Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chart for deciding your next Fantasy/ Sci-Fi book

Options
  • 24-04-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey,

I came across this site on another forum that has a low chart of what your next sci-fi/fantasy book should be. Thought some of you might be interested.
    If you hover over the book it will give a description and clicking will bring you to amazon!

Enjoy :)

http://ompldr.org/vaTdkNQ/scifi_fantasy_guide.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KennethGregory

Help – just wrote a book that the publisher classes as Historical/ fantasy / mythology. Bit a shock – anyway it’s published in October and as I’m appearing at Octocon in October and TitanConBelfast in September I thought I should learn more about the genres. As TitanConBelfast is sponsored by Brotherhood of the Banner, I’m going to start with Game of Thrones. All advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Ehhh if I was you I'd start my own thread asking for advice just because this one might not get looked at that much.

In fantasy section I would recommend any of Brandon Sandersons work because he's my favourite...he puts a lot of thought into his magic systems so that they make sense and it isn't just something that can be used to solve any problem, so if your book involves magic that could work...he has a few stand alone novels Elantris, War breaker, The Emperors Soul and probably more that i'm forgetting and also trillogies and he's released the first book of his own epic too. So maybe if ou want to write one of them that could be good. It's called Way of the Kings.

If its more small on the magic Game of Thrones (proper name A Song of Ice and Fire) might be good as while it does seem to have magic it's not a gigantic part of the storyline...or well it is but its not like theres a lot of it if that makes sense.

The link above seems to say that Kushiel's Legacy stories by Jacqueline Carey and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke are both historical and fantasy...but I haven't read either so I don't know.

As far as mythology...I'm lost is that like dragons unicorns...or like greek gods???

Voice of the Gods series by Mary Cavannagh has the gods playing a large role if it's gods or Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffery for more dragoney book (obvs)

Sorry hope that helps!

What's the name of your book I'll keep an eye out for it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Interesting list, but no David Gemmell or Good Omens make it too US-centric for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KennethGregory

Cheers, I'll get right on to it tomorrow - and drop you a line - thanks

Advertisement