Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i remeber on Sky once Craig Bellamy was saying Ireland was one of the best players he played with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

MD1990 wrote: »
    i remeber on Sky once Craig Bellamy was saying Ireland was one of the best players he played with

This place is like the gospel according to Craig Bellamy lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'll be out on my own here, but I'd sign Ireland. Available for a minimal fee and you could prolly negotiate circa 40k wages. He has talent and could compliment the style Rodgers is implementing well.

YES&NO.

Stephen Ireland right now would be a little too risky for LFC at this moment in time.
    we are not exactly in the position to be trying and rehab a player and the time required to be giving - all still hoping he reaches his '09 performance levels again.

You are right but. Stephen Ireland (remember that one) would be a very good player for us, but just right now, and the position our squad is at (imo we have a few Academy players ready to sprout into the big time) I would rather give a player like Adorjan a crack at the whip.

For me its a timing issue rather than a clear cut..... NO piss off Stephen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

http://tomkinstimes.com/2013/06/welcome-to-iago-aspas/

By Chris Rowland.

The 25-year-old Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas is set to be our second confirmed addition to the squad this summer, after Kolo Toure, following the club’s confirmation that a deal is all agreed subject to paperwork.

The fee is reported as £7.7m. He had offers from Valencia, Portuguese and Italian teams and Swansea City – but the Reds were always his preferred destination. Aspas told Spanish sports paper Marca:
    “When I heard of Liverpool’s interest I did not hesitate even for a minute. Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world and although I had offers from Italy and Portugal and other countries I decided my future was in English football. I hope I will get help from Reina, Suso, Dani Pacheco, Luis Suarez, Coutinho, Lucas Leiva and Jose Enrique,” added Aspas. “I’m calm, but at the same time I’m very emotional about taking such an important step in my career.

“I was forced to cancel my holiday in the Caribbean, but the reason I did more than justifies why. When I heard of Liverpool’s interest I did not hesitate even for a minute.”

What sort of player can we expect?

At Celta this season, he scored 12 goals in 35 league games as they avoided relegation from La Liga on the final day. It was Celta’s first season back in the top flight following five years in the second division. Aspas can operate across the front line. Although he played centrally as a No.9, his exceptional movement, pace and ability to beat his man makes him more suited to a ‘False 9’ role.

He is described as a smart passer with the skills to put in accurate shots from a distance. His trademark is to cut onto his left foot from the right flank, so in that respect it’s Downing’s place that he threatens more than Sturridge, Suarez or Borini. His versatility will be a useful asset for Liverpool, and his willingness to chase down opposing players to recover possession would fit well with is sure to have caught Rodgers’ desire to press from high up the field. His inclination is to drop deeper and move into the channels to find space, and although only 5 ft 9in, he is also surprisingly good in the air.

As posted by TTT subscriber Verschlimmerbesserer, this bleacherreport article from January 2013 said every single Premier League club should be targeting Aspas. Here is an extract:
    Despite Aspas being marked by two or three players for the majority of this season, his offensive statistics are still in the same ballpark as world-class players.

What makes Aspas a constant creative threat is that he threads incisive passes outside the box, on the flanks and inside the box. His style is akin to Wayne Rooney [unfortunate choice of comparison, but you get the idea ...].

Take a look at their chances created area zones and it’s almost identical outside and inside the box.

The difference is that Aspas has launched a few Hail Mary passes from the regista position, he switches flanks more often and is a better dribbler but a less-accurate passer than Rooney.

Aspas is considered to be a strong personality, a leader on and off the pitch, something we maybe lack, especially with Carragher’s departure. He is not shy in letting his team mates know where he wants the ball played.

A couple of criticisms of Aspas are that he has a tendency to over-elaborate – an issue we are already familiar with with Suarez and sometimes Sturridge – and to draw a foul when keeping going may result in a better goal-creation chance than the free kicks he wins.

He also has a certain reputation for being a bit – hot-headed, shall we say? Just what we need, you might say, a controversial forward! Much of that reputation stems from him head-butt Deportivo’s Carlos Marchena in the Galician derby in March. He received a Suarez-esque media mauling and a four match ban.

ASPAS1.jpg

Some may grumble at this signing, saying it’s underwhelming, reveals a lack of ambition, that we need a ‘bigger name’ etc. But he is there to add squad depth and options rather than as an automatic first pick. And by now we must know we are not in the market for the likes of Cavani andLewandowski. We cannot outspend City, Chelsea and United. The only way we can hope to compete is to shop wiser, buy smarter.

Time will tell whether we have done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Apparently Carroll has went from being 50:50 to join West Ham to 75:25.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/hammers-close-in-on-155m-andy-carroll-transfer-8657074.html

That should pave the way for Mkhitaryan then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

djPSB wrote: »
    Sturridge has made a better start than Luis.

But I wouldn't expect him to reach the level Luis reached last season.

Suarez was phenomenal last season as I think we can all agree. In his first full season with us he only scored 11 goals in the league for whatever reason. Danny managed that from Jan to May and can easily match it next season imo.

Much of that reputation stems from him head-butt Deportivo’s Carlos Marchena in the Galician derby in March. He received a Suarez-esque media mauling and a four match ban.

Sounds like we have bought someone with a bit of fire in his belly (I like that) give me this rather than a yellow belly (no names mentioned)but lets hope it doesn't produce too many scummy incidents.

Beside the above incident hardly deserved the "Suarez-esque media mauling and a four match ban" ...it was more handbags;)

waahaaayyy gif this and add it to the Suarez roll of honour. Ladies and Gentlemen take cover. Their on their way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I keep forgetting we signed Kolo Toure :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I keep forgetting we signed Kolo Toure :o

I did that earlier as well! Was thinking of Aspas as out first signing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Formely talented players who have lost their way and are now available for little outlay when they have point to prove can work very well too.

Absolutely, this is an approach reccomended as one of the ways to get value in the market from the Soccernomics school of thought.

However, in this specific instance I'd agree with Leiva.

• Advertisement

It's really two good seasons - he was Villa fan's player of the year 2011 / 12. And his 2009 / 10 season was immense.

Definite gamble, but if he rediscovered his 2009 / 10 form he'd instantly improve us imo.

It was 08/09 that he was City's POTY. That is a full 4 years ago. Martin Sktrel was our POYT only season before last. And his Ireland's time at Villa, he was loaned out in 10/11, was better in 11/12 but still only played 24 times with 12 goal - which shows how pool Villa's other players faired, as they barely stayed up.

I don't agree for ONE second that even if he turned back he'd improve us. I would much rather trust in someone like Suso or Teixeira for the same role. They are part of our future, hungry to improve and impress, and no risk whatsoever.

Did we not learn from Joe Cole at ALL??

I'll be out on my own here, but I'd sign Ireland. Available for a minimal fee and you could prolly negotiate circa 40k wages. He has talent and could compliment the style Rodgers is implementing well.
    I can't see where we could fit him in. Lucas, Gerrard and Mkhitaryan are going to be the first three in central midfield. After that, you have Henderson, Allen, Shelvey, Coutinho and Suso who can also fill in in. I think he'd represent better value than Allen, but we already have Allen, so it's a moot point really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wouldn't go near Ireland at this point. I would have taken a punt on him two years ago but I'd rather sign someone like Mkhitaryan and in that case we'd have Coutinho, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Suso and Gerrard who can all fill in the AM role. There is no room for Ireland here imo.

There is only room for players who will improve our first 11 and we have enough squad players.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Did we not learn from Joe Cole at ALL??
    Different situation really, Joe Cole was signed on a ridiculous 4 year contract at £90k a week even though he had a horrific injury record.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Haha I've seen some bad shouts for players on here but Stephen Ireland must be the worst!! Wouldn't take him on the minimum wage!!!

Here's a thought...

If Downing is worth ~£8 million and there's talki of Nani leaving United for about the same - would anyone consider selling Downing and using the cash for Nani?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

f i'd the choice between £8-10m on McCarthy or Ireland for what would probably be £11-1.5m I'd nearly go for McCarthy.

From an Irish perspective, its an awful pity the way the whole Stephen Ireland thing went, its not like we produce many players with that creative spark.

although Trap probably wouldn't play him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Here's a thought...

If Downing is worth ~£8 million and there's talki of Nani leaving United for about the same - would anyone consider selling Downing and using the cash for Nani?

No.

gafferino wrote: »
    No.

really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

United would never sell him to us.

Leiva wrote: »
    really?

Yeah I dont rate him that much. He is capable of some great football but imo is too hot and cold. Would rather someone else.

Different situation really, Joe Cole was signed on a ridiculous 4 year contract at £90k a week even though he had a horrific injury record.

I am talking about the hope that someone with patchy injury and form record for 3/4 seasons would suddenly turn it around in his mid-career, cause the water is different??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

id take nani in heartbeat, not that it would ever happen.

Nani > young, velencia, zaha and could even include welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Don't like to be negative but the Aspas signing does not excite me at all. I have only seen him play a handful of times but from what I've seen he won't improve us much or at all and will be frustrating in a Babel kind of way. Here's hoping I will be completely and embarrassingly wrong about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Nani for 5-8m would be a great signing. Only thing putting me off is he's a grade A ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

No.

Just no.

We have enough media trouble with Suarez biting players.

The last thing the club needs now is someone who kills grannies on a whim...

Milkers wrote: »
    Don't like to be negative but the Aspas signing does not excite me at all. I have only seen him play a handful of times but from what I've seen he won't improve us much or at all and will be frustrating in a Babel kind of way. Here's hoping I will be completely and embarrassingly wrong about this.

God, I would have thought he was the anti-Babel! He looks to be about hard work, dynamism, finishing chances, and linking well with the others in attack. So like I said - the anti-Babel!

Milkers wrote: »
    Na Babel was a punt (similar in a way to Coutinho) that backfired. This lad from little I've seen of him should (hopefully) be a Bellamy type player

oh if only :(

BMtpHUUCEAIFQfY.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Dickerty wrote: »
    God, I would have thought he was the anti-Babel! He looks to be about hard work, dynamism, finishing chances, and linking well with the others in attack. So like I said - the anti-Babel!

Step away from the YouTube compilations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd definitely be in the Nani camp. Don't like the chap, but it's not a popularity contest out there, tis football, and he's a great player... most days.

From the ahem...Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL have been given the green light to press ahead with their move for Sevilla striker Luis Alberto.

Brendan Rodgers has been tracking the highly-rated 20-year-old for some time as he looks to bolster his attacking options.

Alberto spent last season on loan at Barcelona B in the Spanish second division, scoring 11 goals and delivering 17 assists in 37 league appearances.

As part of the deal, Barcelona were given an option to sign the player on a permanent basis for five million euros.

However, the Spanish giants have shown no inclination of taking up the offer for the Spain under-21 international.

And with the deadline now having expired, Liverpool are in pole position to sign the player, although they will baulk at the 9m euro (£7.7m) asking price Sevilla are reportedly seeking.

While Sunderland are also tracking the player, the Anfield outfit are nevertheless confident they can press ahead with the signing.

"I would have liked to stay at Barcelona, who wouldn't?" said Alberto. "But it was very difficult, almost impossible. I'll take the year and hope fans have enjoyed me.

"The truth is I was quite comfortable, but I knew my situation was complicated. I had to seize the opportunity and become more mature."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Here's a thought...

It would be a no for me as well.

If the rumoured deals do materialise for us though, I wonder is Downing surplus to requirements and will he get sold just to generate some funds?

In the attacking area - if we sell Carroll but buy Aspas, Mkhitaryan & Alberto will we be selling another player, or are we going to boost squad numbers/depth overall? If the above happened I think personally either Downing or Assaidi will be sold to raise funds.

Seems a big fee for essentially a 2nd tier player. Did Alberto feature for Sevilla at all in La Liga?

Here's a thought...

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot while drinking a gallon of pi*s than see Nani in a liverpool jersey. He is useless and even if he was good I'd still wouldn't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

How would you feel about Scott Parker for €3 million and low wages or is he past it.
    Could provide good cover in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some of you really are mental. Last time I had a read it was no to Tevez and now it's Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

gafferino wrote: »
    From the ahem...Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL have been given the green light to press ahead with their move for Sevilla striker Luis Alberto.

Brendan Rodgers has been tracking the highly-rated 20-year-old for some time as he looks to bolster his attacking options.

Alberto spent last season on loan at Barcelona B in the Spanish second division, scoring 11 goals and delivering 17 assists in 37 league appearances.

As part of the deal, Barcelona were given an option to sign the player on a permanent basis for five million euros.

However, the Spanish giants have shown no inclination of taking up the offer for the Spain under-21 international.

And with the deadline now having expired, Liverpool are in pole position to sign the player, although they will baulk at the 9m euro (£7.7m) asking price Sevilla are reportedly seeking.

While Sunderland are also tracking the player, the Anfield outfit are nevertheless confident they can press ahead with the signing.

"I would have liked to stay at Barcelona, who wouldn't?" said Alberto. "But it was very difficult, almost impossible. I'll take the year and hope fans have enjoyed me.

"The truth is I was quite comfortable, but I knew my situation was complicated. I had to seize the opportunity and become more mature."

Priced at €4m above his valuation, he sounds right up our street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot while drinking a gallon of pi*s than see Nani in a liverpool jersey. He is useless and even if he was good I'd still wouldn't want him.

You don't like improving the team you support?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Priced at €4m above his valuation, he sounds right up our street.

Don't let that put you off. A valuation pre loan can only be judged on what the player is worth that moment at that time. Depending on how the player performs depends on that value highering or lowering or staying the same.

Could you imagine if Swansea loaned Michu and had an option to buy for €2.5m and for whatever reason they didnt take that offer now, another club is not going to get him for that price. Far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8776308/Top-ten-mistakes OUCH!! 3 Liverpool guys involved, saying that I thik 2 of them will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I can't understand why a fan wouldn't want whats best for his club.

Nani is quality when he is in the first team week in week out, does have some poor games here and there but what player doesnt. No one can deny that he has huge talent. I don't want Nani to leave United as i feel Moyes can rejuvenate his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Don't let that put you off. A valuation pre loan can only be judged on what the player is worth that moment at that time. Depending on how the player performs depends on that value highering or lowering or staying the same.

Could you imagine if Swansea loaned Michu and had an option to buy for €2.5m and for whatever reason they didnt take that offer now, another club is not going to get him for that price. Far from it.

Was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm sure if the €5m Barca clause exists it would have been agreed before his loan, and his valuation will have changed after a year at Barca B.

Of course, if he's really worth €9m and Barca can get him for €5m, I'm sure they'd buy him. So at least some of it is probably untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

You should apply to be on those silly Lottery ads.

'WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR ONE MILLION EURO!?'

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

billy2012 wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8776308/Top-ten-mistakes OUCH!! 3 Liverpool guys involved, saying that I thik 2 of them will come good.

I knew id seen that article elsewhere, then i remembered Sky own the 365 website.

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/8769602/F365-s-Top-Ten-2012-13-Transfer-Mistakes...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ireland? Nani? To Liverpool?

:o

Oh and I actually rate Nani despite him being an utter ****. A deal isn't going to happen between us and United so talk of him especially is utterly pointless.

mormank wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity then if Sturridge gets an 8.5 for his first 6 months at Liverpool what would you have given Suarez at the same point in his Liverpool career?

Well, it must be noted that I had low expectations of Sturridge :)
    I was disappointed with the signing given what I had seen before, spell on loan at Bolton aside of course.

To answer your question regarding Suarez first 6 months, it'd have to be a 10 out of 10. Sensational. While not surprising, he totally revitalised things in how way we approached games. His work rate meant he was constant threat even when he wasn't scoring or notching up assists.

You don't like improving the team you support?

I cant stand Nani, he is a wimp on the field and I just dislike him. Contrary to what some appear to be suggesting, he is no good. The united fans I know are sickened when they see him starting as they see him as a liability on the field.

There are people I cant stand that I would accept because they are very good. Ronaldo being a good example.

It was just in your relation to even if he was good.

Yeah Nani is useless, maybe not useless but has more bad games than good, an Aidan McGeady type. I would hate if LFC signed him, be like having Ryan Babbel all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4by_jfIU3iY

WOuldn't be a fan.

Saying that, on his day he is a special player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lads, need we be reminded that Downing is our starting RW. Nani would easily improve us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement