Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.40 Berlin marathon

Options
  • 24-04-2013 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

The time seems right to commit to a plan for Berlin marathon.
    The last four weeks have been a disaster training wise with too many excuses to list but the main one being a lack of motivation and being lazy.
    Withe Berlin 22 weeks away I will get back into a routine now for next few weeks and do a 14-16 week plan.
    My goal is sub 2.40 and everything after this a bonus.
    Yet to map out races and alot depends on work as im setting up a new venture in 5 weeks time.

The programme will be based of a previous one that worked for me but with a few changes.
    Mileage will start at 50miles and build into a max week of 110.
    Reading some of the logs on here has inspired me to give this a good go and try make my log a little more exciting.
    First update to follow today :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Best of luck with the training, hope it's injury free, well, more injury free than usual for you ;) Good to see you're getting close to launch with the other thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

FAir play that is some target. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

You're obviously inflicted with SAD as well :D
    Best of luck and I'll see you in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Are you knocking the track season on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best of luck TW! Will be following this with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Cheers lads,

Still plan on running a little track if club need me for the league but again with work this might be a no go.
    Anyone looking to meet up for runs give me a shout ;)
    ps what is SAD? :confused:

Today I ran 50% Phoenix Park and 50% the Canal.Bumped into a guy running similar pace who is training for Limerick marathon.Ran 3-4 miles with him and ended up doing 10 miles average 7.20 per mile.

Distance:10miles
    Shoes:Fass 500
    Surface:grass/canal

Niggles:Back still tight left side and left hamstring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You ran on the canal? That's pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

ps what is SAD? :confused:

Seasonal affective disorder.
    It was just a little joke. I've convinced myself I'm a sufferer :D causes a lack of motivation around the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck. 110 miles/ week seems excessive for sub 2:40. Or is that just a loose target and actual target is more agressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Abhainn wrote: »
    Best of luck. 110 miles/ week seems excessive for sub 2:40. Or is that just a loose target and actual target is more agressive?

Yeah 110miles/week should see you in the 2:25 - 2:29 range. You'd get away with 80miles/week if you're going for sub 2:40, maybe less.
    But be cool, get yourself to the startline in one piece and its all gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Will be following this with interest. What's your marathon history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great to hear your back on the Berlin bus. Good luck with the training and the new venture. Be in to see you when it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

110 is certainly sub 2.30. I ran on avg 75-80 miles per week for London and ran sub 2.40 fairly comfortably. If your body is not used to running big mileage you need to be very careful otherwise injury will surely follow. A strong core is a pre-req for a successful marathon schedule;)

Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peckham wrote: »

He turned up at the start line of DCM 2012 and have a ball :pac:

Best of luck TW, good to see your work thing is taking off. Gis a job will ye :pac:

Is JD coaching you through this?

Peak mileage will be 110(maybe 2 weeks)
    Sit back and enjoy the log :D

Ran 3 miles @ 7min pace followed by 3miles @ 5.55,5.45,5.35 and 3miles @ 7min pace
    Last half mile felt tough but very happy to get the legs moving again.

9miles in total.
    Shoes brooks

Niggles:none

Sunday:90minute run in Phoenixpark@ 7.10pace
    Saturday:rest day
    Friday:12mile run @ 9min pace,ran with a friend who is training for an ironman.

No updates due to lap top not working.

Took one rest day this week and had one late night run at 10.30 pm (30minutes)
    Today I run up the reservoir in Tallaght for 1 hour 45minutes.
    Friday was 9miles in st catherines park in Lucan.
    Thursday was 10miles easy in phoenix Park.
    Wed was 18miles to town and back and Phoenix Park.

Plan an easy 8-10 miles for a 70+ mile week.

Shoes:Been using Brooks pure cadence and On running.

8mile run today in the park.I was shattered and quads beat up from long run yesterday.
    Was going to run Arc 10k but after today I don't think I could run one 6minute mile never mind 6 in a row.

Arc 10k report:

Disaster of a sleep last night,got about 3 hours sleep and eating a mcdonalds and loads of sh#te didn't help.
    The wife kicked me out of the appartment and told me to do the race.
    Arrived up around 8.45am to sign up and hardly anyone around.
    Warm up was 20minutes @ 9MINUTE MILES,MY QUADS WHERE LIKE TREE TRUNKS.
    On top of this I had a case of the sh#ts and had to stop 6 times for a pit stop.
    Lined up and couldn't see and sub 34 10 k guys so confident enough of winning.

Start went and a group of about 15 all ran together in pure silence.
    I sat back in about 6th place and glanced at the garmin,we where running 3.40 km pace.I decided to make a move and see if anyone followed,after 30seconds I looked behind and only one guy made an attempt but he was 30m back.The rest of the race I was able to hit 3.25 per km and felt relaxed and comfortable.I had time to change my top and race number at around 6k and relaxed for a nice win and a nice suprise after as I got a night for two in the four seasons hotel.
    Calfs a little tender after but feel pretty good.Winning time was 35.11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Arc 10k report:

On top of this I had a case of the sh#ts and had to stop 6 times for a pit stop.

Cheers for sharing. TMI, thats all Im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Arc 10k report:

The wife kicked me out of the appartment and told me to do the race.

...and a nice suprise after as I got a night for two in the four seasons hotel.

Bet she knew about the prize..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

That win seemed so effortless, well done.
    Good luck with the new log, very interested to follow your training and the many many miles...

With the collapse of my last lap top the log has been pretty dull so far.
    Sorry about tmi Tunguska :D
    When you win seems easy,just lucky standard was poor.
    The wife was very happy with the prize and im sure she knew lol.

Today got a txt of my buddy who was buzzing after his win in the Limerick marathon the weekend.
    We went for run in phoenix Park and sun was out and could have ran forever.
    Bumped into Gavin Noble and chatting with him for abit.
    Ended up doing 14 miles,pace was around 7-7.15 per mile.

Stuck for time later and had to run up to Ballymount so another 3 miles :eek:
    Back wearing my Puma Fass 500 today and no blisters,seem to blister ont he balls of my feet when wearing any of the Brooks pure project range.

weeks total so far:27miles

Didn't get out till 8pm tonight as the missus was working and had meetings all day.
    To be honest I have no real structure right now so headed out and didn't know wethere I was going to run 10minutes or 60minutes.

Started of steady and left garmin off for first 10minutes.Then cranked it up a little pace was 4.15 per km and got slightly wuicker each km.
    Ran the last km which happen to be up the hill in the furry glen in 3.30.Hit 10k just under 40minutes.
    Total 7miles.
    shoes:brooks pure connect

Niggles:calfs a little tender still.
    Weeks total so far:34miles

Peckham wrote: »

Marathon history mmm let me see,was in Dublin last year with the hangover from hell.Just got under 3hours :D
    Nnot looking at history anymore but towards some fast times later int he year and soem big pb's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

With the collapse of my last lap top the log has been pretty dull so far.
    Sorry about tmi Tunguska :D
    When you win seems easy,just lucky standard was poor.
    The wife was very happy with the prize and im sure she knew lol.

Today got a txt of my buddy who was buzzing after his win in the Limerick marathon the weekend.
    We went for run in phoenix Park and sun was out and could have ran forever.
    Bumped into Gavin Noble and chatting with him for abit.
    Ended up doing 14 miles,pace was around 7-7.15 per mile.

Stuck for time later and had to run up to Ballymount so another 3 miles :eek:
    Back wearing my Puma Fass 500 today and no blisters,seem to blister ont he balls of my feet when wearing any of the Brooks pure project range.

weeks total so far:27miles

similar story with the Brooks Pure (cadence I think). Terrible blisters on the inside of the balls o both feet. I fail to see how a company who made green silence can make shoes as bad as the pure range. And charge twice as much for them

PaulieC wrote: »
    similar story with the Brooks Pure (cadence I think). Terrible blisters on the inside of the balls o both feet. I fail to see how a company who made green silence can make shoes as bad as the pure range. And charge twice as much for them

Ye same place as myself,have switched back to other shoes with no problems.
    What are you wearing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Still wearing the pure occasionally as they cost so much :-)
    Other than those, green silence and NB minimus. Managed to get another pair of silence last week so I'm sorted for a good while. When they're gone I'll take up cycling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Arc 10k report:

I had time to change my knickers at around 6k and relaxed for a nice win a

:eek:

Advertisement