Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworking ???????

Options
  • 23-04-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

is there a woodworking term for a veneer knife ?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

Well this is everything I've ever cut veneer with

Scalpel
    cabinetmakers marking knife
    stanley utility knife
    and a Hydraulic guillotine (big thing, expensive too)

here's a Youtube video hopefully of some use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIkiA1cRA8&list=UUL0zd3eH-OPBb24QX0-5VLA&index=2

Cheers
    FC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

raymk111 wrote: »
    is there a woodworking term for a veneer knife ?:confused:

;) Not really. You can buy a dedicated Radzi veneer cutter to keep a straight edge against a ruler or even better, a 50 tpi veneer saw.
    Most people would use a stanley blade but one tip is to angle it to 45 degrees and cut two veneers simultaneously. That way the edges are bevelled and hide any gaps very well.You can also buy marking knives ( for marking out joints ) which are bevelled on one side only and some people advocate using them instead but they need to be kept sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I find a Japanese marking knife good for that job they take and hold a good edge, if your left handed like me you may have to grind a second bevel on it

I find a Japanese marking knife good for that job they take and hold a good edge, if your left handed like me you may have to grind a second bevel on it

;) Fair enough. Marking knives usually come as a a pair with left and right bevels. Know a good outlet for Japanese tools in the ROI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Fair enough. Marking knives usually come as a a pair with left and right bevels. Know a good outlet for Japanese tools in the ROI ?

The Carpentry Store in Naas stock a lot of items that Brimarc list in their catalogue. I'm sure they could order in whatever you need from them. I think i have a spare 2013 tool catalogue if you want to check.

woodturner wrote: »
    The Carpentry Store in Naas stock a lot of items that Brimarc list in their catalogue. I'm sure they could order in whatever you need from them. I think i have a spare 2013 tool catalogue if you want to check.

Thanks,
    while I like to support the home team I find mail order cheaper and easier. We have VAT at 23% and the Government wonder why consumer demand is flat !?

Advertisement