Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking/ finance / accounting jobs in oz

Options
  • 23-04-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there, I'm working in an irish bank at the minute as a credit analyst! My contract is up in 6 months and I intend on goin to oz! Are there any decent banking jobs in Australia? What's the best city to search for professional jobs? What kind of salary can I expect working in a Bank? Are banking systems similar in Australia? Basically I would love to experience Australia but I do not want to take s step backwards in my career? All advice welcomed?!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

You have to be an Australian resident to work directly for a bank. However, you can get in through recruitment agents which is near impossible for them to get you an interview unless you have some credible contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I work for a large bank and they won't touch anyone who isn't a permanent resident, no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Da Bomb!

I didn't realise it was that strict! I am part qualified in qfa (4/6 exams) and also part aca (3P Paper left).. I have 2 years experience in banking in particular debt restructure! What type of finance jobs would be suitable for? Can anybody recommend any roles/areas/companies? Sorry for all the questions, I have looked through many posts already but found very little on banking or finance! Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

My girlfriend arrives on a WHV June 1st. Was hoping she'd find work easily in these areas. She's in a similar situation to you Da Bomb.. Worried she will struggle now...

But she'll take office work either... She's not too fussed which is great.

Would being defacto on my 457 make a difference? She'd have the freedom of a PR just would be bound by my visa...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Yeah de-facto on a 457 is much better than WHV. My boyfriend got a job normally reserved for permanent residents through this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yes you should definitely put her de facto on your visa. All she might get otherwise on the whv is a short term contract role. Audit is the only way you might get sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭browne_rob5

Da Bomb! wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was that strict! I am part qualified in qfa (4/6 exams) and also part aca (3P Paper left).. I have 2 years experience in banking in particular debt restructure! What type of finance jobs would be suitable for? Can anybody recommend any roles/areas/companies? Sorry for all the questions, I have looked through many posts already but found very little on banking or finance! Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Once you finish your aca exams you could apply for pr through the skilled migration visa. Then you should get a role. Check seek.com.au to see if there are roles going on your particular field.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Da Bomb!

Thanks for all your comments folks! If anybody who is in a similar situation to myself has any experience of getting employed in a decent finance job! It'd be great to hear how you did it? Otherwise I don't think I'm be travelling for another 2 years, until passing exams! Many thanks in advance!

Advertisement