Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separated - wanting to buy with new partner

• 24-04-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've been separated from my ex-wife for 1&1/2 years and wish now too buy a house with my new partner. I own no property nor assess with my ex and have paid her maintenance every month as per private agreement.

Will buying a new house entitle her to any claim upon it ?
    Is there anything that my ex-wife could claim at all due to new house?

P.s a mortgage is not an issue...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Aussieman wrote: »
    I've been separated from my ex-wife for 1&1/2 years and wish now too buy a house with my new partner. I own no property nor assess with my ex and have paid her maintenance every month as per private agreement.

Thanks

Definitely a case where legal advice is required my friend and we can't give that here .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gareth789

Hi,
    IMHO -
    quick answer would be YES
    since your still married, if you build up any financial interest in the property your wife would naturally be entitled to share, as would you if it was the other way around
    You should file for divorce to settle the matter as you seem to be moving on with your new partner, even if you dont intend to remarry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Thanks

To quote George Bush jnr "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...won't get fooled again"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aussieman

To quote George Bush jnr "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...won't get fooled again"

Appreciate all the help people.
    Even relevant quotes :-)

I've taken some legal advice from a solicitor and I'm drawing up a seperation agreement forsaking all future earnings, inheritance etc. I've had to offer more money to get her to sign but in the long run I think it may be the best option.

I did not do a swap of declaration of means though I'm not earning anymore than I ever was. I also pay far more than any other man I know so I'm hoping this will suffice.

Thanks again all those that replied and PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bingolife

Aussieman - just out of curiosity - do you have kids with your ex-wife and is there a (big) difference in your incomes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

Thanks
    It comes down to the seperation agreement you have. Was it included that no further claim could be made on you etc etc, i.e if you won the lotto etc. It depends how good your solicitor and barrister were to have this included. You obviously cant have a situation where your looking over your shoulder if you were to own property etc. If you only done a private agreement between yourselves, thats not good. I would make it legal.

Advertisement