Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out about An Post Letter Rate Increases?

Options
  • 24-04-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I luckily heard about a rate increase from a friend, but otherwise would have absolutely no idea that postage rates for letters increased as of April 2nd from 50c to 60c. I must not be the only one.

Should I have received a postcard about this in my mailbox? Just curious how this kind of information is communicated since I am somewhat new to Ireland. Do most people find out via newspaper or government website that everyone knows about (except me)?

Also is there a grace period if I post a letter with an old stamp? I have a packet of domestic stamps which I assume I need to purchase 5c stamps to make them valid postage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ScottSF wrote: »
    I luckily heard about a rate increase from a friend, but otherwise would have absolutely no idea that postage rates for letters increased as of April 2nd from 50c to 60c. I must not be the only one.
    From 55c to 60c.

Should I have received a postcard about this in my mailbox?

NO.

Do most people find out via newspaper or government website that everyone knows about (except me)?

Newspapers ads, newspaper articles, word-of-mouth.

Also is there a grace period if I post a letter with an old stamp? I have a packet of domestic stamps which I assume I need to purchase 5c stamps to make them valid postage.

Grace period - yes, I think so, a few weeks, don't know 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sending out a postcard to everyone would cost more than the increase would bring in. They advertise in newspapers and, generally, where stamps are sold.

It's Ireland, there's always a grace period! I've never heard of a letter being returned nor the recipient being charged where it's within a couple of months of the change in price.

You could, to be safe, buy a number of 5c stamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm in the same position. I usually keep a few International stamps as I often post stuff overseas. It's gone up to 90c now. So the next time I'm in the post office, I'll get a couple of 8c stamps to make it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was very little notification this time. I rang up the post office to complain and they said in branch they only found out on the day of increase.

I buy stamps in bulk for work and luckily they agreed to take back unopened sheets and issue a refund...I didn't want to be spending my time licking 5 cent and 3 cent stamps for the next few months!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I work in an office and we didn't get any notification at all from An Post, which i thought was very bad form. Places of business should definitely have been informed as most businesses still have large volumes of post. The first I knew about it was when I noticed one of the stamps on incoming post was for 60c, so I went onto the An Post website and only then saw the changes, this was over a week after they came into place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

It was on the news, it was in the newspapers, it was in the post offices. It was also on boards.

The only change was for standard letters up to 50g

Letters 50g-100g had gone to 60c last year, but under 50g they had to get regulatory approval, hence the increase on standard letters came in this year and not last year when the general increase came in.

BTW - substantially cheaper than royal mail

sandin wrote: »
    It was on the news, it was in the newspapers, it was in the post offices. It was also on boards.

The only change was for standard letters up to 50g

Letters 50g-100g had gone to 60c last year, but under 50g they had to get regulatory approval, hence the increase on standard letters came in this year and not last year when the general increase came in.

BTW - substantially cheaper than royal mail

That wasn't the only change. Overseas post went up, as did the cost of large envelopes. Previously any time there has been a change in postal rates, we have been notified by An Post with a leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There was very little notification this time. I rang up the post office to complain and they said in branch they only found out on the day of increase.

I buy stamps in bulk for work and luckily they agreed to take back unopened sheets and issue a refund...I didn't want to be spending my time licking 5 cent and 3 cent stamps for the next few months!

My Local postoffice had a poster with the new rates up a little while before the increase, and I hear them on several occasions reminding some regular customers of the increases at the time of the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

It's not as if they aren't going to deliver a letter if you have a 55c stamp on it surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I work in an office and we didn't get any notification at all from An Post, which i thought was very bad form. Places of business should definitely have been informed as most businesses still have large volumes of post. The first I knew about it was when I noticed one of the stamps on incoming post was for 60c, so I went onto the An Post website and only then saw the changes, this was over a week after they came into place.

In my experience, most businesses would have their own franking machines which negates the need for physical stamps.

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    In my experience, most businesses would have their own franking machines which negates the need for physical stamps.

A lot of businesses don't. And even if they do, they still need to know the price to put on the envelope.

Advertisement