Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

76.67 is A+, any advantage to getting 85%

Options
  • 24-04-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

From what I understand, There is no advantage to getting 90% in a module, compared to 77% which is also an A+..

Is it true that degree classifications are calculated solely on GPA and not on percentage averages?

I`m not sure since when I was in DIT it was done on percentage averages.

Link below is where I am getting this info from - just looking for confirmation from current students - thanks.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/understanding%20your%20grade%20point%20average%20gpa.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Correctomundo! It's a pain in the hole tbh!!!
    Especially if there's an aspect of the continuous assessment that you do particularly well in (100% or whatever), but you only get 78.33% of that, as that is the "calculation point" for all A+ grades. It makes all the difference in working out what grade you get for a module.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Sometimes lecturers actually give you a percentage grade for an assignment. I've found in these cases that if you do get 85% then they actually use 85% in the calculations. Although most lecturers do just give you a letter grade, which means your A+ is only worth 78.33% as you said. It's such a pain when they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is a temporary undergrad problem. Once you start your first job or post-grad, marks really mean nothing. Its the completion that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

endacl wrote: »
    This is a temporary undergrad problem. Once you start your first job or post-grad, marks really mean nothing. Its the completion that's important.

Yeah but alot of Job specs specify a minimum 2.1 degree... so for me, this is the passing mark, not 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah but alot of Job specs specify a minimum 2.1 degree... so for me, this is the passing mark, not 40%.

Exactly. The minimum score required is what counts. Once you hit that you're home free, qualifications-wise. Anything above that is a bonus to your self esteem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

From what I understand, There is no advantage to getting 90% in a module, compared to 77% which is also an A+..

Is it true that degree classifications are calculated solely on GPA and not on percentage averages?

I`m not sure since when I was in DIT it was done on percentage averages.

Link below is where I am getting this info from - just looking for confirmation from current students - thanks.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/understanding%20your%20grade%20point%20average%20gpa.pdf

The person in the example grading thing really has to get their shít together.

So yeah, unless you're doing a MATH or STAT module anything above 77% is not worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, if you have a mid term worth 20% (or assignment, whatever) and you get 85%, then you get 17/20%, which is obviously worth it as it contributes to your final grade and will make it easier to get 77% or whatever over all.

Not all modules are marked by the letter grade, most of mine are marked by % with only the final grade being a letter grade...

Advertisement