Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Sure.

But Barca is Calling and Pepe himself wants it, so what can you do?

Buy him a solid gold house and give him a dump truck full of money . In fairness I wouldn't begrugde him moving but I'm sick of us selling our best players we won't have a shout of trophies or coming 4th if we keep doing it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina has been very good the last few months but I think selling him and replacing him with Begovic/Mignolet would be a decent move. I think he wants to go back to Spain so it might be best for all parties.

He'll be missed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

daithijjj wrote: »
    Did you catch Tony Evans on talksport earlier?. Basically says the same about lack of 'leaders' throughout the team.

No but was listening to the lads from the TAW podcast having a similar discussion earlier.
    Rumours about Johnson, Reina, Carragher gone, all big wage earners but really, need to start putting those wages back into the team or forget it. Evans says they want to reduce the wage further again.

Northcroft said that Pepe was speaking to Barcelona about a move himself in recent week. The thing he found strange was that we seemed to be actively encouraging the move or at the very least not doing much to try and hold onto him.

I just don't get what the end game is in all this. I mean they haven't shown any signs that they will suck the money from the club into their pockets. So why are we still obsessed with stripping it even further? I'd have thought we're long past having to shed money from it.

Opr

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd take Asmir Begović or Simon Mignolet as the replacement for Reina if he leaves.

What would you have said about either of those this time last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Did you catch Tony Evans on talksport earlier?. Basically says the same about lack of 'leaders' throughout the team.

Rumours about Johnson, Reina, Carragher gone, all big wage earners but really, need to start putting those wages back into the team or forget it. Evans says they want to reduce the wage further again.

Also, he said that it was Rodgers decision not to bring in Sturridge last summer and that FSG wanted the player for the whole season.

A lot of guestimates (for the current season) are saying we are already on a par with Spurs, with them increasing and us lowering (by a lot).

Its only 4 minutes on the 'wireless'.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/hawksbee-and-jacobs/130520/evans-liverpool-set-summer-clear-out-197993

Don't post here much but had to over this. What does this Evans lad know? I'm sure he was coming out with some insider information last year that turned out to be pure nonsense. Can't remember what it was though but the name has stuck in my head as one to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Buy him a solid gold house and give him a dump truck full of money . In fairness I wouldn't begrugde him moving but I'm sick of us selling our best players we won't have a shout of trophies or coming 4th if we keep doing it .

I'm Sick of Selling our Best Players too. It happened with Torres, Masch, and Alonso
    (Sorry guys, I'm too Young for the others)

But I also don't want Players staying if their Hearts not in it.

I want Players that are willing to Bleed for the Shirt and Walk Minefields for the Fans.

If Pepe really wants to go, then I'll Wish him Luck and Move on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Also, he said that it was Rodgers decision not to bring in Sturridge last summer and that FSG wanted the player for the whole season.

A lot of guestimates (for the current season) are saying we are already on a par with Spurs, with them increasing and us lowering (by a lot).

Its only 4 minutes on the 'wireless'.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/hawksbee-and-jacobs/130520/evans-liverpool-set-summer-clear-out-197993

That Sturridge thing seems strange. It's not as if what Rodgers would have seen of him from Sep to Dec would have convinced him to buy him. Sounds like there is more to it eg like him not wanting to pay siggurdson over the odds type situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5starpool wrote: »
    What would you have said about either of those this time last year?

That they would be eye catching players next season. Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

opr wrote: »
    Northcroft said that Pepe was speaking to Barcelona about a move himself in recent week. The thing he found strange was that we seemed to be actively encouraging the move or at the very least not doing much to try and hold onto him.

I just don't get what the end game is in all this. I mean they haven't shown any signs that they will suck the money from the club into their pockets. So why are we still obsessed with stripping it even further? I'd have thought we're long past having to shed money from it.

Opr

Maybe Jonathan Norcroft is wrong or maybe it was tacitly agreed that if Barca did come calling LFC would not stand in his way and the management have already got tabs on the next keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would Begovic/Mignolet be good enough with the ball at their feet for Rodgers?

I wonder if he might go for Vorm.

• Advertisement

Vorm + Williams + Allen

Swanspool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

It might just be easier if we chipped in and reopened his lucky petrol station. Just saying, like;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Vorm + Williams + Allen

Swanspoo

Fixed that for ya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Vorm + Williams + Allen

Swanspool

Pity Butland went to Stoke....

Butland
    Williams
    Allen
    Sturridge

That would be a British spine capable of achieving big things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Back in the good old days we didn't seem like we were afraid to move players on if they were getting into the 28-31 region. We replaced them in kind or with even more quality.

That's the important part. There's nothing wrong with moving Reina on, so long as we're not intentionally downgrading to cut costs.

For example, if we get a keeper who turns out to be not quite as goodas Pepe, but the saving on wages allows us to sign a really good striker, that might be good business on balance.
    If we don't reinvest that saving though then we're just moving backwards.
    If he's as good, even better. If he's even better than Pepe, then backslapping all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'm Sick of Selling our Best Players too. It happened with Torres, Masch, and Alonso
    (Sorry guys, I'm too Young for the others)

But I also don't want Players staying if their Hearts not in it.

I want Players that are willing to Bleed for the Shirt and Walk Minefields for the Fans.

If Pepe really wants to go, then I'll Wish him Luck and Move on from there.

We all want that from our players but some of the players we sold in the past we couldn't stop them from leaving .

Torres : Something not right about that transfer at all . Something or Someone decided his time was up . It could have been the medical staff who advised on offloading him .
    Masch : After refusing to play he had to be sold because no player should ever do what he did .
    Alonso : I think he was happy at Liverpool until Rafa touted him around Europe after the 07 / 08 season . When Madrid came in he probably thought to himself I'm off .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

We all want that from our players but some of the players we sold in the past we couldn't stop them from leaving .

Torres : Something not right about that transfer at all . Something or Someone decided his time was up . It could have been the medical staff who advised on offloading him .
    Masch : After refusing to play he had to be sold because no player should ever do what he did .
    Alonso : I think he was happy at Liverpool until Rafa touted him around Europe after the 07 / 08 season . When Madrid came in he probably thought to himself I'm off .

That's my Point though.

If the Player himself wants the Move, then there's nothing really we can do except Prepare for a Proper Replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Opr

They seem to have a hard-on for "value for money".

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Some here might disagree with this, but perhaps the upturn in Reina's form is in relation to knowing that Barca's interest was genuine. Just throwing that out there. Overall though, despite being quite critical of him the past few years, if he indeed off, I wish him nothing but the best. No Liverpool supporter can begrudge him of going back home.

I'd be ecstatic if we got Sommer to replace him, Ter Stegen is less likely to happen truth be told since he's going to Dortmund.. I live in hope :P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Pity Butland went to Stoke....

Butland
    Williams
    Allen
    Sturridge

That would be a British spine capable of achieving big things.

Only if you put better players than them in the team with them.

In other news, looks like Bale is staying at Spurs after all. Terms agreed on a new deal which is a real pity for us if we are to get back to top 4 contention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

In other news, looks like Bale is staying at Spurs after all. Terms agreed on a new deal which is a real pity for us if we are to get back to top 4 contention.

It might (dunno how long he had left on his contract) just be an arrangement between Bale and THFC to get as much as they can in a contract negotiation.

Lets see, if someone serious comes knocking what that contract means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I was being sarcastic.:o

I am pie wrote: »
    It might (dunno how long he had left on his contract) just be an arrangement between Bale and THFC to get as much as they can in a contract negotiation.

Lets see, if someone serious comes knocking what that contract means.

If he signs a contract it's nailed on he will stay for another season. Even if he doesn't I'd be surprised if he left.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

No but was listening to the lads from the TAW podcast having a similar discussion earlier.

Opr

Like i've been saying to people for quite some time, our metamorphosis into Arsenal couldn't be more striking for me.

budgemook wrote: »
    Don't post here much but had to over this. What does this Evans lad know? I'm sure he was coming out with some insider information last year that turned out to be pure nonsense. Can't remember what it was though but the name has stuck in my head as one to ignore.

I cant remember either, maybe thats because it was largely irrelevant???, dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

HOLY CRAP, that's amazing...

A video with music that's not like someone sharted in my ears. Good performance too. :pac:

gafferino wrote: »
    That Sturridge thing seems strange. It's not as if what Rodgers would have seen of him from Sep to Dec would have convinced him to buy him. Sounds like there is more to it eg like him not wanting to pay siggurdson over the odds type situation.

Siggurdson signed for Spurs practically the day the window opened, it wasnt exactly drawn out. Its also strange how quickly Sturridge was brought in Jan though!!!!

The rumour I heard is that Sturridge could have been bought for £18m last summer but Rodgers decided that was too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

I think it's confidence rather than arrogance. A team like Arsenal should expect to be challenging for trophies. Two things went throught my head at the time I saw them celebrating I thought "celebrating the chance to get knocked out of another tournament - strange" and second "RVP must be even happier with his decision to leave when he watches the Arsenal players celebrate like that". As a football fan I suppose it's sad to see a club like Arsenal fade that badly. I don't think it's surprising they haven't won a trophy in 4 years when you watch them celebrate like they did yesterday and it's not surprising that all of their best players have left.

What trophy did they win 4 years ago? Personally I don't find it surprising that they have fallen out of contention for the title during the period they have been paying off their stadium. I also think that people are crazy to write of Wenger as a coach and made this opinion very vocal to all my Arsenal fan friends including my younger brother when they were writing him off and calling for a new manager. Surely consistency of manager in itself is a strength and positive for a club to be able to avail of. Who knows how manager x would fare out and that leads to a certain amount of uncertainty and instability which is never good.
    As for the celebrations yesterday. As has been posted earlier, context is key obviously and anyone that is questioning the celebrations is seriously missing the context. It's easy to say that a 'team like Arsenal' should be challenging for titles and therefore should take qualifying for the champion's league and finishing a miserly 4th for granted but given how the season panned out, including their phenomenal form in the last 10 games, and their fierce rivaly with Spur's I would be surprised if they didn't celebrate it especially seeing as how it came down to the last game of the season.
    Anyway back to Liverpool related topics. Next season is gonna be very tough, even with improvement the only two teams that finished above us this season that I can see us finishing ahead of is Everton and Spurs, and that's only if Spurs lose Bale through transfer or some sort of horrific season long injury. I think expectations amongst Pool fans for next season need to be seriously tempered.

Interview with Pepe from a Spanish newspaper.

Good translate :

Pepe Reina: "Of course I'm excited to play for FC Barcelona"
    Pepe Reina is one of the best goalkeepers positioned to be signing for FC Barcelona , the Catalan adoption Cordovan goes through good times and the entity you want to recover to an imminent departure of Victor Valdes to the Premier League. Reina knows the league and currently plays in the English Premiership .

"I have three years with Liverpool . I am satisfied, at ease and my family is thrilled. Rumors are difficult to control, but flattered when a club like Barca is interested. It is a club I know well, is the club where I grew up. And no one is aware that would make anyone excited to play at a club like Barca. "

The discussion of the goal and contacts: "I do not know if there have been contacts between clubs or my agent. It takes all my rep and until there is something very firm never 'head? Heated. So, for now, not think there is anything very serious. "

It has its beginnings in the club: "The years in Barcelona were very good , I have the feeling of having a thorn finish not succeed there. I played more than 50 games, when he was less than 20 years, helped me to grow tremendously. I would have liked to play more there, of course, but should not dramatize. At that time the club was not well and may not have the patience necessary ".

http://www.nuevofutbol.com/2013/05/20/pepe-reina-claro-que-me-hace-ilusion-jugar-en-el-fc-barcelona/

Opr

7VnljOF.png

Stupid woodwork....

Whatever you do don't show this table to any Wigan fans. That would be just cruel. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    very good debut
    would be a complete waste of money if we bought McManaman from Wigan
    with Sterling & Ibe coming through

mormank wrote: »
    What trophy did they win 4 years ago? Personally I don't find it surprising that they have fallen out of contention for the title during the period they have been paying off their stadium. I also think that people are crazy to write of Wenger as a coach and made this opinion very vocal to all my Arsenal fan friends including my younger brother when they were writing him off and calling for a new manager.

Wenger has gotten very poor value for money from his squad over the last several years but the opposite seems to get spun in the media because people get too hung up on transfer fees and ignore wages.

I read recently that Juventus have 3 players contracted to £50k+ pw (Buffon, Chiellini, Pirlo). Arsenal have 25 (incl. Fabianski, Squillaci, Rosicky)

Assuming that's true (I can't imagine it's far off), that tells you everything you need to know about what's happened at Arsenal over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Blatter wrote: »
    Wenger has gotten very poor value for money from his squad over the last several years but the opposite seems to get spun in the media because people get too hung up on transfer fees and ignore wages.

I read recently that Juventus have 3 players contracted to £50k+ pw (Buffon, Chiellini, Pirlo). Arsenal have 25 (incl. Fabianski, Squillaci, Rosicky)

Assuming that's true (I can't imagine it's far off), that tells you everything you need to know about what's happened at Arsenal over the last few years.

I think their wages are still low by comparison to the teams above them.
    I'd imagine they have too many players on 50-80k but very few above it.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I think their wages are still low by comparison to the teams above them.
    I'd imagine they have too many players on 50-80k but very few above it.

City and Chelsea in particular aren't getting value for the wages they're paying either, but that doesn't excuse Arsenal.

Spurs' wage bill is around £50m less than Arsenal's, yet there is very little between the two squads ability wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

I'd be ecstatic if we got Sommer to replace him, Ter Stegen is less likely to happen truth be told since he's going to Dortmund.. I live in hope

if Ter Stegens goin to Dortmond Nuri what will happen 2 there keeper Bidenfella is that his name wat age is he he alwayxs looks pretty good every time i see them play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure if mentioned already, but Hillsborough doc on BBC1 tonight at 9pm. Investigates the police and political cover up, failures by the emergancy services, and the misleading inquireies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

MD1990 wrote: »
    would be a complete waste of money if we bought McManaman from Wigan

FYP

djPSB wrote: »
    FYP
    there was nothing to fix though

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »

I'm not sure if the comparison with Juve is a fair one as they wages across the board would be much higher in the PL I would have thought so I'm sure the same argumen tcould be made for Chelsea, Man city, and even spurs with what they achieved this season.
    That aside I do agree that their wage budget does seem to have slipped by their own once very high standards but nothing that is too obscene in my mind. I mean if you compare it to Liverpool's last season for example and we didn't even qualify for the champion's league. I'm sure Wenger will cull some of the deadwood and won't let it get out of control like ours was or almost was depending on which way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

MD1990 wrote: »
    there was nothing to fix though

ah no only codding.

Don't want McManamam regardless of what talent we have coming through.

Better value elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

BBC 1 - Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

I cant remember either, maybe thats because it was largely irrelevant???, dunno.

I Remember now. He said benitez didn't buy Aquilani so he could play. He bought him because he was injured and cheap and could then be sold for profit. Yeah, the cheap 18m player whose price will go up when he doesn't play. Good man Tony.

Awful ****e talk so would make me dubious about listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BBC1.

just horrible to watch, but the truth, set out in word and video, is refreshing all the same.

Tony Barrett saying we're looking at Kolo Toure who will be available on a free transfer when his contract with City expires at the start of next month.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3770156.ece

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

SlickRic wrote: »
    BBC1.

just horrible to watch, but the truth, set out in word and video, is refreshing all the same.

Shocking, heartbreaking, and some of it, disgusting. Still hope that all them in charge at the time will be bought before a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Tony Barrett saying we're looking at Kolo Toure who will be available on a free transfer when his contract with City expires at the start of next month.

Opr

my brother just said the other day we should go for him!..and brad friedel XD. but i disagree because friedel is a short term fix to reinas likely departure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Opr

Unless he's bringing yaya with him and has no chance of playing. Sterling done some job on hin at the start of the season

amber69 wrote: »
    Unless he's bringing yaya with him and has no chance of playing. Sterling done some job on hin at the start of the season
    disagree
    Toure would be a smart free transfer signing imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement