Not that I have the iphone 5, and bad 3g coverage my reception is brutal!!!!

Vodafone tell me there updating the south west soon, in the next few months... To full 3g. Until them im goosed!!! Not impressed!!!!!

Whoever told you the iPhone 5 has no EDGE antenna is talking pure bollox.

guil wrote: »
    Whoever told you the iPhone 5 has no EDGE antenna is talking pure bollox.

Both Vodafone and apple told me today that the iPhone 5 has no 2g antenna....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Are they suggesting the iPhone 5 can't use 2G data? Because that's clearly wrong. I was using it 10 mins ago.

brophs wrote: »
    Are they suggesting the iPhone 5 can't use 2G data? Because that's clearly wrong. I was using it 10 mins ago.

All I know is what I was told, it doesn't have a 2g antenna...

Sure they did.

Agree with others; iphone 5 definitely supports 2g, just google iPhone 5 network specs to find the answer. Also if it would not support 2G why can you switch off 3G in settings? Finally this would mean that if you have reception you always should have the 3G icon displayed next to the network name (not always the case on mine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Apple could be calling 2G, 3G. They've already taken liberty with the use of 4G. Seen an S4 with full bars 4G last week, one that came from the states, it was actually displaying 3's 3G as 4G, Those crazy american.

flyguy wrote: »
    Agree with others; iphone 5 definitely supports 2g, just google iPhone 5 network specs to find the answer. Also if it would not support 2G why can you switch off 3G in settings? Finally this would mean that if you have reception you always should have the 3G icon displayed next to the network name (not always the case on mine).

I understand all that, but it makes no sense then why I have such bad reception! It was perfect on the 4s??? Vodafone shop today said they have loads of complaints from people living in rural areas about the iphone 5. Just to be clear, I have little or no 3G coverage here. I had to get rid of my broadband dongle cos of it. So what they were telling me made sense to me! I know nothing technical about phones etc.... So what's the problem?? Because there is one. My wife is on Vodafone, she has the 4s and when someone rings now and the call is dropping and breaking up all the time I just tell them ring me on her phone. And it's perfect! So annoying!!!

• Advertisement

When you have s group of phones in the same place, some have better coverage than others, turn them all off and then turn on the 5 by itself, it's probably fine but not now when there's others around.

When you have s group of phones in the same place, some have better coverage than others, turn them all off and then turn on the 5 by itself, it's probably fine but not now when there's others around.

Ah no, it's only me and the wife. I spend hours here on my own and the phone is the same. I have it 4 weeks now and the difference in reception was instant when I changed to the 5.

Do you know anyone else with a 5 that could drop round just to prove it's not your phone, i've had them all 3,4,5 and I think the 5 is the best so far for reception.

Do you know anyone else with a 5 that could drop round just to prove it's not your phone, i've had them all 3,4,5 and I think the 5 is the best so far for reception.

Have to agree there, much better reception for me on the 5 compared to the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Becky4Clonmel

Glad to see someone else is having coverage problems with the iphone5. Live in the southwest also. Had an iPhone4 before this. Reception where I live was never great but now with the iphone5 it's brutal. Constantly searching for network or no signal. Drops calls regularly. Wife has iphone4 in the same house with no such issues. Very frustrating!

Glad to see someone else is having coverage problems with the iphone5. Live in the southwest also. Had an iPhone4 before this. Reception where I live was never great but now with the iphone5 it's brutal. Constantly searching for network or no signal. Drops calls regularly. Wife has iphone4 in the same house with no such issues. Very frustrating!

Thank god someone agrees with me!! Was starting to crack up! It's a nightmare at this stage. Can I ask, are u on Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Becky4Clonmel

Thank god someone agrees with me!! Was starting to crack up! It's a nightmare at this stage. Can I ask, are u on Vodafone?

Yep! Vodafone too! I find that anywhere that I had no 3G coverage before with the iPhone 4, I have little or no reception at all now with the iPhone 5.

Yep! Vodafone too! I find that anywhere that I had no 3G coverage before with the iPhone 4, I have little or no reception at all now with the iPhone 5.

Exactly!!! I just sat outside on top of my front pier trying to have a conversation, and I ended up hanging up! On the 4s I could sit inside the kitchen and no problem! But what now????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Hmm read this with interest as I have a similiar problem since switching from 4s to 5, but I'm on O2 with their 3G mast on the hill opposite me.

Always on E (edge) until I climb up onto the roof and the extra 15 feet gives me 3G!

That's not the issue though, mine is the wifi, not picking it up in certain places around the house like I used to with the 4s, keeps dropping wifi regularly even though I'm 10 ft away from the box! And I got the wife a 4s when I upgraded and she has much better coverage with the wifi!

It's def a 5 issue, btw when I'm in an urban area with much stronger signal hitting it there are no problems!

Been meaning to contact apple must do so......

• Advertisement

Migworks wrote: »
    Hmm read this with interest as I have a similiar problem since switching from 4s to 5, but I'm on O2 with their 3G mast on the hill opposite me.

Always on E (edge) until I climb up onto the roof and the extra 15 feet gives me 3G!

That's not the issue though, mine is the wifi, not picking it up in certain places around the house like I used to with the 4s, keeps dropping wifi regularly even though I'm 10 ft away from the box! And I got the wife a 4s when I upgraded and she has much better coverage with the wifi!

It's def a 5 issue, btw when I'm in an urban area with much stronger signal hitting it there are no problems!

Been meaning to contact apple must do so......

I haven't even mentioned the wifi yet, but yes, my wifi drops regularly too around the house! It never dropped on the 4s...

Iv been onto apple loads of times, tried restoring the phone, they made me get a new SIM card in case it was faulty etc. all no good! I'm sending it back now but I'm not hopefull! Iv since been in touch with one man who has the same problem and 3 times he has sent the phone back to apple. Every time they send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it!

I'm starting to think is it just a poor quality antenna in the phone or something like that! I'm at my wits end at this stage with it!

Advertisement