Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep l think no can say we are not getting some value now in the market. What went on before was crazy. Rogers could prove to the shrewdest manager in the transfer market since Wenger

:eek:

Bit early to make that suggestion!!

Assaidi - non entity thus far
    Couthinho - promising start
    Borinni - poor first season
    Sturridge - promising start
    Allen - poor first season

The jury is out on this one just yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :eek:

Bit early to make that suggestion!!

Assaidi - non entity thus far
    Couthinho - promising start
    Borinni - poor first season
    Sturridge - promising start
    Allen - poor first season

The jury is out on this one just yet.

Other than Allen though, you can't really say Liverpool overpaid too much on any of them. All the above have relatively good re-sale value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think Ngoo is a good option for us for cup games, as a central striker with Borini and Sterling, or similar, giving the width. He holds the ball up well, and he's quite a smart finisher.
    I can't see Ngoo getting a single minute of game time this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Plus, it's not Rodgers who agrees the fee. The committee agree the targets and a value expectation, and Ayre has to make that happen. It certainly worked better in Jan than last summer (Sturridge & Countinho v Allen, Borini and Assaidi).

If we can get Papa for about £15M, Aspas for under £8M and Ilori & Alberto for combined under £10M, then we'll have done a fine job.

Other than Allen though, you can't really say Liverpool overpaid too much on any of them. All the above have relatively good re-sale value too.

Hmm, don't think Borini would fetch more than half what was paid.

Sturridge wasn't cheap, and I think he's very much in the last chance saloon as a top commodity.

I can't see Ngoo getting a single minute of game time this season.

I don't think there is any chance of him making it at our level, but maybe as a shop window. He deserves a little shot. I think if we had had him against Oldham last season, for example, we might have been able to beat them at their game. He's a hard guy to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Llori will hardly be expected to start surely??
    Ya the Papa one has been hot and cold like a Katy perry song.
    Good to see tooing and frooing regarding prices anyhow, are Liverpool learning the art of negotiation.

I would assume this is how the possible new signings will fit in if we get them :).

Ilori - back up for CB/LB

Papa - 1st team to replace Skrtel

Alberto - I guess will most probably be a fringe player initially.

Aspas - 1st team with Suarez suspended or if he goes

Toure - back up CB

Mkhitaryan - 1st team

Possible lining up like this for 1st game of the season ??

abEXeGlaft.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I see oul Moley has tweeted that he thinks we could challenge for the title if we sign all the players we are linked with, and also keep Suarez.

Not a hope!

But defo will be putting in a strong CL place challenge.

IF we did sign:
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Mhhitaryan
    Poppulousgfhfipoupleue

and Suarez stayed and we had no long term early season injuries:then when you look at players by position, then we have very good back up across the pitch .
    Still a little short at the back but the blooding of the youth this season should stand for us.

Plus, it's not Rodgers who agrees the fee. The committee agree the targets and a value expectation, and Ayre has to make that happen. It certainly worked better in Jan than last summer (Sturridge & Countinho v Allen, Borini and Assaidi).

If we can get Papa for about £15M, Aspas for under £8M and Ilori & Alberto for combined under £10M, then we'll have done a fine job.

If we're absolving Rodgers from responsibility on that front (which might be correct), we'd have to absolve the previous regime too...

Assaidi
    Borini
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Allen

is still ~£50m of talent. There are no guarantees, but shopping in the £10m per player range is not bargain basement territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Leiva wrote: »
    I see oul Moley has tweeted that he thinks we could challenge for the title if we sign all the players we are linked with, and also keep Suarez.

Not a hope!

IF we did sign:
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Mhhitaryan
    Poppulousgfhfipoupleue

and Suarez stayed and we had no long term early season injuries:then when you look at players by position, then we have very good back up across the pitch .
    Still a little short at the back but the blooding of the youth this season should stand for us.

Yeah for sure, i think with the top 4 changing managers and spurs losing out on cl if theres ever a time to make an assault on the top 4 its next season for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Some quotes from Luis Alberto on Sky Sports.

Basically saying that he is a Sevilla player for the moment and cannot comment any further on it.

I would love if Suarez had the same tact when dealing with such questions.

Sturridge wasn't cheap, and I think he's very much in the last chance saloon as a top commodity.

Really, we are getting down on the Sturridge deal now? He's been fantastic, there is NO way we can argue with the fee that we paid...

As for Borini, he missed most of last season, and is being played more as a winger when he does start. I'd refer more to his form in the previous season to attest to his ability. I think he deserves a full season before we can judge him either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Just to let you all know Block G Raptor on RAWK has got the ball rolling for an Irish JFT96 banner to be made for our game against Celtic at the Aviva in August. If you're interested in donating here is the link for the information you need. Any donations greatly appreciated

:)

If we're absolving Rodgers from responsibility on that front (which might be correct), we'd have to absolve the previous regime too...

Assaidi
    Borini
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Allen

is still ~£50m of talent. There are no guarantees, but shopping in the £10m per player range is not bargain basement territory.

I agree there are no guarantees , but I there are few players that you can find below £5-£8m that are gonna be gems. For every Michu you buy there are probably 10 x of Mido's. I think the bracket for players we can attract is between £6-£12m & maybe a £15m at a push. The problem with that is you have to be very lucky with your scouting.
    I would also assume that if a clubs achieves over 60% success rate in transfers they are more than happy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

djPSB wrote: »
    Some quotes from Luis Alberto on Sky Sports.

Basically saying that he is a Sevilla player for the moment and cannot comment any further on it.

I would love if Suarez had the same tact when dealing with such questions.

That's my Main Gripe with Suarez. This could all be handled differently, had he use some Common Sense.

But, No. He wants some Bloody Media Circus. The same Media Circus that he Blames as his Reasons for Leaving.

I'll admit, that it's definitely Souring me on him.

If anyone can speak Spanish the Aspas press conference is on now.

http://celtatv.interoud.tv/?speed=3472

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Assaidi
    Borini
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Allen

Im not sure how much the managers would be involved in the fee setting but maybe they give a ball park as to what they think they are worth and the team take over negotiations. I have never thought Kenny was to blame for the fees paid....that would have been a certain French man IMO. The chosen targets however were underwhelming to say the least. Many are to blame for that.

Leiva wrote: »

Not a hope!

IF we did sign:
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Mhhitaryan
    Poppulousgfhfipoupleue

I would like to think that if we got the above players and sold Suarez then we would be back in for another top striker. All of those above are needed regardless of Suarez and BR has pretty much said so in the past (before Suarezgate blew up).

I agree there are no guarantees , but I there are few players that you can find below £5-£8m that are gonna be gems. For every Michu you buy there are probably 10 x of Mido's. I think the bracket for players we can attract is between £6-£12m & maybe a £15m at a push. The problem with that is you have to be very lucky with your scouting.

There is also a difference in paying £5-8 for a 20 year old, or a 25 year old. Coutinho was very low risk for us at £8.5M - his style and clear ability means that he'll always be an attractive player, so even if it doesn't work out with is, there is a gerat chance we'll recover most or all the fee.

Not so much on Aspas, who is 25 now, so we are spending moreso on current form/showing and hoping we get his best years...

• Advertisement

I would assume this is how the possible new signings will fit in if we get them :).

Ilori - back up for CB/LB

Papa - 1st team to replace Skrtel

Alberto - I guess will most probably be a fringe player initially.

Aspas - 1st team with Suarez suspended or if he goes

Toure - back up CB

Mkhitaryan - 1st team

Possible lining up like this for 1st game of the season ??

abEXeGlaft.jpg

It looks good IMO. I dont know Aspas though so would like a better striker in there as a starter if Luis goes.

Not sure where this came out of but some journos have said this.
    Carroll can look forward to a pay-off of up to £5 million from #LFC should he decide to join West Ham United over the next few days.

It could be a loyalty bonus which could happen if he was accepting a lesser wage, and the difference being compensated by the club for the period left under contract.

Am I the only one who thinks Allen was decent for us last season? I think he can go on and do a job for us. I would like to think Hendo can do the same but he really needs to step it up again next season. Both of them do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not sure where this came out of but some journos have said this.

It could be a loyalty bonus which could happen if he was accepting a lesser wage, and the difference being compensated by the club for the period left under contract.

Well if he does not hand in a transfer request, then he is entitled to a pay out based on a % of ther remainder of his LFC contract.

Same would happen with Suarez if he was to be sold without handing in a transfer request, although given the contract Suarez is on, his lump sum "loyalty" bonus/payout would be higher that whatever Carroll's may be.

As I have said a few times now, if a player wants out, then the player can hand in a formal request in order to get his move. Have no problem with players that the club move on getting their lump sum fee, but there is no way that any player who wants to leave should be getting a lump sum payment. If you want to talk to the media about the idea of playing for another club, then back that up with a transfer request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

klose wrote: »
    Yeah for sure, i think with the top 4 changing managers and spurs losing out on cl if theres ever a time to make an assault on the top 4 its next season for sure.

The likes of City, Chelsea and Man Utd changing managers will have little to no impact on Liverpool's fortunes imo.
    Those 3 are on a different level entirely and it will take a clusterf*ck for Liverpool to be near them.
    Only avenue those changes might make and its unlikely, is that you might take pts off them esp early in the season. Arsenal & Spurs probably thinking the same thing though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Same would happen with Suarez if he was to be sold without handing in a transfer request, although given the contract Suarez is on, his lump sum "loyalty" bonus/payout would be higher that whatever Carroll's may be.

As I have said a few times now, if a player wants out, then the player can hand in a formal request in order to get his move. Have no problem with players that the club move on getting their lump sum fee, but there is no way that any player who wants to leave should be getting a lump sum payment. If you want to talk to the media about the idea of playing for another club, then back that up with a transfer request.

If we give Suarez a single red cent for leaving us, I will punch a baby seal in the face. Dunno where I might find one, but that's how cross i'll be.

Maybe at the zoo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Well if he does not hand in a transfer request, then he is entitled to a pay out based on a % of ther remainder of his LFC contract.

believe it or not it seems Carroll got a pay increase during his WHU loan spell so the £5mil cant be from the difference in wage over the remainder of contract?

gafferino wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Allen was decent for us last season? I think he can go on and do a job for us. I would like to think Hendo can do the same but he really needs to step it up again next season. Both of them do.

Allen was very good for the first third of last season, something that seems to be ignored. Then he was fairly average for a month or so. But the final few months of the season he ranged from poor to average at best.

His downturn in form did seem to coincide with his kid being born and when he was meant to have taken the shoulder injury, so maybe a fully recovered and fully fit Allen can regain his early season form.

Allen was very good for the first third of last season, something that seems to be ignored. Then he was fairly average for a month or so. But the final few months of the season he ranged from poor to average at best.

His downturn in form did seem to coincide with his kid being born and when he was meant to have taken the shoulder injury, so maybe a fully recovered and fully fit Allen can regain his early season form.

Yeah thats what I mean - he actually was good at the start and as you say the shoulder injury may have effected him. But I saw some good performances in there showing he has it in his locker. Consistency is the key.
    Henderson too. He needs to be more composed. Yeah he has a great engine but we need more than that.

If we give Suarez a single red cent for leaving us, I will punch a baby seal in the face. Dunno where I might find one, but that's how cross i'll be.

Maybe at the zoo...

How could you?

Adorable+baby+seal.jpg

I dont know Aspas though so would like a better striker in there as a starter if Luis goes.

I should have said that Aspas would cover for Luis suspension. If he leaves we would definitely need a substantial replacement

• Advertisement

How could you?

Adorable+baby+seal.jpg

That shows you just how angry I would be!

Ok, so maybe i'd just hit him with a fly swat or something. But he'd know he'd been hit! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

yes. yes you are.

i do agree that he is worth keeping and will improve in the coming years though along with henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Allen was below average last season. Whether it was babes being born or injuries it was not a very good way to spend 15m imo. But hopefully I can be proved wrong.

That shows you just how angry I would be!

Ok, so maybe i'd just hit him with a fly swat or something. But he'd know he'd been hit! ;)

Lennie the Leopard seal says you are welcome to try swinging a punch at him anytime.:)

th?id=H.5020796317009780&pid=15.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

If you hit a Baby Seal, then that means you are Joking.

Try hitting a Hippo or two. That's when we know that you're Serious. :D

Crocodile-Must-Have-Messed-With-The-Tiny-Hippo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Lurker here.

One of my highlights of the year was Allens performance against Everton, Fellini in particular. Every time the ball was anywhere near him Allen was there to mop it up, so much so that Fellini ended up lashing out at him towards the end of the game. :D
    As usual though, he didn't get sent off for it. :mad:

Lennie the Leopard seal says you are welcome to try swinging a punch at him anytime.:)

th?id=H.5020796317009780&pid=15.1

Ah, I'll just bring a 5 pack of Penguins with me, I believe they are partial! :D

Ah, I'll just bring a 5 pack of Penguins with me, I believe they are partial! :D

108972133_crop_650x440.jpg?1300649929

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For me the turning point for Allen was Lucas coming back.

I know many don't rate him at all as a DM, but when he was playing there at the start of the season he had a very simple role and he knew what was asked of him. He was very good at taking the ball for Reina or the CB's and spreading to the fullbacks and generally was very composed on the ball and kept things ticking over. For me he was our best player in the month of September.

Then Lucas came back, and Gerrard had made the other role of the 2 of our 2-1 midfield his own. Allen was left floundering. I think it was against United away when he was played as the furthest forward of the midfield 3 and that was always a disaster waiting to happen. For me Allen offers little in the final third and the stats would back that up.

So Allen needs to try to be as effective as possible off the bench and when called upon. At the moment I see him as backup for Gerrard or Lucas, nowhere really else he can fit in

If you hit a Baby Seal, then that means you are Joking.

Try hitting a Hippo or two. That's when we know that you're Serious. :D

I said I was angy, not stupid! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not to derail the thread but has anyone been able to purchase a ticket for the celtic match?

I tried to buy them this morning and TM is telling me theres none available.

I know there are a few on here who rate him.....

Douglas's agent has confirmed that his client has a number of options, including in the Premier League.

The Brazilian-born Dutch centre-half is available on a free transfer this summer as his contract with FC Twente is due to expire on July 1.

Newcastle United have a long-standing interest in the player, having previously tried to sign him, and Sky Sports understands they still have an interest - although reports that a deal is close appear wide of the mark.

His agent Agent Rodrigo de Silveira Da told Sky Tyne and Wear: "At the moment there is nothing official, we were in Europe last week and have some options.

"There is interest in England, Germany, Turkey and Russia so we are going to discuss all the opportunities."

Da Silveira says Douglas is determined to book his place in Holland's World Cup squad for next year, so they need to get the decision right about his new club.

"His dream is to play in the Dutch national team at the World Cup in Brazil," he said.

"We need to find a very good club. This is the reason we are waiting."

Vicxas wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread but has anyone been able to purchase a ticket for the celtic match?

Seems to be the general consensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'd have more hope for Allen than i would for Borini anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

This - he was outstanding at the start of the season and his form dipped afterwards, like you said external factors could have played a part.

I do think that when he played higher up the field in a number of games he showed some lovely touches and eye for a through ball - nowhere near as good as Coutihno but in one of the EL games (maybe Udinese) he came on and injected some much needed life up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Douglas's agent has confirmed that his client has a number of options, including in the Premier League.
    /QUOTE]

Isnt he gone to Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

naughtb4 wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Isnt he gone to Russia?

Tranfermarket.co.uk still have him at FC Twente, if he wants to get into the Dutch starting 11, you'd imagine England would improve that more than Russia to keep his name in the mainstream.

Newcastle were definitely linked in the last day or 2

naughtb4 wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Isnt he gone to Russia?

Not according to that piece from Skysports.com

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8773391/Transfer-news-FC-Twente-defender-Douglas-looking-at-options-amid-Newcastle-link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Vicxas wrote: »

game sold out in about 45 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement