Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options
  • 24-04-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple just announced that this years developer conference will take place this June and will focus on "the future of iOS and OS X".
    wwdc_2013.jpg

Looking forward to see what new software will be released. As always, there's a possibility of new Macs been announced too. Can't imagine there'll be any iPhone, iPad or iPod updates though. Probably leave them till later this year.

Full press release.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

For me this is going to be all about iOS 7.

Nice logo to, all the colours are kind of blended together, maybe this means closer links between OS X and iOS??

Just seen tickets are priced at $1599 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

For me this is going to be all about iOS 7.

Nice logo to, all the colours are kind of blended together, maybe this means closer links between OS X and iOS??

Interested to see if any of the changes in Apple management will be reflected in these updates. Very little time to make significant changes but I can see some small tweaks throughout both OSes.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

theres usually a hint / theme in the logos every year. My guess is those colours in this years logo will be new range of cheaper iphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

price is cheap when you consider it's a week long and you actually learn a **** load and usually that work pays for you to go.

what's not cheap are the flights, the hotel and expenses for week.

eirlink wrote: »
    theres usually a hint / theme in the logos every year. My guess is those colours in this years logo will be new range of cheaper iphones.

I can't imagine they'll be announcing a new iPhone or any iDevices tbh. It's gonna be very software focused, even the invites specifically mention iOS and OS X. Maybe they'll update the MBA or Mac Mini. But cant see a whole lot else.

• Advertisement

Omg I see the message in the logo.

It's a swatch of colours. Swatch. Swatch - s = watch. They're going release a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't think they'll announce any new products.

Tickets sold out for this years WWDC in 2 minutes. Crazy, last year was a few hours. The year before even longer. They still have hype even without major product announcements at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm not expecting a watch, but it's the shape of a watch, has roman numerals and the tagline "The wait is finally over."

It really looks like clues to a watch. But I'm still not expecting one.

Edit: It's also the shape of the standard app icon, and the apple tv unit.Atv sdk?

Most likely unification across platform. Its all the shapes of the 2012 wwdc invite overlayed.

banquo wrote: »
    I'm not expecting a watch, but it's the shape of a watch, has roman numerals and the tagline "The wait is finally over."

It really looks like clues to a watch. But I'm still not expecting one.

Edit: It's also the shape of the standard app icon, and the apple tv unit.Atv sdk?

Most likely unification across platform. Its all the shapes of the 2012 wwdc invite overlayed.

One thing I'd hope to see is an ATV SDK. It would really make it a memorable event. I'd love to see it but at the same time I don't expect it. But who knows :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

This event will be important for Jony Ive. We will see what he's been up to in his new role with UI design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm as keen as anyone to see what Ive's been up to, but let's remember that he's only been at it since october. Will be a full year I reckon before we see how he's really doing.

9to5Mac have posted some of the expected features coming in OS X 10.9. Mainly aimed at power users with a possibility of Siri integration. They've a great track record of getting things spot on every year so I'd take these as pretty much fact :D

Nothing that really catches my attention but I'd like to see a more customisable Finder, something I still think is lacking in OS X. Another thing I think is missing, even if Caffeine fills the gap, is better power options. Like choosing what closing the lid does. It's annoying that you can leave the MacBook running and it automatically shuts down. Things like that I think need to be added as they're basic features.

Seems like there's a also a big change coming to iOS this year with the release of iOS 7. A big focus on 'flatness' it seems. Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Some interesting details of the possible new look and feel of iOS 7. The 'flat' look again being pushed big time. Also a tweaked lock screen, possibility of quick settings in notification centre and pan-able wallpapers (like on Android).

Full details from 9To5Mac. Could be a big possibility, this website has a great track record for getting things right.

So 1 week until the conference kicks off. Lots of rumours flying of a major focus on an iOS 7 redesign making it a much more 'Flat' OS and removing all of the Skuemorphism added by Forstall.

Also looks likely we'll see 4 updates to the MacBook family. Supposedly 2 MacBook Airs and 2 MacBook Pro w/ Retina. OS X will be getting a lot of 'Power User' features that some will love, others won't care.

Have to say I think it looks like the 'Flat' rumours could be true going by the WWDC app released today. Example below.
    BL2OxhPCAAAmbWh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

img_9035.jpeg

If there is any hint to what could be announces at WWDC within the invite, I reckon it's "Flat" iOS7 design, the squares being the App icons, especially going by the banner above.

Really hoping for big things in iOS7, the last update was so lackluster and failing to sell what innovative things Apple can do. So much can be done with the iPad, for example, with the Home Screen with all the screen estate. It needs a reinvention and I have full faith Johnny Ive can pull it off. My only fear is that "Flat" could mean boring, or over simplistic design, the totally opposite of the skeuomorphic design we have now - a good balance is needed.

it's not going to be flat. if anything it's going to be more of a matte finish.

tbh i think this whole talk of a redesign is blown way way way way out of proportion.

here's what i think is going to happen...

1. the redesign everyone is talking about will be more of a 'steer iOS back on to the path that it took 5 years ago', with minor UI updates (like the status bar up top being able to blend in with the navigation bars of apps).
    2. updated figures on devices sold/ibooks/etc.
    3. We'll get a couple of really nice features for iOS and OS X.
    4. a handful of bug fixes
    5. a truck load of new api's*
    6. new macbooks.

* remember this is a developer event, there may not even be product launches here.

I think however and not a lot of sites have been pushing this - instead pushing iRadio and flat ui - is that apple will announce a more opened up version of the iOS that runs on AppleTv, opening it up for developers to write apps for. Call me crazy but this would be on my wishlist.

finally read this - http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/05/29/wwdc-expectations/ if you expect any more than that at wwdc you're going to be disappointed.

finally finally, whatever apple announce even if it's unicorns that shoot sweet devine nectar from its mouth and ****s rainbows people will still give out about it.

I'd really like to see an App Store for the ATV but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Normally details leak out but I haven't seen anything so far.

Looks like each of the core apps could get the 'Flat' minimal look and each having their own colour scheme. E.g. green for Phone, blue for Messages, brown for Contacts and so on. Looking at the invites and banners it seems to be a lot of apps each with it's own colour.

Not getting my hopes up at all though. All I want is software updates this year, wont be buying any new Apple products. So just hoping we get a few useful features. My favourite for a while has to be the whole iCloud thing. Makes things so much better and nicer to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

* remember this is a developer event, there may not even be product launches here.

Just because it is a developer event, it doesn't mean there won't be new products. iPhone 4 was released at WWDC in 2010 as well as the Retina Macbook Pro last year.

New product announcements are very much related to developers, in order for them to make the app's etc. So an iWatch could be revealed at the keynote but I don't think so.

I agree that iOS 7 won't be a major change but it will definitely be a big step towards a new future of iOS which I think will be very different when iOS 8 comes along. Let's face it. Forstall was still working on iOS 7 from June last year up to his dismissal so Ive would have had to do a crazy amount of work to change it all.

iOS caters for so many millions of people that Apple can't simply afford to change it around so drastically anyway. They won't change it just to satisfy 'techy people's' needs. iOS is too widespread across so many different industries to do that.

It will most likely be a polish of the whole OS with a flatter look in terms of killing off skeuomorphism and bringing some new features in.

Tim Cook did say they were going to open up iOS a bit so maybe expect Apple allowing you to choose your own default applications for example Chrome as your browser instead of Safari. Apple TV AppStore is well overdue and Apple are very focussed on this area.

Tim Cook's full D11 interview helps us to understand what might come about with iOS 7 and future products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-01_iMmSI

I reckon iOS 7 is going to be more of a design change than anything. I really doubt there'll be much added feature wise. Maybe take some of the stock apps from the iPhone and add them to the iPad. Like Calculator and Stocks. Unfortunately I can't see too much added feature wise. I'd like to see a few basics such as quick settings but again Apple seem to overlook a lot of the basics. Look at how long it took to implement a proper Notification Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    I reckon iOS 7 is going to be more of a design change than anything. I really doubt there'll be much added feature wise. Maybe take some of the stock apps from the iPhone and add them to the iPad. Like Calculator and Stocks. Unfortunately I can't see too much added feature wise. I'd like to see a few basics such as quick settings but again Apple seem to overlook a lot of the basics. Look at how long it took to implement a proper Notification Centre.

They can't possibly appear on stage on Monday and say they have made plenty of design changes and not announce new iOS features though?

Maybe none of the features will be actually useful though :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Everyone has mentioned the design changes but I'm hoping for a lot of minor updates. Just little things that all add up to a better overall user experience like allowing certain apps to auto update when charging and connected to wifi rather than having to manually update. Syncing higher resolution images for contacts. Custom profiles like setting it to School, Office, Sleep etc that automatically change ring, vibration and screen brightness etc. Shortcut menu to wifi, bluetooth, etc like others are mentioning. Widgits in some shape so I know what the score is in a football match without opening an app. This I love on Android and enable it for lockscreen too. Guest mode or multiple user profiles to allow sharing especially for the iPad. I'd like to have the ability to make Google Maps default instead of Apple's maps but I doubt they'll allow this. Synced notifications too. If I get an email and read it I want the notification to disappear on other iOS devices. Lots of little improvements like these I'd like to see.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They can't possibly appear on stage on Monday and say they have made plenty of design changes and not announce new iOS features though?

Maybe none of the features will be actually useful though :P :pac:

Oh there'll be features but nothing groundbreaking. What could they add that people would be happy with. The quick settings I'm sure is top of the list for a lot of people. But we'll see on Monday. I'm sure of some type of design tweak anyway.

Looks like new MacBook Airs will be some of the new Macs being announced at the conference. Hopefully featuring the new intel Haswell processors. Big step forward for battery life which is always a big thing IMO. One of the more important factors when I'm buying laptop.

Decent rumour roundup here of what to expect this Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Would love to see radio enabled, and shortcuts to Bluetooth etc..

Would also love to have a lockscreen like Android where it has the flip time and the weather

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd be happy with bluetooth file sharing and setting shortcuts in the notification bar.
    Also I wish they'd buy or integrate swiftkey into their keyboard..it's bloody fantastic.

• Advertisement

Would love to see radio enabled, and shortcuts to Bluetooth etc..

Would also love to have a lockscreen like Android where it has the flip time and the weather

That would be more of a hardware update than software would it not? So I doubt we'll see it Monday. I don't like the look of the Android lock screen. But I would like to see a new cleaner and more interactive version. Apple's take on what the Android one should look like.

I think iOS 1.0 - 3.0 was getting all the basics it needed. With iOS 4 and 5 lots of great changes were added that made it even better, specifically iCloud IMO. iOS 6 wasn't anything special. I think more of a focus went to intergrating it to OS X. They've had a very quiet 2013 so far so I'd love to see a few great surprises. But I won't hold my breath.

Advertisement