Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

automatic app updates seems to be crashing too. it sits there updating but nothing happens, so you go into the app store to do it manually, hit update a few times and nothing happens, then it crashes out to the lock screen and your app is updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Brightness bug is there..have to lock the screen and re-open to get back original brightness (as in screen gets too dim).

Another: ip5 gets very hot when charging..and seems to be extremely slow to charge as well unless there's some app wasting the battery..(killed everything though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Battery is over half gone, much too early in the day for that. Definitely going back to 6.1.4 which is a shame because iOS does look very nice. I like the future of iOS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

automatic app updates seems to be crashing too. it sits there updating but nothing happens, so you go into the app store to do it manually, hit update a few times and nothing happens, then it crashes out to the lock screen and your app is updated.

Thanks for reminding me to check, just looked at the App Store Apps and I can see 6 apps have already automatically updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

TBi wrote: »
    Tried that and it didn't seem to work at the start. Working now though, must have been doing something in the background.

I can't get iMessage to work but seems you need to have registered your UDID and do a proper install for this to work. Will have to start debugging apps for my friend who's a registered developer :)
    imessage is working for me and mine is not registered.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    Tried that and it didn't seem to work at the start. Working now though, must have been doing something in the background.

I can't get iMessage to work but seems you need to have registered your UDID and do a proper install for this to work. Will have to start debugging apps for my friend who's a registered developer :)

The iMessage problems and a lot of the App crashes were fixed for me by restoring from a recent backup ('restore from backup' in iTunes NOT restore iPhone), not tested with non dev-registered phones so do this at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I don't have any backup of 6.1.4 in iTunes (in hindsight it would have been a good idea) but i was short on time and just thought what the hell :)

Was nice to try out but i'm going back to 6 until the GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Now that all the excitement of WWDC has died down and i've gotten to really use iOS 7 and actually get used to the new look and feel my overall opinion is definitely positive.

Every time I tap the power button and the screen lights up I think it's a new phone. The new parallax effect, combined with the new Galaxy wallpaper and new cleaner fonts and lockscreen UI just make the phone look so much better and absolutely gorgeous imo. It's exciting to pick up my phone and be greeted by this whole new design, and looking at these changes I can understand a bit better how people felt iOS looked stale.

I was afraid of the changes Apple could of brought in that ruined iOS, and I didn't want to see that happen. But I think they've done an amazing job on the revamp. The new animations, the UI redo and the new features that were badly needed for some time just make this whole OS update my favourite one by far.

Another thing i'm amazed at is how stable the beta 1 is. For such big changes and feature additions to be included and have the OS running so smoothly is a big surprise for me. I still haven't come across one problem that's forcing me to downgrade. In the past i've tried betas of much smaller updates and just couldn't use them.

I think Apple have done an amazing job on the update. Only issues I can see (and it seems to be the general consensus) is that some of the chosen stock icons just don't look right. Safari, Mail, Phone and Messages I think need a change. They're too bright and needed to be darkened down or something. But saying that some of the others like Calendar, Weather & Compass I love.

Overall a solid update that has definitely got me excited about iOS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

DubDJ wrote: »
    Now that all the excitement of WWDC has died down and i've gotten to really use iOS 7 and actually get used to the new look and feel my overall opinion is definitely positive.

Every time I tap the power button and the screen lights up I think it's a new phone. The new parallax effect, combined with the new Galaxy wallpaper and new cleaner fonts and lockscreen UI just make the phone look so much better and absolutely gorgeous imo. It's exciting to pick up my phone and be greeted by this whole new design, and looking at these changes I can understand a bit better how people felt iOS looked stale.

I was afraid of the changes Apple could of brought in that ruined iOS, and I didn't want to see that happen. But I think they've done an amazing job on the revamp. The new animations, the UI redo and the new features that were badly needed for some time just make this whole OS update my favourite one by far.

Another thing i'm amazed at is how stable the beta 1 is. For such big changes and feature additions to be included and have the OS running so smoothly is a big surprise for me. I still haven't come across one problem that's forcing me to downgrade. In the past i've tried betas of much smaller updates and just couldn't use them.

I think Apple have done an amazing job on the update. Only issues I can see (and it seems to be the general consensus) is that some of the chosen stock icons just don't look right. Safari, Mail, Phone and Messages I think need a change. They're too bright and needed to be darkened down or something. But saying that some of the others like Calendar, Weather & Compass I love.

Overall a solid update that has definitely got me excited about iOS again.

Did you have to activate yours? I managed to get ios 7 onto the phone but was asked to activate so just restoring now

Did you have to activate yours? I managed to get ios 7 onto the phone but was asked to activate so just restoring now

Nope the whole process was simple and took about 5 minutes once I had the iOS 7 file downloaded.

2 things to check. When you were updating are you sure you clicked 'Check for updates" and not "Restore". DO NOT click the Restore button.

Also make sure you downloaded the correct version of iOS 7 for your specific phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

when you go to install iOS 7 you dont alt click on restore you click on update. then it should work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Interesting point about the "flatness" of the interface:
    One could argue that by making the user interface behave as if it is backlit, Apple is treating iOS 7 as a more integral part of the device itself. It’s not a mock front-lit interface with shadows and textures, it is a representation of the actual physical screen.

Source (via The Loop)

All the moaning about the colour of the icons is missing what is probably the most unique and innovative thing about the new interface: the sense of visual depth. While Apple have clearly borrowed from Microsoft's Metro interface, they've also improved on it enormously. iOS 7 is not flat like Metro is; there's layers of depth. If Apple continue to build on this, the result could be quite remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Anyone that's using iOS 7... Is your device "remembering" your settings on safari?
    For example, every single time I click from an email into boards.ie it forgets that I had selected "full site" rather than touch site the previous visit. And also it doesn't jump to the first unread post, but to the first post on the first page.

Anyone else getting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I can only get the mobile site. Clicked on full site at bottom of page and also tried taking "touch" outta the address. Just loads touch again. Pain in my tits, but hey, early days yet

And also it doesn't jump to the first unread post, but to the first post on the first page.

Anyone else getting that?

Yeah it's leaving me a few posts up the page and not bringing me up to the most recent unread post. Hopefully it gets sorted it's a really handy feature of the Boards touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Knew there was something off about the homescreen:

iOS7 dayglo Barbie makeover is UNFINISHED

redt0m wrote: »
    Knew there was something off about the homescreen:

iOS7 dayglo Barbie makeover is UNFINISHED

You didn't suspect iOS 7 was unfinished when it was only released to developers and had a 'Beta' tag attached to it?

Graham wrote: »
    You didn't suspect iOS 7 was unfinished when it was only released to developers and had a 'Beta' tag attached to it?

Steve Jobs wouldn't have let that out the door...

Graham wrote: »

Well, excuse me for expressing an opinion...

• Advertisement

Steve Jobs wouldn't have let that out the door...

General consensus seem to love it, except for certain App icons. Even all the Android Fanboys are using different arguments. Instead of "boring, crap and nothings changed" they've moved to "Android already had that" and "Apple copied Jellybean". To me that sounds like even they really like it.

Plus you have to remember that Apple wasn't Steve Jobs. There was a whole team that built, designed, coded and marketed these products. Now they're one man down. Lead designer Jony Ive is still there and still doing that he does best. Surely if it was so bad he wouldn't of let it out the door either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Its not even a beta, its a developer preview, the first DP. Things will change.

When you think about it, in 7 months they did an alight job in rethinking an entire OS functionality. There's a lot of problems though, but I'd assume that it will be ready for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well, excuse me for expressing an opinion...

Nobody is stopping you - you need a justification for your opinion.

The register article is click bait for anti-Apple idiots, this is a developer release not a beta, not even for general consumption ( despite showing some stuff in the KeyNote). Its always the case that either API or Look and Feel are not finalized because there are 3-4 months to do all that. Which is a lot of time for a team like Apple.

What is released for the WWDC is the most stable build of the OS which is ready the week before WWDC, and that is all. It is one of many dev previews, increasing in frequency from now, and generally reducing in frequency towards release dates. APIs will start to work, bugs will be fixed and icons will change. This is always the case ( just this time there are more icons to change).

I am pretty sure they will add more icons. Change icons etc. For instance iBooks is still the old skeumophic interface, but nobody is ranting about inconsistency there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Did they make note of that at the conference - that it wasn't even a beta etc re the look?

If not then it looks like they've just backed down against the negative reaction and tried to save face.

Hard to see them having such an unveiling for something they might not run with.

I know the features are the main point of the OS, but still...

Regardless, can't wait to see the finished article.

Sorry guys/gals but it is a beta, it was unveiled at the developer conference to give the developers an opportunity to test/re-work their Apps prior to a public release.

https://developer.apple.com/ios7/

Note the title 'iOS 7 beta for developers'.

As in most beta products, it is subject to change/refinement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's plastered all over Apples website. Galleries, images, videos.

They might change an icon or two but the look and feel will stay the same.

White, white, everywhere with neon and pastel all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mad muffin wrote: »
    It's plastered all over Apples website. Galleries, images, videos.

They might change an icon or two but the look and feel will stay the same.

White, white, everywhere with neon and pastel all over the place.

Not this time. More than any other iOS release, this is clearly a work-in-progress. A radical departure. Expect a lot of changes. It's obvious, for example, that the folders are simply tossed off and will change in look in betas to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

culabula wrote: »
    Not this time. More than any other iOS release, this is clearly a work-in-progress. A radical departure. Expect a lot of changes. It's obvious, for example, that the folders are simply tossed off and will change in look in betas to come.

I hope you are right.

Personally I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Can anyone find airplay mirroring? or is it gone?

• Advertisement

Can anyone find airplay mirroring? or is it gone?

I can find it within some apps, e.g. iTunes Store. Not able to find it anywhere else though.

Advertisement