Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy training

• 24-04-2013 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Our Shih tzu is 4 going on 5 months old. We have been trying everything to house train her. The newspapers are down all the time but only half of the time (if even) does she use them. Also she drinks her urine and eats her poo if we don't get to her on time. It seems that she doesn't care if its near her bed either when most advice on the internet says she wont go near her food or bed.
    We're just looking for advice on what we should do because we are trying to praise her when she goes in the right place and punish her when she doesn't.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Xyo wrote: »
    Our Shih tzu is 4 going on 5 months old. We have been trying everything to house train her. The newspapers are down all the time but only half of the time (if even) does she use them. Also she drinks her urine and eats her poo if we don't get to her on time. It seems that she doesn't care if its near her bed either when most advice on the internet says she wont go near her food or bed.
    We're just looking for advice on what we should do because we are trying to praise her when she goes in the right place and punish her when she doesn't.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

Ive a 16 week old cocker who has never pooped in house and only had 2 accidental pees, however be prepared for some hard work..first off youve got to remember that your not trying to stop your pup from toiletting in the house your trying to encourage the pup to toilet outside..its a different mindset if you get me..

I began by only allowing the pup the run off the kitchen and utility room, he didnt get access to any other part of the house, myself or my wife and daughter would constantly have him under our eye..we started off using the half hour rule..the pup was taken out the same door each time and taken to a toilet spot in our garden, when the pup did his business we all encouraged him by saying "good boy" a few times..keep his feeding to the
    exact same times every day and you will discover that you will be able to forecast his pooping times quite accurately and will only have to let him out for peeing breaks in between..dont drop your guard and keep to the same routine..its a real pain at first but over time it gets easier.

the three main times are after sleeping, playing, and eating with half hour trips out inbetween..my pup is now up to around 2 hours then when he wants out he walks to the door and will yelp to get out.

If your having trouble with the pup eating its poop it may be cleaning its den..so use regular feeding times and pre empt his toilet habit..then clean up straight away and simply dont allow him the chance..if you can stop him getting at it , the habit should stop..lastly dont punish the pup..if the pup has had a chance to go to the toilet inside then due diligence isnt being observed on your part and you are only serving to confuse / punish an animal that doesnt know what its getting it for...the few times my pup peed was my fault..lastly , its hard work and if you can rally the help from other members of the household you should soon crack it..best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I too have a Shih Tzu. From what I've read, they're not the easiest to house train. But I managed to get mine dry within two weeks. I found that paper and sprays were useless. You need to get the puppy used to going outside from the get go, IMO.

What you have to do is watch for the triggers. When she wakes up, plays, gets excited, eats. Take her outside. Stay with her until she does her business. When she does, get excited, praise her lots. When she does a wee, say 'Wee wee' and give her lots of praise. Same with No. 2's. Use whatever words you like, but be consistent.

She's bound to have an accident or two until she gets the idea. NEVER tell her off. Just clean it up without comment. What are you using to clean up? I used to use a little biological soap to clean as that gets rid of the smell and discourages her from going in the same spot.

Your pup's only 5 months old. Therefore the bladder and bowel are going to be pretty small. You need to be prepared to take her out a couple of times in the night too until she's older. Are you doing that?

Some people recommend crate training. Mine does have a crate (that he no longer sleeps in -lol), but that was never used for toilet training. He was trained to sleep in it at night and for a 'quiet corner' if he didn't want to be disturbed.

Finally - what are you feeding the dog? Eating poop can be a sign of mineral deficiency NOT cleaning her den as the last poster stated.

Advertisement