Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Does that mean that Renia is out the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ah his bark is worse than his bite - unless your name is Ivanovic :)
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Suarez wasn't subbed off much this year much because when he was he looked like he gonna attack Rodgers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Was wondering the same,replacement or competition?

delw wrote: »

That was rumors earlier that Reina was going to go to Spain (?) a while back so maybe that is behind the scenes. Honestly, Renia is good but has made a few howlers here and there so competition is never a bad thing if he were to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Valdes has said hell honour his final year of his contract, barca could still cash in but at the moment it looks as if hes staying there. Who knows, reina might finall have decent competition for once :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The way i look at it.

Are we about to spend 10m on a back up keeper?. No.
    Would Mignolet join to be back up?. No.
    Why would we sign up a keeper like Mignolet so early in window?

Reina going this summer is my only conclusion no matter how i look at it. If im wrong i would be happy as it would be proper competition for at least one season but just cant see it with the factors included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

If Mignolet news is true then the only way Pepe stays is if he has told the club that he'll be moving to Barcelona next year when Valdes moves on and this has all been agreed between the relevant clubs. I find it hard to think we'd have the foresight to bring in a backup keeper to bed him in during that year but you never know.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

No way we can afford 10mil for a back up keeper so looks like Reina is on his way

No harm having decent competition for Reina.

It can only be a good thing for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

daithijjj wrote: »
    All of that is fair enough. I just see football in a more simple format.

I never made the suggestion that Gerrard and Suarez were the scorers or assist makers of so many extra goals, moreso that our two best players were on the pitch more to influence those outcomes. If its the case that people want to dismiss the notion that those 2 particular players dont influence us in more than the simplistic goals and assists then thats up to them i suppose.

Perhaps Suarez got taken off because Kenny felt we needed him for the bigger cup games which came thick and fast either side of league games from January onwards. Sometimes players do need to be forcibly taken off for the greater good of that players team over the remainder of the season. I think Gerrard would have played some games while injured also, much like Joe Allen this season maybe. I really dont think there is that much of a difference in how either manager handled the individual in that regard. Up to the player to tell the manager if he feels right to play.

Again, in simple form, our two best players missed a big chunk of game time (im not really interested in others because they are not our best players). Its not a dig at anyone, its just an opinion that i believe needs to be accounted into what people deem as 'progress'. Maybe im just a simpleton but for me, missing your 2 best players (or having them available) reflects what was achieved. So, if its ok with y'all, i will hold fire on talk of 'progress' just for now. And one last point, i wont be moaning about the medical staff being useless or Rodgers being useless based on players that are unavailable if that comes to pass next year. Its just football, sh1t happens.

Was having no dig at you either :). Was just saying that the stats you were using were the type that could be argued either way, and are certainly the type that when looked into at in isolation carry only a certain amount of weight at best. Butthen again the same could be said for most stats.

As for progress/regress or any of those boring (on this forum anyway) debates, I have no interest in that (again on here anyway) side of things right now. I was just looking at what you put forward for stat value rather than looking for any potential underlying debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The way i look at it.

Reina going this summer is my only conclusion no matter how i look at it. If im wrong i would be happy as it would be proper competition for at least one season but just cant see it with the factors included.
    Yeah agree that can't see Mignolet coming to be backup keeper but maybe he feels confident enough to put Renia on the bench,the competition can only be a good thing,if Renia does go surely we are back to where we are now with no competition for the spot

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I was spitting fire about Hodgson way before the rest of the thread on here caught on. ;) I was ridiculed during August and September 2010 for it too by the way.

Come off it. You were screaming in December about him being a world class manager with 30 odd years of success in major leagues.

The above is a wonderful work of fiction that in no way resembles the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kess73 wrote: »
    Come off it. You were screaming in December about him being a world class manager with 30 odd years of success in major leagues.

Pressed the quote button in rage then saw the qualifier, wp.

I remember losing my **** on here after we got our ass handed to us away at City in our second or third league match and getting into a huge snipey argument with whatawaster (somethings never change!). Our setup for that game was so naive it was plain he was way over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Kess73 wrote: »

Boards dark wins all day

The way i look at it.

Agreed. Renia will be leaving this summer I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    As for Portsmouth's financial status, we bought less than a year before they went into administration - that's about as serious as debt comes. Less than 6 months after we got Johnson, they couldn't pay the players wages anymore, and couldn't exist as a going concern. I'd be very confident they knew this was on the cards when they sold Johnson (hence the exodus of players at the time to try to get wages down and bring in money). It was at that point that the administrators sought deals to pay back 10p on the pound with their debt. Of course as we know, even that didn't help and they got even closer to folding, but at that point things were certainly very very bad.

I didn't think we had even received 4 of the 11 million they owed us before we bought Johnson (had it more in mind that we got 2 and were still owed 9), but I can't find figures either way.

The "10p in the pound" type deals that companies do in administration deals do not apply to football club to football club debts. Clubs have to settle their football debts and their salary debts, and then do a deal with the rest of their creditors.

The only way Liverpool would have lost that debt was if Pompey went completely out of business and out of football.

That was a risk, but its not completely right to say Johnson only cost X, because the existing debt was dead. There's certainly at least a 50% chance that Pompey would have continued in existence, if we hadn't have bought Johnson. for instance they could have sold him to someone else, and then paid back our Crouch and Pennant debt with that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I remember losing my **** on here after we got our ass handed to us away at City in our second or third league match and getting into a huge snipey argument with whatawaster (somethings never change!). Our setup for that game was so naive it was plain he was way over his head.
    I remember that well i nearly lost the plot completely watching that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

So lots of rumours of Mignolet and Mthitaryan coming in now. if we are looking at papadopolous, Lori and alberto thats about 60million. we can offset that by selling reins skrtel, Carroll and possibly shelvey and our transfer budget. I would tell Suarez he can leave next year.
    if we do all of the above it will be some summer and top 4 should be a shoo in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I reckon we'll do something like have Mignolet as backup for 1 season and have a sort of changing of the guard rather than booting Reina and making Mignolet our number 1 straight away.

At the start of the season Friedel was Spurs' main keeper but they phased in Lloris. He didn't seem too happy about it at the time but it's probably a smart way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Gbear wrote: »
    I reckon we'll do something like have Mignolet as backup for 1 season and have a sort of changing of the guard rather than booting Reina and making Mignolet our number 1 straight away.

At the start of the season Friedel was Spurs' main keeper but they phased in Lloris. He didn't seem too happy about it at the time but it's probably a smart way to do it.

That would be a very shrewd and sensible approach for the club to take. I hope you are right.

• Advertisement

Yeah agree that can't see Mignolet coming to be backup keeper but maybe he feels confident enough to put Renia on the bench,the competition can only be a good thing,if Renia does go surely we are back to where we are now with no competition for the spot

There is frankly zero chance of Reina sitting on an LFC bench, on his wage, the more i think about it.

There is frankly zero chance of Reina sitting on an LFC bench, on his wage, the more i think about it.

I wonder if Liverpool are to sell Reina, what sort of fee they will receive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It would seem madness to sign mignolet if Reina isn't going, given reina's salary and mignolet's transfer fee.

If valdes is staying at Barca another year, it leaves Reina in a difficult position if they don't come looking for him

Given the commitment Reina showed through out the years, and his obvious ability, it'd be a shame if he ended his lfc career sitting on the bench

Pedalstool wrote: »

Mignolet comes in for the same price (roughly) as what Reina goes for, plus a significant shave off the wages and the age of our first choice keeper. I think this is how it will play out. Im just not filled with the joys of Spring over the player coming in at that price.

Far less then he would have gone for had his replacement not already been signed. Clubs will know he's surplus to requirements, that the club want him off the wage bill, and wants out. Be lucky to get £5m imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Mignolet comes in for the same price (roughly) as what Reina goes for, plus a significant shave off the wages and the age of our first choice keeper. I think this is how it will play out. Im just not filled with the joys of Spring over the player coming in at that price.

This. Shame to see Reina going he's a class act and had regained his form in the second half of the season but Mignolet would be on a lot less money. I rate Mignolet by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I think this is the way the owners want it to play out.

It does seem excessive but the news is all coming from Sunderland so the price may not be quite that high.

I'll be disappointed to see Reina leave. Always a player I really liked. I thought he was really underated. Best distribution of any goalkeeper in the world in my opinion. A real leader by all accounts.

Perhaps Barca are pushing for Reina this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

NukaCola wrote: »
    People complaining sporadically about the topic being discussed zzzzzzzzzzzz

Fans discussing manager in football thread shocker!!

Feel free to change the topic joe.......

Its been this way for months tho. Round and round, the same few posters always against. Ive given up debating with them on why he deserves time. Theyl just reply stating we all believe Rodgers is the saviour.

Anyways, have to say im pretty disappointed with this news on Mignolet. I still think Reina is a quality keeper, not alone for his shot stopping but also his distribution.

If we were spending 5 million on Mignolet then maybe, but 10 million...thats a hefty price tag. Hope we get a decent price for Reina but Ive a feeling it wont be much over 10 million :(

To lose your main CB in Carragher, Reina, Suarez....thats a big part of the spine from last season removed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Taken from Irishkop, I hope to see a few of you in here over the course of the day/night. If interested in the bus please post on IK. I am not sure if its a good idea myself.

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22755&page=2
    I met with the lads in Lafayette last night, they are turning the bar into a Liverpool bar for the day, they are running specials all day of
    Pints of Bavaria €4
    All other pints €4.50
    Pitcher of Bavaria €10
    Bottle special €3
    2 spirit & splash €10
    All cocktails €5
    Pitcher of cocktails €20

There will not be any cover charge in to the bar during the day.
    They are also looking at the possibility of running buses to and from the venue before and after the game if there is enough interest. The bus will cost €5 return.
    If anyone has any questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Suarez running his mouth off again, talking up his move to Marca now. Still no sign of a transfer request, wouldn't want to lose out on all that money now, would he?

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-will-have-to-listen-to-offers-suarez-1.1532932#.UbxjMecp_To

Suarez running his mouth off again, talking up his move to Marca now. Still no sign of a transfer request, wouldn't want to lose out on all that money now, would he?

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool-will-have-to-listen-to-offers-suarez-1.1532932#.UbxjMecp_To

Have any clubs declared an interest?

It's not like real to be as quiet about a target as they have been about Suarez

Given bayern and real don't need him, would juve be a possibility? Though they're quiet we'll stocked in that regard

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Have any clubs declared an interest?

It's not like real to be as quiet about a target as they have been about Suarez

Given bayern and real don't need him, would juve be a possibility? Though they're quiet we'll stocked in that regard

You'd have to wonder that at the rate Liverpool are attempting to spend money, are they fully expecting to sell him later in the window?

Mignolet, Aspas, Illori, Alberto, Mkihtaryan and perhaps Papadopolous? At a rough guess thats perhaps £60 million worth of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

if he loves the club as much as he says he does then bloody hand in the request:mad: ill always admire rafa for not taking the sum of money he was owed. what was it? 5 mil rafa didnt take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm probably going to be slated for this, but I'm really nonplussed by the whole Suarez thing.

I said it before, I genuinely think that if were challenging in Europe and for the league and he was to stay around, he would end up as one of our greatest ever players. He's up there with Gerrard as the best I've seen in my lifetime.

Yet, I find myself not caring in the slightest with regards to his future, especially now with him running off to the media. He obviously wants to leave, and even if he stays this season he'll be gone the season after. If he does go for 40m, then we can start the inevitable rebuilding of our attack a season earlier.

Also, every ounce of abuse I will receive for this I'll probably agree with(Yes, including your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries), its just that this is the way I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

MarkY91 wrote: »
    if he loves the club as much as he says he does then bloody hand in the request:mad: ill always admire rafa for not taking the sum of money he was owed. what was it? 5 mil rafa didnt take?

Rafa did take his compensation. He also gave a significant amount of it to charities around the city. Perhaps its Kenny you're thinking of, he refused his compensation.

You'd have to wonder that at the rate Liverpool are attempting to spend money, are they fully expecting to sell him later in the window?

Mignolet, Aspas, Illori, Alberto, Mkihtaryan and perhaps Papadopolous? At a rough guess thats perhaps £60 million worth of talent.

It adds up alright
    MarkY91 wrote: »

Did he not take the cash, but then donate 96k to the Hillsborough campaign?

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Rafa did take his compensation. He also gave a significant amount of it to charities around the city. Perhaps its Kenny you're thinking of, he refused his compensation.

Kenny took the money. £8m iirc

Edit http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-ex-liverpool-fc-boss-3345286

Kenny refusing compensation is a myth.

Honestly, why on earth would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

As said above we can do this without selling Suarez. We would probably have a reduction in wages as cara, Skrtel and Reina and Carroll are on big wages. Selling them and downing or shelvey combined wig the budget will cover fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My mistake, read on here that he refused a while back.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    My mistake, read on here that he refused a while back.

Half of what you read on here is spoofing, a quarter is lies to suit arguements, and the rest I just make up as I go along. :)

Whatever your opinion on FSG, Rodgers and the rest, this is very impressive stuff from the club. A real focus and strategy in the transfer market. I don't think I've ever seen that at Liverpool before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Kennys Scottish they're not know for turning down money. If my memory serves it was a bit of a joke during his playing career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I've just been reading a Sunderland forum and they're all pretty pissed off that Mignolet is leaving for only 10m. They seem to think he's worth way more.

What seems to be a bigger problem for them is it's us he's joining. They absolutely despise us :D

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja 5m

Liverpool MD Ian Ayre was due to travel to Brazil for conference on Monday. Pulled out because of 'urgent club business'. No idea what

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja 5m

Liverpool MD Ian Ayre was due to travel to Brazil for conference on Monday. Pulled out because of 'urgent club business'. No idea what

They must finally be upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows 7.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I like the general train of thought in the transfer window so far as well as the desire to get business wrapped up as soon as possible, but I still have some concerns about it. I have to admit to being less than knowledgeable about most of the players we are heavily linked with, although they do look like the sort of players that can cause opposition a lot of problems. There is a high likelyhood though that if we have 3/4 regular new starters in the team next year, along with Coutinho and Sturridge with only half a season, it could take some time to bed in again, leaving us in a similar no mans land situation as this season to an extent with the promise once again of 'next season it'll be better'.

If we add Mkhitaryan and one of our main CB targets as well as perhaps Alberto as well as keep Suarez, we will have a very creative team potentially. Losing Suarez would necessitate bringing in a better class of striker than we have been linked with thus far I think, although sadly won't be top tier talent.

In theory I'm looking forward to the new season immensely, but if we see Reina/Suarez/Skrtel all leave before the end of the window that could be tempered very quickly.

amber69 wrote: »
    Kennys Scottish they're not know for turning down money. If my memory serves it was a bit of a joke during his playing career.

I don't know about his playing career, but I do remember him taking celtic to court over a pay off when he got sacked just after Barnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Think if you compare mignolet to de Gea he'd stack up pretty well but for 7 millions less.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement