Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In the process of buying a house and going to get a structural survey done.
    I got some names and they all seem to be 350 + vat
    One guy is retired and will do it for 350 without vat
    My question is - does it matter if I take the cheaper guy in terms of insurance/standing over the report etc ?

Do they even stand over it if an issue arises that they missed ?
    Reading some threads on here suggest it is unregulated and all you are getting is an opinion and nothing that can be pursued if they get it wrong

Any info appreciated

thanks,
    alx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I can speak for the report on my house which includes a rather lengthy disclaimer that it is superficial in nature and therefore limited with regards commenting on certain structural elements.

Basically meaning that if they didn't pick up on anything it's not their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If he is retired he might not have insurance. Whoever you get, make sure they have professional insurance and membership of a professional body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

If he is retired he might not have insurance. Whoever you get, make sure they have professional insurance and membership of a professional body.

What difference does this make ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Insurance covers you and the surveyor and membership of a professional body ensures your surveyor/engineer is professionally competent. There is a good reason for disclaimers as the surveyor/engineer does not have permission to drill holes, exposé foundations or carry out CCTV surveys on these types of inspections. Unless of course the vendor gives permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Insurance covers you and the surveyor and membership of a professional body ensures your surveyor/engineer is professionally competent. There is a good reason for disclaimers as the surveyor/engineer does not have permission to drill holes, exposé foundations or carry out CCTV surveys on these types of inspections. Unless of course the vendor gives permission.

That's fair enough. I'm just wondering is it worth me paying an extra 70-80 euro when the disclaimers mean I'm not covered anyway in case it all goes pear-shaped.
    Assuming of course the guy I get is competent - which i have on good authority he is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the guy is retired, he may be below the threshold for registering for VAT. Providing he actually declares the income to Revenue, he could still be fully tax compliant. Just a point to make- as there is a presumption that the person is cooking the books if they're not charging VAT- which is not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You don't have to be retired not to be paying VAT. Many professions are now operating below the VAT treshold due to significant drop in income. If your not purchasing equipment for your business there would be no point in maintaining a VAT number until things picked up. OP just ensure you get an invoice/receipt with the report.

Advertisement