Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flax seed alternative

Options
  • 24-04-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to try a recipe for a type of banana bread that calls for 30g of ground flax seed. I can only find very large bags of the stuff that are quite pricey, and tbh most of it would probably never be used. I know flax seeds can be used as an alternative to eggs, but that doesn't seem to be the case here as they're just mixed in with the other dry ingredients. So I was wondering should I leave them out completely or substitute them with something else like wheat germ or bran?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say it would be fine to substitute bran or wheatgerm, or just leave it out. The flax seed is probably an added extra ingredient - like chocolate chips or sultanas in some recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I got linseed in an East European shop for a fraction of the cost of flax seed in a supermarket. It's the samething. I think flax seed has become known as a super food so the price has shot up

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Used wheat germ in the end and it turned out perfectly. I'll definitely be making it again as it's sugar-free and diabetic friendly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Can you post the recipe please?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No problem at all. It's from the May 2013 Easy Food magazine.

Banana Buckwheat Breakfast Cake

240g wholegrain buckwheat flour
    30g coconut flour
    30g ground flax seed (substituted wheatgerm for this)
    1tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1tsp cinnamon
    2tsp baking powder
    2tbsp dessicated coconut
    125ml unsweetened apple sauce (or puréed Bramley apples)
    250ml banana purée (about 2 large bananas)
    250ml almond milk (used low fat milk instead)
    1tsp vanilla extract
    50g chopped walnuts
    1 large banana, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp raw cacao nibs, to serve (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4, and line a deep 20cm round tin with parchment. Mix the first seven ingredients in a large mixing bowl.

2. Mix the apple sauce, banana purée, almond milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.

3. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until combined, then fold in the walnuts.

4. Pour the thick batter into the tin. Top with the banana slices and bake for 40 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, then chill for a couple of hours before slicing.

5. Sprinkle with cacao nibs to serve. Store in the fridge for up to a week. It can also be frozen.

Didn't bother chilling it before serving and it was fine. Also left out the banana slices, as even though it's got no added sugar, as a diabetic I felt there was going to be enough sugar from the banana and apple purées for me. There were no complaints from anyone else who tried it.

It's not overly sweet, but it's probably as healthy a cake as will ever be made in this house. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement