Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for Samsung Omnia7

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭

I think my two year old phone will need replacing soon. It won't update any more and I would like something with better sound quality in calls.

Good camera is important to me. I like windows phone but not wedded to it. The 920 is too big for my hands and very expensive. I will buy sim free.

Any suggestions? Any upcoming phones that might be worth waiting for? I live on the continent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you want to stick with Windows Phone, then the Lumia 720 might suit you. It has a very good low-light camera and an excellent battery. The only problem is that it's badly hamstrung by having a weedy processor and only 512MB of RAM which isn't enough to run many apps (Temple Run for example). If apps aren't important to you, then that will do you.

If apps are important to you, then you should consider the Google Nexus 4. Compare to the Lumia 720, it has 4 cores instead of 2, it has 2GB of RAM instead of 512MB of RAM. Also, the screen is gorgeous compared to the Lumia 720 (which has less pixels per inch). The only problem with the Nexus 4 for you might be the size, it is quite big.

The price of the two phones should be about the same (comparing the 8GB Nexus 4 to the Lumia 720) - so with that in mind, I'd recommend the Nexus 4 (if you can get over the size). Anyone who I know who has got a Nexus 4 has been delighted with in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks, I checked out the 720. Its not grabbing me that much. Maybe I just don't care enough about gadgets.

I want the camera in the 920, and the sound/call quality and Drive. But its too big and too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

820? Better spec than the 720, same processor and ram as the 920 just tiny bit smaller and lower quality camera.

All the high-end cameras are in large flagship phones, so if you want best in class imaging, then you're going to bite the bullet and get a larger phone. If you want a comparison of some of the leading flagship phones, dpreview have a decent article here. The Samsung Galaxy S4 seems to have vastly improved to take top spot, it's obviously a big phone, so probably won't suit you.

If you're coming from an Omnia though, then it's pretty much guaranteed that any phone you get will have better imaging.

All the high-end cameras are in large flagship phones, so if you want best in class imaging, then you're going to bite the bullet and get a larger phone.

iPhone 5 is about the same size as the omnia and has best in class imaging, no need for those gigantic phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm actually considering apple for the first time in my life. Dang, I just prefer Nokia and windows phone though.

Might have a gander in the phone shop and take a look.

I like WP8, but hate that all the phones are so big. The 820 is an ok size, the 920 is too big for me.

If you consider Apple remember the 4s is still a great phone with a fantastic camera.

TBi wrote: »
    I like WP8, but hate that all the phones are so big. The 820 is an ok size, the 920 is too big for me.

If you consider Apple remember the 4s is still a great phone with a fantastic camera.
    True - there's very little difference between the camera in the 4s and the 5.

So maybe that will suit best.

Advertisement