Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theme Parks

• 24-04-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any favourites? Love me a good theme park, proper ones now not Funderland, we could really do with a decent one in this country if the weather was there for it. Havent been to any in the UK yet but would love to go to Alton Towers, been to Disneyland in Paris, its good but really expensive food and drink wise, some great rides though Space Mountain is fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mosney was the bees knees.

I remember it as the only place where you could drive your bumping car any direction without some fella in a dodgy accent roaring abuse at you to go clockwise.

"Tarn around ahnd kape too dah wan direction!!!"

Alton Towers or a place like that is on my list of places to check out, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kickslate

Ino it is abit far away but if you were holiday in Spain, definitely worth a trip to PortAventura in Salou .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Keep your haynds in the soides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Was in Six Flags in Connecticut - ten times better than Disneyland Paris which in truth has only 2/3 rides worth going on.

Superman rollercoaster in Six Flags is nuts!

Edit - was in Thorpe Park outside London when I was a kid, can't really remember it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Been to Alton Towers (love it), Thorpe Park (v good) Drayton Manor (ok), Disney Florida (it's Disney!) Universal Florida (amazing - but pre Harry Potter so MUST go back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Legoland, Windsor.

A good time was had. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tayto park... irish style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Funland - on Craggy Island is a must

i ask you where else can you get...the Tunnel of Goats, Freak Pointing, Spinning cat and............the Ladder

such entertainment:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Universal in Florida is the best I've been to, an amazing place, way better than DisneyWorld.

In the UK Alton Towers is the best, been there about a dozen times. Thorpe Park and Chessington are ok too, Drayton Manor is reasonable enough, and the Gullivers Theme parks are fantastic for under 12s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Alton Towers in the UK and Knotts Berry Farm in the US, both excellent

• Advertisement

Agree on Universal being better than Disney, was in Orlando a few years ago and spent most of the week between the Universal parks and Sea World, didnt bother with Disneyworld, which is more for kids really. I'd like to see the Harry Potter part as it was being built when I was last there. Loved the Spider-Man and Mummy rollercoasters.

you know the pic they take of you near the end of the ride? we came out of the Mummy one and were looking at the screen to find ourselves, and the guy behind us was on his phone! we were laughing about it and he was standing next to us saying his girlfriend had dropped her phone on the ride the previous time around and he was ringing it to see if it was there, seriously? you think you'd hear a phone ringing underneath a rollercoaster going around 50mph in the dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Knots Berry Farm is my favourite too, but I liked universal too. Disneyland was fun, just couldn't be doing with all those queues. Amazing at night with the fireworks display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Busch Gardens
    Six Flags Magic Mountain

Both class parks !

Montu & the X2 are such good coasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Was in Six Flags outside Chicago a couple of years ago. Wow. Amazing stuff. I had been to Disneyland Paris a few years before that but I don't know, overall it seemed so tame compared to Six Flags! Superman, Batman, Vertical Velocity, The Big Drop - have a look at some videos on the YouTube to judge for yerselves how ****rifying the whole day was. But best day ever :D

Great theme park, highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tibidago in Barcelona...costly entry for the family but everything was free inside and very little queues made for a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

islands of adventure or bush gardens.

dueling dragons or sheikra are the best roller coasters i have ever been on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Been to Alton Towers as a kid but my favourite, although not technically a park, was always Blackpool. My ma and Da used to take us all the time when we were kids.

Queues are the definite downside of them alright, unless you buy fast passes (not easy if its a family) or go the right time of year, like just before or after school holidays or really off season, I was in Orlando just after Spring Break so the colleges and schools had all left and it wasn't really busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Anyone know if they charge for the rides inside Legoland or is it just the gate price & once in everything is free to get on. Was thinking about bringing the kid over for a day in a few months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The only roller coaster worth talking about is Mr Bones Wild Ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Any opinions on Oakwood? I keep meaning to organise a trip there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Oktoberfest,Munich

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Sea world in Orlando, the manta roller coster is insane and islands of adventure, the hulk is a whopper roller coster too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Bush gardens Florida is pretty good. Alton towers has some shît scary rides. The other one in Salou another poster mentioned is good. Blackpool pleasure beach is great craic too.

Ireland defo needs one but it will never happen because it would be closed 9 months of the year. Bankrupt in year 2.

God I'd love a good ride now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yawns wrote: »
    Anyone know if they charge for the rides inside Legoland or is it just the gate price & once in everything is free to get on. Was thinking about bringing the kid over for a day in a few months.

The gate price includes all the rides and sights inside, except for a few extra stalls that you will see on the footpaths, mostly just 'shoot the target and get a prize', no big loss.

Be prepared for the expense of the 'Big Shop' (right beside the entrance, of course :rolleyes:); there is a smaller shop behind it that sells discounted, discontinued stuff for much cheaper, look it up on the map that you will get with your tickets.

Be sure to check out the Lego Miniland - the world landmarks in miniature.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Robbo wrote: »
    The only roller coaster worth talking about is Mr Bones Wild Ride.

"I want to get off Mr Bones Wild Ride"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Alton Towers is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The only theme park I recall being to was a place called Camelot somewhere near Blackpool. Think I was 5 or 6 at the time.

I much prefer rollercoasters to stuff like waltzers, can't stand Funderland type rides, being spun around on the spot isn't my idea of fun. anyone in Disneyland ever go on the Finding Nemo rollercoaster? went on it thinking of this will be grand, its for kids like, my arse it is, you go sideways down a huge incline in a car thats made like a giant turtle shell that spins on it own axis, the kid in the car we were in was in hysterics afterwards :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've been to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, all the Orlando & Tampa parks(Busch Gardens) which are very good. And yes Disney parks were really for kids.

Nearer to home there are Six Flags parks in Holland and Belgium. Give them a try well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Universal Studios theme park in Hollywood is cool. I got to wander around that street they film desperate housewives on. They built an artificial street just for that tv series. Busch Gardens is great too, and Seaworld in Orlando.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

seenitall wrote: »
    The gate price includes all the rides and sights inside, except for a few extra stalls that you will see on the footpaths, mostly just 'shoot the target and get a prize', no big loss.

Be prepared for the expense of the 'Big Shop' (right beside the entrance, of course :rolleyes:); there is a smaller shop behind it that sells discounted, discontinued stuff for much cheaper, look it up on the map that you will get with your tickets.

Be sure to check out the Lego Miniland - the world landmarks in miniature.

Enjoy! :)

Cheers for that info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

krudler wrote: »
    I much prefer rollercoasters to stuff like waltzers, can't stand Funderland type rides, being spun around on the spot isn't my idea of fun. anyone in Disneyland ever go on the Finding Nemo rollercoaster? went on it thinking of this will be grand, its for kids like, my arse it is, you go sideways down a huge incline in a car thats made like a giant turtle shell that spins on it own axis, the kid in the car we were in was in hysterics afterwards :pac:

+1 on that! Went on the Nemo ride thinking it would be a good option for my son who doesn't like rollercoasters. Big mistake. He spent the whole ride begging to get off! He was more scared of that one then he was of the Aerosmith rollercoaster. At leat with that one you know what you're in for:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Agree on Universal being better than Disney, was in Orlando a few years ago and spent most of the week between the Universal parks and Sea World, didnt bother with Disneyworld, which is more for kids really. I'd like to see the Harry Potter part as it was being built when I was last there. Loved the Spider-Man and Mummy rollercoasters.

you know the pic they take of you near the end of the ride? we came out of the Mummy one and were looking at the screen to find ourselves, and the guy behind us was on his phone! we were laughing about it and he was standing next to us saying his girlfriend had dropped her phone on the ride the previous time around and he was ringing it to see if it was there, seriously? you think you'd hear a phone ringing underneath a rollercoaster going around 50mph in the dark?[/QUOTE

I forgot SeaWorld. I LOVED it. Got completely soaked and had so much fun

Yea it's a grand enough little coaster ain't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

paddy's top field with the sheep is a popular night spot for lonely farmers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love theme parks! Alton towered twice, disneyland Paris three times, universal studios salou, Sea world San Diego , and the best one, six flags LA. 10 Roller coasters in 6 hours, it was rough going!

I wanna go Harry Potter land nao!

tinyk68 wrote: »
    +1 on that! Went on the Nemo ride thinking it would be a good option for my son who doesn't like rollercoasters. Big mistake. He spent the whole ride begging to get off! He was more scared of that one then he was of the Aerosmith rollercoaster. At leat with that one you know what you're in for:eek:

Definitely, we only went on it because we wanted to see everything and the line wasn't that long as it was still early, the inside of it is cool, and I jumped when the shark popped out of the wall cos it was on my side lol the Aerosmith coaster is great, love the feeling of going from 0-60 in a split second. Did you go on the Tower of Terror? that was fantastic, the effect like you're flying through the Twilight Zone was really well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

supriaingly Terra mitica in benidorm is probably my favourite theme park.The setting is nice,its relaxed and not much queues.
    Canadas wonderland use pretty good too,the lack of a "theme" though is a bit crap.
    I wasn't blown away by any parks in Florida really,the rides were good and all but the queues and stuff are rediculous.
    6 flags is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

blue note wrote: »

I've been several times and always enjoy it

Other parks I've been to:

Six Flags Magic Mountain (California) - Unbelieveable
    Portaventura (Salou) - Excellent also
    Thorpe Park (Staines near London) - Well worth a trip
    Parque Warner (Madrid) - Warner Bros themed park, pretty good aswell but nothing on the ones mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Alton Towers is awesome. Might try to plan a try there this year now I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Was in Six Flags in Connecticut - ten times better than Disneyland Paris which in truth has only 2/3 rides worth going on.

Superman rollercoaster in Six Flags is nuts!

Edit - was in Thorpe Park outside London when I was a kid, can't really remember it though!

I've only been to two proper theme parks before. Six flags in Connecticut about 7 years ago and Disneyland Paris about 3 years ago. I agree with the poster above Disneyland wasn't a patch on Six Flags. The water park there was one of the coolest places I've ever been.

Saying that Disneyland was still pretty awesome. If you go during a time of year that's quiet but still warm it's great (like September when all the kids are back to school). You can fully see both of the parks in one day because the cues are very small.

The only thing that was awful about Six Flags was the cues. It was in or around the 4th of July when I went tho so probably peak times. If I were to go to any theme park again during busy periods I would definitely opt for the cue skipping tickets. Wasting 2/3rds of your time in cues is not fun. The superman was the new roller coaster when I visited and I spent a full hour cueing up to go on it. Was totally worth it tho, great ride :)

There's a Paramount theme park in the works in Spain now too, it's been delayed a lot though but meant to open in 2015

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

There's a Paramount theme park in the works in Spain now too, it's been delayed a lot though but meant to open in 2015

Aye,terra mitica was the old paramount park but the plans of the new one looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Definitely, we only went on it because we wanted to see everything and the line wasn't that long as it was still early, the inside of it is cool, and I jumped when the shark popped out of the wall cos it was on my side lol the Aerosmith coaster is great, love the feeling of going from 0-60 in a split second. Did you go on the Tower of Terror? that was fantastic, the effect like you're flying through the Twilight Zone was really well done.

It's a few years since we were there. The Tower of Terror was under construction at the time :(. Heard it's good though.

Nobody has mentioned Gardaland in Italy yet. Good combination of rollercoasters and water rides and the queues aren't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

blue note wrote: »

Was there in 2000, it's ok, decent, if you had the choice I'd say keep going past it, up to Alton Towers, that's where I'll be heading to this summer.
    Megaphobia is the biggest wooden rollercoaster in Europe (they say, Ted). But that seems to be it really apart from vertigo the bungee swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Been to Disneyworld, Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universial Studios in Florida. Sea World was most disappointing as most of the shows were cancelled due to severe thunderstorms.

They were all amazing :D Disneyworld is more for kids but there's some adult things too, we went to a Luau :D Hawaiian food, dancers, still have my lei :D

I loved the City Walk in Universal, downtown Orlando is a bit of a dump so we just went there at night time, its much safer and nicer, and free in.

http://www.bestorlandovacationpackages.com/media/cms/xmodnewsrss/Universal-CityWalk-Orlando.jpg

http://media.universalorlando.com/resources/digitalassets/Universal%20CityWalk%203%20-%20LR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

Can personally vouch for the universal theme park in Salou . It's excellent and legoland in Windsor .You may not get weather in the UK though. Funnily enough I got both those trips for free. Strangers actually gave me the universal one ( long story they couldn't use it themselves so gave it to us ) and my son coloured in a picture in Pizza Hut and we sent it off and he won the trip to Legoland. Well I actually did the colouring but Pizza Hut didn't mind and when they found out my son has special needs they organised a whole heap of extra stuff for him. Total class act. Still waiting on our free trip to Disneyland Paris lol . I believe it will come lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Gardaland.... we went to Lake Garda on honeymoon specifically to go there!

Not actually my favourite, but a great name - good solid park with a couple of cracking coasters! Run by the same crew as Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc...

Alton Towers has to be the fave so far (went for wife's bday this time last year) - have done most of the UK ones along with the predictable Disneys etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Gardaland in Northern Italy is pretty cool. Massive rollercoasters are class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement