Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on an Irish drivers license, while on a J1

Options
  • 24-04-2013 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Headed on the J1 Visa this coming June, to Orlando, FL - basically, I'm wondering if i can drive over there with my Irish drivers license for the 3 months ill be there for ?

I have heard that, as I'm on a Visa, that I can't drive without sitting the Florida State driving test?! ( not confirmed )

Also, ill obviously be looking to hire a car, I have looked at hertz, and they don't seem to have any information on the same topic, and what I would need to bring with me when hiring the car... So, I'm not entirely sure what to do in this case, as those who are familiar with Florida, know public transport sucks, so will need a car!

Looking for opinions or experiences, that's be super :)

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

**POST DELETED BY USER**

Hi "Templar Knight",

Thanks for the swift reply! :)

At first i thought i would be grand, as I'm only going for three months, but then i read in to it, and I'm getting mixed signals from people, on one hand i have a friend of mine (who is American!) telling me that, if i was on a visitors VISA or VWP i would be fine with my Irish drivers license, but as its a working VISA, i wouldn't be able to use it, the cops would give me a terrible time apparently, and then i hear of people going, and saying they were fine, and never stopped, so i'm not sure what to do.

It even says on the Florida DMV website, that non US citizens must apply for a Florida drivers license, and take a driving test :eek: - although it doesn't mention specifically about short stays etc.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Totally depends on the state- in mine (Arkansas) you can only drive on a foreign license for one month, then you need to get an in-state one. Does Florida DMV have an email address you can ask questions on?

silja wrote: »
    Totally depends on the state- in mine (Arkansas) you can only drive on a foreign license for one month, then you need to get an in-state one. Does Florida DMV have an email address you can ask questions on?

Cheers Silja,

Yeah, i was thinking there would be something like that, but it seems there is no clear answser for Florida DMV, and nothing along the lines of an email address, not that i can see anyway :(

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Just do the FL test. It's no big deal.

Without a driver's license, you don't really have a 'standard' ID. Sure, you can bring your passport with you everywhere. You could lose it though. Your Irish license is close to useless as an everyday ID - no one will know what it is. Plus, it doesn't look like it was issued by any official government body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

According to the Florida BMV website, you have to obtain a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a Florida resident.....normally you are not considered resident until you have been there for 6 months, but the exception is that you are considered a resident once you accept a job.

"You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
    Accept employment
    Register to Vote
    File for a homestead exemption
    Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months"

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Just do the FL test. It's no big deal.

Without a driver's license, you don't really have a 'standard' ID. Sure, you can bring your passport with you everywhere. You could lose it though. Your Irish license is close to useless as an everyday ID - no one will know what it is. Plus, it doesn't look like it was issued by any official government body.
    According to the Florida BMV website, you have to obtain a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a Florida resident.....normally you are not considered resident until you have been there for 6 months, but the exception is that you are considered a resident once you accept a job.

"You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

Enroll your children in a Florida public school
    Accept employment
    Register to Vote
    File for a homestead exemption
    Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months"

Thanks - yeah, looks like i might have to just take the test as you say, might as well i suppose, if it really is that easy.

Thanks - yeah, looks like i might have to just take the test as you say, might as well i suppose, if it really is that easy.

Then report back here to tell us what a joke it is. US driver's tests tend to be VERY easy.

I only had to do a partial (GA) test, as my full Irish license was considered some kind of proof that I was already competent (I really wasn't). The 'partial' bit was an exceptionally easy multi-choice test. The rules have changed here since '94. Now, everyone has to do a driving assessment.

Then report back here to tell us what a joke it is. US driver's tests tend to be VERY easy.

I only had to do a partial (GA) test, as my full Irish license was considered some kind of proof that I was already competent (I really wasn't). The 'partial' bit was an exceptionally easy multi-choice test. The rules have changed here since '94. Now, everyone has to do a driving assessment.

Cool, then i see no point in not doing it then, if it really is so easy, i shouldn't have a problem :)

Will report back.

When I did my test in Indiana a couple of years ago, I did the written and eye test and then walked to the parking lot with the instructor for the driving test. I chatted with him for a minute about how difficult the irish test is, and the high failure rate.....then he told me to lock the car and meet him inside for my license.

When I did my test in Indiana a couple of years ago, I did the written and eye test and then walked to the parking lot with the instructor for the driving test. I chatted with him for a minute about how difficult the irish test is, and the high failure rate.....then he told me to lock the car and meet him inside for my license.

:D So you didnt even take the test? haha

• Advertisement

:D So you didnt even take the test? haha

Nope, guess he figured after hearing about the irish test, and the fact that I had passed that on my first attempt, that he didn't need to see me driving.

The test at our local BMV is ridiculous anyway, it's a round trip around a couple of blocks, including 4 right turns, 1 set of traffic lights, a 4-way stop and a railway crossing.

Nope, guess he figured after hearing about the irish test, and the fact that I had passed that on my first attempt, that he didn't need to see me driving.

The test at our local BMV is ridiculous anyway, it's a round trip around a couple of blocks, including 4 right turns, 1 set of traffic lights, a 4-way stop and a railway crossing.

WOW - i'll make sure to let the instructor know im Irish, and also passed on my first attempt ;)

I remember my Irish test, i was sweating so bad i was that nervous, he knew it, and tested me on EVERYTHING on purpose...

Cant wait to go over now, and get it.

WOW - i'll make sure to let the instructor know im Irish, and also passed on my first attempt ;)

I remember my Irish test, i was sweating so bad i was that nervous, he knew it, and tested me on EVERYTHING on purpose...

Cant wait to go over now, and get it.

Keep in mind that they differ significantly from state to state. My GA info may be very different to what you encounter in FL. However, somehow I doubt FL will be tougher than, well just about any of the other 49 states.

You might find this useful: Drivers Handbook. Found it here.

Keep in mind that they differ significantly from state to state. My GA info may be very different to what you encounter in FL. However, somehow I doubt FL will be tougher than, well just about any of the other 49 states.

You might find this useful: Drivers Handbook. Found it here.

Ah yeah, of course, but i cant imagine it being any harder than the Irish one..

Cheers for the information :)

Advertisement