Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I find it slow when clicking on apps, opening them takes longer than before. Adverts app crashes, phone feels immediately hotter at the back, phone just rebooted itself while I was testing Siri (but just a quick one, basically crashing back to the lock screen).

Otherwise iOS 7 is fine. I'm not sure if the slower loading of apps after they're clicked is part of the new animation or not, either way so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyone else notice the time an hour behind. Mine was on auto and ended up wrong

3G seems a lot faster as well. I'm in maynooth today and don't remember ever getting speeds like this.

Can't upload the image but got 13mbps down and 2.85 up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

guil wrote: »
    3G seems a lot faster as well. I'm in maynooth today and don't remember ever getting speeds like this

Same data speeds. After updating, I cancelled down background apps and did a soft reset. Clock here perfect time. Wonder if its a daylight savings issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I like all the new features but I have decided I really hate the look.

The pastel, neon rainbow puke everywhere.

The new icons.

The white everywhere.

The font, so thin and hard to read. Especially in the sun light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DubDJ wrote: »
    I find it slow when clicking on apps, opening them takes longer than before. Adverts app crashes, phone feels immediately hotter at the back, phone just rebooted itself while I was testing Siri (but just a quick one, basically crashing back to the lock screen).

Otherwise iOS 7 is fine. I'm not sure if the slower loading of apps after they're clicked is part of the new animation or not, either way so far so good.

I noticed a lot of the initial issues went away after a reboot and restore of most recent backup. This also fixed the toaster mode that the phone had switched into.

Definitely feels faster than before.

Graham wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of the initial issues went away after a reboot and restore of most recent backup. This also fixed the toaster mode that the phone had switched into.

Definitely feels faster than before.

Lol what's the toaster mode?

guil wrote: »
    Lol what's the toaster mode?

Temperature of the phone rises exponentially the more you use it necessitating flame retardant pockets and/or carbon-fibre multi-layered boxer shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone not a dev who upgraded their phone? from previous posts it seems any phone could be upgraded but my ip5 is telling me it's not registered.

Blazer wrote: »
    anyone not a dev who upgraded their phone? from previous posts it seems any phone could be upgraded but my ip5 is telling me it's not registered.

Yeah I upgraded no problem and my phone definitely isn't registered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

mad muffin wrote: »
    I like all the new features but I have decided I really hate the look.

The pastel, neon rainbow puke everywhere.

The new icons.

The white everywhere.

The font, so thin and hard to read. Especially in the sun light.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. As much as I'm looking forward to iOS 7 in the back of my mind i have the feeling that some of the visuals won's sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Blazer wrote: »

Mine is a 16gb bill pay 5 on o2 and held down tab and update untuned to select the upgrade file. There are a few different files ie 4. 4s 5 as far as I know. I used the link posted by guil.

As a rule of thumb for people updating always restart the phone after the update. I always do it and it seems to clear up a lot of small problems. E.g. In the past I updated, and even with iOS 7, and I had problems with location services. They were on but wouldn't find my location on certain apps. Restarted fixed it last time and this time.

I've no dev account and my device isn't registered. Worked a treat for me. The phone isn't running as hot as before, it was only really right after the update. Battery life seems unaffected. Unplugged the phone at 97%. Messed around with it a little, and right now it's on 94%. That was pretty much the same as before, if not better, so that's one positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Brave souls... for some reason i have downloaded the file but probably won't upgrade at this point seeing as my i5 is a work phone.

naasrd wrote: »
    I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. As much as I'm looking forward to iOS 7 in the back of my mind i have the feeling that some of the visuals won's sit right with me.

Initially I was wowed by the keynote. Now that I'm looking at it. I just can't stomach it. It so god damned girly. :o

Saying that, even my wife hates the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I still like it, and there are genuine improvements throughout all the operating system - even stuff they didn't mention. ( Videos shows all purchases, as does music - on the iPhone or cloud - and videos stream).

However I think that there are some issues with the design. Its mostly good, but too much text, and not enough definition. They also have surprisingly squashed the scroll bar alphanumeric list too close - hopefully that gets changed.

Its clear that they believe that text is more useful than images these days.

Its a bit choppy on a 4S. Mostly very good, and not very buggy at all

Mail seems to store far more stuff on the phone too. Better for searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the big question i have about ios7 is...

can we pick our own ringtones yet?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    the big question i have about ios7 is...

can we pick our own ringtones yet?

Thats been available since 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Brave souls... for some reason i have downloaded the file but probably won't upgrade at this point seeing as my i5 is a work phone.

I'm in two minds about it too. Am downloading just to have, but in the back of my mind I know I'm gonna dive in and do it.

its really not very buggy, not that I have made a call yet :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Thats been available since 6

how? i mean like can i have a tune from metal gear solid as my ringtones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

naasrd wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about it too. Am downloading just to have, but in the back of my mind I know I'm gonna dive in and do it.
    like wise! downloading as i type. but hesitant to install as ill be away for a 3 or 4 weeks and cant be dealing with a kaputt iphone on top of all. in saying that i will probably have it installed by tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

mad muffin wrote: »
    Initially I was wowed by the keynote. Now that I'm looking at it. I just can't stomach it. It so god damned girly. :o

Saying that, even my wife hates the look of it.

Same. Was using it a bit this morning. The 'newness' has worn off very quickly and it just looks cheap and a bit lame.

I wonder how long before they change i OS7?! :D

Think I'll go ahead an buy a non-iphone for the time being.

Point to note: Google music worked for me using the app, but not in the browser and you control it from the new control panel which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gonna take the plunge.

If it messes up the phone I can just knock it into DFU and restore to iOS6. Nothing lost.

Same. Was using it a bit this morning. The 'newness' has worn off very quickly and it just looks cheap and a bit lame.

I wonder how long before they change i OS7?! :D

Think I'll go ahead an buy a non-iphone for the time being.

Point to note: Google music worked for me using the app, but not in the browser and you control it from the new control panel which is cool.

Yeah I've started looking at the lumia 925. I wonder when it's being released?

For the people contemplating the update... I've an iPhone 5 and it's really not that buggy at all. Major problems I'm having is one app is crashing (Adverts) and some of the apps take longer to launch when you click them (but that could be due to the new 'fade' animation).

Overall I like the newness of the whole thing. One major gripe is with some of the new icons. They need to have a darker tone or something, they're a bit too colourful. That seems to be the general concencous on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

How do missed calls appear now? Do you still get the missed call notification on the lock screen or have they gone all Android and do you now have to pull down the notification center to see what calls you've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any impact on battery life?

I'm on the 4s and iOS 6.1.3 has been terrible for the battery.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Any impact on battery life?

I'm on the 4s and iOS 6.1.3 has been terrible for the battery.

Battery life isn't bad compared to previous early Betas. Down to 80% battery remaining since 7am and that's with a few phone calls and some browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Upgrade went fine. Reactivated iMEssage and Facetime no bother.

I really like it so far. Love how you dont have to press the back arrow anymore, just swipe from the left.

The new app opening animation is a little too long but multitask switching is super quick.

Feels like I have a new phone!

EDIT: Interesting, Facetime is it's own seperate app now.

Advertisement