Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 2.40 Berlin marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Calf holding up? I'm having problems with mine at the minute, nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

You still on for Berlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

pconn062 wrote: »
    Calf holding up? I'm having problems with mine at the minute, nightmare.

Ye feeling ok now,but havn't ran anything fast.
    lower or upper part?

Yes Berlin always been the plan and got the green light from my business partner.Important that im not a fat sales man who used to run :)

Today was a messy day,had to run to shop to meet flooring guy and then back over to collect key later so was 2 x 3.5 miles.Second run put in a few surges,maybe cause I had the top off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Yes Berlin always been the plan and got the green light from my business partner.Important that im not a fat sales man who used to run :)

Today was a messy day,had to run to shop to meet flooring guy and then back over to collect key later so was 2 x 3.5 miles.Second run put in a few surges,maybe cause I had the top off :D

Been playing with the idea myself. I do feel that having a top on brings the sweat away from my body so top off doesn't give any benefit other than the "i don't give a F*&^" look :)

Am running berlin also. Will be look at this thread with interest.

• Advertisement

Another messy day with meetings so ended up doing 2 x 4.5 mile runs
    Great day to be running,was tempted to go again but just finding my feet again.
    No idea what sort of fitness im in so might do 6minute miles on Mon or Tue and see how many I can hold at that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ye feeling ok now,but havn't ran anything fast.
    lower or upper part?

Outside of left calf, feeling a bit better. Always worried about calf injuries as they can be troublesome.

You must be doing soem track work,make sure you change direction every second week to take the pressure of the left side.

Today I did 7miles all just under 6minute pace.Was going to stop after 1mile but kept going.Motivation still pretty low right now.Need to start getting out with others to train with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You must be doing soem track work,make sure you change direction every second week to take the pressure of the left side.

Today I did 7miles all just under 6minute pace.Was going to stop after 1mile but kept going.Motivation still pretty low right now.Need to start getting out with others to train with.

I'll take the plaudits for motivating you to keep going

Sunday-hungover
    Monday-20minutes
    Tue-1 hour

• Advertisement

Can barely remember today never mind what I did running wise during the week.

My knee has been at me and took 1 day off and most other days was run over to the shop(3miles) and sometimes the run back.
    Today I didn't get out till 9.30pm and did small loop of the park(7miles)

14 weeks and 6 days till Berlin and right now id struggle to run 4-5miles @ my goal marathon pace.
    Need to start setting small goals but with work and the little one it is very difficult.Even forgot about the Beer mile :mad:

So next week I will start to build base and some steady running.
    Anyone around for a run give me a shout.

50minutes yesterday @ 10.20pm
    Hopefully get out for a longish run today.

Cracking run tonight,didn't get out till 10.30pm but ran around Phoenix park.
    Ended up running into a parked car but just caught my hand :o

Total run 1hour 15minutes.
    shoes: On Cloudrunners.
    surface:grass

7 miles in the park,feel like im working to run 7.30 minute miles which isn't good.Really enjoying running on the grass more.

If I can get a babysitter im going to do the Docklands 10k tomorrow night.

shoes:brooks ghost
    surface:grass
    niggles:none

One of the most enjoyable days running in a while.
    Ran over to work and home am (7miles)
    Then decided to give the 10k a miss.Went down to the club but missed the lads as I was late.
    2mile warm up and did 800m 2.28 600m 1.42 400m 61 300m 45 200m x 4 28,26,28,29
    1mile cooldown.

Late call and had to make a dash to work at 11pm so another 5miles logged.

Total:17miles
    Shoes:fass 500 and adidas hagio

Messy day today and was very tired from yesterday.
    Ran 5miles easy,very humid out.

Surface:grass
    shoes:Brooks pure flow
    miles:47

6miles easy yesterday
    13miles today and nice group for a change in the Phoenix park.
    65+ miles this week so slowly getting some good training in now.

New shop opening Wed and just moved into a new house in Castleknock so hopefully routine will be good from now on.

Left my phone charger in my mates so had to run over at 11pmand collect them.8miles added to my Sunday run :D

3miles am and 7miles pm

Really enjoying my running again.

Shoes:Fass 500
    WTD:10

8miles am
    Met a couple lads outside the shop heading to the BHAA 5K race so decidedto enter last minute.
    Field was alot strong than last few years and with no structure to my training I had no idea how I would run.

Race report:

I decided before the start whatever my performance I was going to run smart.
    Gun went and I went out steady but found myself in about 14th place after 400m.
    Up ahead I could see Cillian O Leary and some guy in a pair of GAA shorts and football boots.I was suprised he stayed out in the top two for about 700m.
    Soon I was into a clear 3rd with Paul O Connell right behind.
    Decision time now;should I stay at this pace andhope 2nd place comes back or go after 2nd place and then relax.Decided to go after 2nd and this was to be a good move as I soon caught him after 1km and I pushed on ahead.
    After we came around the first lap I glanced and we had 20m on POC and I was feeling relaxed,the distance to COL was now 12-15 seconds so it was a race for 2nd place.

As we approached the only hill on the course I picked up the pace and a guy told me you have 10 yards which gave me confidence.After 3.5k I hit a flat spot and was past by the 2nd guy(Crusaders runner) and slotted in behind about 3 metres back but was running well within myself.
    Now should I push on or wait for the kick,been a while since I had a sit and kick so waited and waited and waited again,with 120 metres to goo I floored it and glanced around and had broken him.
    Time was just outside 16 minutes so a very nice suprise all round.
    Only slight negative right achilles tender.

Miles:17
    shoes:Endorphin ld and Brooks ghost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

8miles am
    Met a couple lads outside the shop heading to the BHAA 5K race so decidedto enter last minute.
    Field was alot strong than last few years and with no structure to my training I had no idea how I would run.

Race report:

I decided before the start whatever my performance I was going to run smart.
    Gun went and I went out steady but found myself in about 14th place after 400m.
    Up ahead I could see Cillian O Leary and some guy in a pair of GAA shorts and football boots.I was suprised he stayed out in the top two for about 700m.
    Soon I was into a clear 3rd with Paul O Connell right behind.
    Decision time now;should I stay at this pace andhope 2nd place comes back or go after 2nd place and then relax.Decided to go after 2nd and this was to be a good move as I soon caught him after 1km and I pushed on ahead.
    After we came around the first lap I glanced and we had 20m on POC and I was feeling relaxed,the distance to COL was now 12-15 seconds so it was a race for 2nd place.

As we approached the only hill on the course I picked up the pace and a guy told me you have 10 yards which gave me confidence.After 3.5k I hit a flat spot and was past by the 2nd guy(Crusaders runner) and slotted in behind about 3 metres back but was running well within myself.
    Now should I push on or wait for the kick,been a while since I had a sit and kick so waited and waited and waited again,with 120 metres to goo I floored it and glanced around and had broken him.
    Time was just outside 16 minutes so a very nice suprise all round.
    Only slight negative right achilles tender.

Miles:17
    shoes:Endorphin ld and Brooks ghost

Well done kev

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Crackin run Kev. You always seem to stay sharp, no matter what hurdles are thrown in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done kev. Although I feel obligated to tell you to not get carried away and do something nuts like run a marathon at the weekend. Be cool man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

A pleasure being broken by ya TW :D I knew the game was up in the last km as Ive the worst sprint finish ever, I'd struggle to outkick a granny!!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    A pleasure being broken by ya TW :D I knew the game was up in the last km as Ive the worst sprint finish ever, I'd struggle to outkick a granny!!

Cracking race id say you would destroy me on anything over 5k right now.
    Had a little bit of guilt sitting in the last 1km but knew the longer I waited the better chance I had.
    After a 13 hour stint in work today ran 30minutes home.Achilles a little tender.

Im giving away some free shoes I have worn a handfull of time so If anyone is uk 10 or 10.5 I have a pair of Brooks cadence,Puma Mobium.Will have a look later to see what else is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Im giving away some free shoes I have worn a handfull of time so If anyone is uk 10 or 10.5 I have a pair of Brooks cadence,Puma Mobium.Will have a look later to see what else is around.

Cool let me know what you got and I'll defo take a pair or two off your hands.

Rest day yesterday and easy 30minutes tonight followed by 6 x 150m strides.

Sat:20minutes am and 20 minutes pm
    Sunday:6miles 6.40pace and 6miles 6.10 pace -12 miles

Achilles much better today and solid week.

Monday:Had company for 50 minute run in the park and only for that would have stopped as achilles very tender.
    Had to then run home to my new house in Castleknock which I thought was closer(took wrong turn)
    75minutes and in agony and no ice at home so cold tap had to do.
    Total:10miles

Tuesday:
    Ran into work and home for a total of 8miles.New Mizuno Sayanora felt great and achilles alot better.
    Total:8miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

New Mizuno Sayanora felt great and achilles alot better.
    They're the replacement for the Precisions, aren't they? what are they like? Can't believe Mizuno have discontinued my favourite running shoe. booourns..

Advertisement