Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Unique Holday Experiences

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I went canoeing down a river in the Czech Republic last summer for a few days.

Six lads in three canoes, just drinking all the time, was great craic. We travelled about 70kms. We stayed in campsites every night and went out in whatever town we were in and stacked the canoes up with drink every day. Every few kilometres along the way, there was a bar where we stopped and stocked up some more.

It was actually really relaxing. Once you get a decent speed going and the river is nice and steady and nothing too curvy, you can just lay back, crack open a beer and just cruise down the river, under the sun and relax. And then every few hours, you have a proper rush when you have to fly down the locks. It was amazing. I'd defo recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

West China / Tibet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I love Turkey: there are so many layers of history, the food is great, the people were cool, and the beer was cheap.

Hong Kong is one of my favorite places in the world, and you can eat surprisingly well there for very little money, but I was lucky to be able to stay with family because the hotels are damn expensive. It is also stinking hot in the summer, so not the best getaway.

Probably the most amazing vacation I've been on was to the Amazon: we flew into Manaus, and had to take a boat up a tributary to get to the lodge. The wildlife is unbelievable, and the scale of the Amazon where the two key rivers meet is almost unimaginable. One of the most brilliant things I've ever seen was watching a giant storm slowly work its way up the river, pass over us, and slowly break. Rio was actually a bit of a letdown after that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

We road trip and camp a lot. We break the camping up with hotel/b&b stays to get a good wash, do some laundry and enjoy a bit of air con.

Starting point is always Amsterdam, from where we've:

toured the north of Italy with stopovers in the alps in Austria
    took our own WWI + II tour of Belgium down into Ardennes forest, up to Ypres and into France
    driven round Czech Republic, had a weekend in Prague and nipped into Poland
    Austria again (Salzburg)-Slovenia (Lake Bled- oh god that's such a beautiful country!)-Croatia (Istrian peninsula)

Of all of the trips I personally loved Czech Republic the most, but for a unique and affordable experience I'll just add my voice to those lauding Croatia. Get there before everyone else and their granny realises what an amazing destination it is.

This year we're driving down through France, stopping at Barcelona, staying with family near Seville/Cordoba/Grenada and then driving north through the Basque country and the Pyrenees on the way back. It's still in the planning stages, the only thing I know for sure is the stay with family and we'll be hitting up some cave paintings at some point.

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Tristan da Cunha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

kingsenny wrote: »
    Trying to decide where to go for the summer and do something exciting. Not really interested in going to Spain to lie on the beach

So what's the most exciting/unique holidays you've been on?

Go inter-railing for a few weeks if you can (depending on what age you are of course) stay in hostels in a city for 2-4 nights and party with other peole doing the same, move on to next city explore and meet new people in the next hostel. I did it in summer 2008 and was an unforgettable time. Still smile when i think back on it. The key is to pick good hostels with bars/ good common areas to meet others.

Advertisement