Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem - Upgrading Hard Drive to 1TB in Humax Foxsat HDR - Linux Ext2 format- help?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi All,

My 320gb Humax HDR hard drive has been playing up recently. I read lots of information on various sites about swapping and upgrading the hard drive. The box is out of warranty so i had no issue in removing the top cover. I purchased a Western Digital WD10EADS 1Tb drive as I read on numerous sites this was one that had been proved to be compatible. The swapping of the drive was the easy bit.

The problem has been that on start up of the box, after the boot screen, there is a notification that the hard drive needs to be formatted. This was expected, as I have read that the box will carry out the format automatically. So I press ok and the formatting starts. 'Please wait' and a whirling circle appears on the tv screen, so i know the box is doing something. On the display on box itself it reads 'initialize parti' which I assume means initialising partitions.

However nothing then happens. I have left it working in this state for upto a couple of hours ( as I don't know how long the process should take).

has anyone any ideas? I read that the hard Drive need to be formatted to linux Ext2, which the box should automatically be doing. I was wondering is there anyway I could pre-format the hard drive by connecting to my laptop pc? and then installing it ready formatted? would this work and if so is there a program that I need to download to my laptop to be able to format in linux ext2.

I thought I was pretty competent at this type of thing, but this was me stuck!

I also started this thread in the Satellite forum

Thanks in advance

Borgman 100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

download ubuntu live iso and burn to dvd

then boot onto the ubuntu live cd and then use it to format the drive with the linux ext that you need

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Borgman100

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. This will probably sound thick but how do i get my laptop to boot from the CD?

Thanks again in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Borgman100 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. This will probably sound thick but how do i get my laptop to boot from the CD?

Thanks again in advance

when you first turn on your laptop hit f12 for boot menu then select the cd drive - make sure you have the ubuntu disk in the drive

Brilliant. Than you again. Will give it a try tonight.

Borgman100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can also boot off a USB stick on most recent laptops. Try YUMI - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ to create the stick image. Any Linux distro should be able to do it, DSL is probably the smallest (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) but I haven't tried that with YUMI.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

If you want to save download time don't bother with Ubuntu.. Use Gparted live cd.. It's the same as the one that comes with Ubuntu but considerably smaller Burn it to a cd or put it on a USB flash.. If you do the latter use unetbootin or universal USB Installer both are free..
    Make sure cd/USB is in the computer and power on pressing (usually f12) to bring up the one time boot menu.. Select cd/USB and follow institutions.. Connect the drive and refresh Drives and format in ext2

Just by way of update...

Thanks for the response. I tried again last night and left the humax box running. It stayed on the 'initialising parti' for nearly an hour but then kicked into life. A check on HDD through the system menu shows the capacity of the video partition has increased to 900GB + so it's definitely formatted the drive.

Problem is now that when I recorded a program and went to play it back, the playback is totally jumpy and unwatchable. Very glitchy. But it definitely recorded.

I read up more last night and it said that the new HD run speed might be at 300 something, so might be too fast for the box? It was mentioned a jumper could be used on this drive. Would a jumper slow the speed?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks again.

Advertisement