Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best puppy food for bichon frise

• 24-04-2013 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering what people think is the best dog food for a bichon I currently have him on eukanuba but I hear royal canin or hills science is better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

To be honest they wouldn't be better, but whatever you can afford really would be best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't have an opinion on Hills as I've never used it. But RC doesn't agree with a lot of dogs including my own. I'd steer clear. I feed mine Burns.

If your dog's happy on Eukanuba, then I'd keep her on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As above if she's happy on it leave her on it.

At best hills and RC are midrange foods on a premium budget. There is far better foods for that money and a lot that are even less.

Vets often push hills or RC because that's what they usually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Thing is the dog is now taken longer to eat the eukanuba lately. Can someone tell what the better brands are please? Thanks to everyone whose replied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When you say taking longer, why is it an issue if its taking longer? Its better than the pup doesnt rush its meal anyway. Is he finishing his meal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Raw (as in raw feeding), Burnes, Acana, Applaws, Orijen, Taste of the Wild

andreac wrote: »
    When you say taking longer, why is it an issue if its taking longer? Its better than the pup doesnt rush its meal anyway. Is he finishing his meal?

Good point. He used to eat it all in one go now its taking about half an hour he gets hyper and starts playing think he forgets about it lol

Ah well once hes eating it then i wouldnt see a problem. I would take it up after 15 mins or so and dont leave the food down all the time. He will soon learn that he needs to eat up or it gets taken away. But give him about 15/20 mins to eat it first.

Try not interact with him during his meal and have no distractions and feed at set times so he gets into a routine.

Orijen and Taste of the Wild might be too high in protein for a small dog. I think Burns is the way to go. That's what I feed my Shih Tzu. And yes - His Highness insists we leave the room when he's eating. My cat was the same too! :D

Forgot to mention: James Wellbeloved is good too.

• Advertisement

Orijen and Taste of the Wild might be too high in protein for a small dog. I think Burns is the way to go. That's what I feed my Shih Tzu. And yes - His Highness insists we leave the room when he's eating. My cat was the same too! :D

Thanks I've now read up on burns and I'm going to give that a go! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The two foods I would recommend are either James Wellbeloved or Burns - both are good quality, would be cheaper than the food you are feeding at the moment and very suitable for a small breed dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

my bichon eats anything and everything lol , but i recently had a lady in , in the shop i work at talking about a food called , "barking heads " , she said it was great

The two foods I would recommend are either James Wellbeloved or Burns - both are good quality, would be cheaper than the food you are feeding at the moment and very suitable for a small breed dog.

I started him on the burns today introducing it slowly so I'm happy with that I've read so many good reviews on burns over eukanuba online

antocann wrote: »
    my bichon eats anything and everything lol , but i recently had a lady in , in the shop i work at talking about a food called , "barking heads " , she said it was great

Never heard anything about them just looked them looks good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

smyths wrote: »
    Never heard anything about them just looked them looks good also.

I use Barking Heads for my two small dogs. They are doing well on it. I don't really rate Burns anymore. I used it for years.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I use Barking Heads for my two small dogs. They are doing well on it. I don't really rate Burns anymore. I used it for years.

Why don't you rate burns anymore? :/

Well its a good enough food but massively overpriced for what is (or was the last time I checked) 65% rice. Makes no sense to me.

I think there are better foods out there for my money but again thats just my opinion.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Well its a good enough food but massively overpriced for what is (or was the last time I checked) 65% rice. Makes no sense to me.

I think there are better foods out there for my money but again thats just my opinion.

I wish someone could just tell me the best dog food for my bichon pup. I'm back to square one again :(

I wish someone could just tell me the best dog food for my bichon pup. I'm back to square one again :(

There is no one best food. There are lots of suggestions given to you so it's trial and error to see what one suits. Why not try one of the ones suggested and see how you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have you spoken with the breeder that you got your pup from? What do they feed? If they are a good breeder they should be more than happy to chat to you about any issues, and give advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Are you using Burns original? Chicken 20%. Protein 18.5 Oil & Fats 7.5.

Most of Burns products are low protein and sometimes this suits dogs better.

Barking Heads TLC does look good but on this site:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/2331

they say during cooking moisture is removed from the fresh chicken and you are left with around 30% chicken in total (rather than 50%). Protein 24% Fat 17%.

Burns told me before if my dog was underweight to use their Burns Puppy Chicken & Rice product. This also has 30% chicken. Protein 24% Oil & Fats 12%.

Barking Heads has extra ingredients - trout oil, joint care, etc. but I think Burns Puppy Chicken & Rice is comparable. (Less oils/fats if that makes any difference.) Same size bag & price online.

Off topic a bit, I have been using Burns for 4 years now. My eldest dog has lost some weight recently. I didn't pay much heed as sometimes that happens with Burns. Came across an article saying that low protein in older dogs can cause them to lose muscle mass and that higher protein is better. So I have just ordered a bag of Skinners Salmon & Rice to see if that would make a difference as it has higher protein/fat/oils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paultf wrote: »

they say during cooking moisture is removed from the fresh chicken and you are left with around 30% chicken in total (rather than 50%).

This is actually a 'trick of the trade' in pet food, as there is currently no legislation on this kind of labelling. I know most people on here recommend that the first ingredient should be meat, but it depends which company it is, some companies will put the meat as the first ingredient because it is before they have extracted the water from it (and obviously all meat has a high water content), and once that happens it would no longer be the biggest ingredient. So, just because the first ingredient in a food may be rice, it doesn't actually mean that it has less meat in it than one that has meat as the first ingredient, it depends if its already been dehydrated or not, some companies are more ethical about their labelling than others, and a lot of the forum users here I think would be surprised at who those companies are, judging by past comments. :)

There is no one best food. You could buy the most expensive and it wouldnt suit your dog, its trial and error. Buy a small bag of one of the foods recommended and see how you go.

The best in my opinion is raw but it can be harder to feed smaller dogs, my two yorkies anyway they would choke themselves.
    ISDW wrote: »
    This is actually a 'trick of the trade' in pet food, as there is currently no legislation on this kind of labelling.

Thats one thing I dont like with BH. They list boneless salmon and then dried salmon. I know there isnt 45% salmon in it but some people would be fooled by that.

ISDW wrote: »
    Have you spoken with the breeder that you got your pup from? What do they feed? If they are a good breeder they should be more than happy to chat to you about any issues, and give advice.

The breeder was feeding the pedigree puppy dry. I read its terrible so changed as soon as I got him.

paultf wrote: »
    Are you using Burns original? Chicken 20%. Protein 18.5 Oil & Fats 7.5.

Most of Burns products are low protein and sometimes this suits dogs better.

Barking Heads TLC does look good but on this site:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/2331

they say during cooking moisture is removed from the fresh chicken and you are left with around 30% chicken in total (rather than 50%). Protein 24% Fat 17%.

Burns told me before if my dog was underweight to use their Burns Puppy Chicken & Rice product. This also has 30% chicken. Protein 24% Oil & Fats 12%.

Barking Heads has extra ingredients - trout oil, joint care, etc. but I think Burns Puppy Chicken & Rice is comparable. (Less oils/fats if that makes any difference.) Same size bag & price online.

Off topic a bit, I have been using Burns for 4 years now. My eldest dog has lost some weight recently. I didn't pay much heed as sometimes that happens with Burns. Came across an article saying that low protein in older dogs can cause them to lose muscle mass and that higher protein is better. So I have just ordered a bag of Skinners Salmon & Rice to see if that would make a difference as it has higher protein/fat/oils.

I've started him on burns puppy still mixing it in slowly with the eukanuba

Yeah, it's awful stuff all right, so you were quite right to change it. Look - if the dog's happy on the Eukanuba/Burns then there's no reason to change it. As long as it's not Pedigree/Purina/Aldi/Lidl then it's fine. Really!! Don't get too hung up about it.

andreac wrote: »
    There is no one best food. There are lots of suggestions given to you so it's trial and error to see what one suits. Why not try one of the ones suggested and see how you get on?

I've started him on the burns puppy. Just want to be sure I'm giving him the best food I don't mind if its more expensive. I'm now thinking I should of gotten barking heads?

Why??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Why??

+1

I think you are OK too for the moment until you definitely decide.

Barking Heads is a good food but has been said above there is no guarantee it will suit your dog. With any new food you might try, there could be one ingredient that doesn't agree with your dog.

I mean one good thing you can say about Burns is that the ingredients are very simple which means it might suit more dogs. (Some foods have a huge list of ingredients and I would have to spend hours on google trying to figure out what they are. :))

Whichever one you go for (as above) get a small bag. Or alot of websites give free samples.

Deciding on the right food can be a minefield at times. Sometimes if you find one that suits stick with it as changing can be a nightmare.

Advertisement